British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   So just how many miles do you do a year? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/so-just-how-many-miles-do-you-do-year-890011/)

kodokan Jan 17th 2017 7:01 pm

Re: So just how many miles do you do a year?

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12151530)
The thread seems to have attracted a disproportionate number of people who make a virtue out of giving up their time as well as ease and convenience - specifically at least two non-working housewives who ride their bicycles as a means of regular transport.

*waves* I see it more as saving time by multitasking and combining two endlessly-recurring life tasks, shopping and exercise.

Mr Kodokan probably does about 3-4000 miles a year. When we moved here we deliberately got a house that's 4 miles from his work, so he does less than 2,000 miles for commuting, given vacations and business travel. He bikes there sometimes, too, as it only takes 5-10 mins longer than driving and doubles up as exercise for him.

I lived without a car for years in Europe, and plan to go back to doing so as soon as we no longer have to live in dull suburbs for school districting purposes. So this is like a practice run to see how practical that is in the US.

Pulaski Jan 17th 2017 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by kodokan (Post 12154267)
*waves* I see it more as saving time by multitasking and combining two endlessly-recurring life tasks, shopping and exercise.

Mr Kodokan probably does about 3-4000 miles a year. When we moved here we deliberately got a house that's 4 miles from his work, so he does less than 2,000 miles for commuting, given vacations and business travel. He bikes there sometimes, too, as it only takes 5-10 mins longer than driving and doubles up as exercise for him.

I lived without a car for years in Europe, and plan to go back to doing so as soon as we no longer have to live in dull suburbs for school districting purposes. So this is like a practice run to see how practical that is in the US.

:lol:

I pushed Mrs P to buy a house about as far away from my office as I thought I could get away with, no doubt beyond what most people would consider "reasonable". :unsure:

I also plan to buy as many cars as Mrs P will allow me to. Unless I win a major lottery prize I am unlikely to challenge Jay Leno, but with lottery money I would certainly give it a shot! :nod:

mrken30 Jan 17th 2017 7:28 pm

The problem I had with living close to work was that I would more often take the car and come home for lunch instead of cycling to work. 5-10 mins by car, 15-20 by bike.

ChocolateBabz Jan 17th 2017 8:14 pm

Hubby 20K - 25K, The Dude and myself have racked up around 12K between us.

Bob Jan 17th 2017 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12154292)
The problem I had with living close to work was that I would more often take the car and come home for lunch instead of cycling to work. 5-10 mins by car, 15-20 by bike.

The other issue we've found that being close to work also means if there's anything up, the missus is the first one called to check things out.

Like confirming that the alarm going off is because they're being robbed, rather than someone trying to shag the ATM at midnight.

Because, all that money spent on security is just for decoration :/

kodokan Jan 17th 2017 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12154274)

I also plan to buy as many cars as Mrs P will allow me to. Unless I win a major lottery prize I am unlikely to challenge Jay Leno, but with lottery money I would certainly give it a shot! :nod:

You and Mr K would get along roaringly well on this matter. His personal record for number of cars simultaneously owned is 7 or 8 (he lived on a farm with plenty of outbuildings, and not all of them actually worked). He has had 2-3 for most of the years I've known him; currently it's two, but there's mutterings about adding a third and taking up rallying this year. That'd push his annual mileage up a tad!

loubiblu Jan 18th 2017 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12154030)
On a slight tangent, but for the bikers here.

I just read a review about someone who was moving, had a Surly fatbike, Cannondale roadie, Santa Cruz for XC and a Rocky Mountain DH on the back of the car hitch.

Got rearended.

Almost $35K written off and that's not including damage to the SUV :o

Ouch :(

cxx Jan 19th 2017 12:45 am

around 20k on one car and 15k on the other

tom169 Jan 19th 2017 3:05 pm

So today I have an oil change scheduled for 3k miles since the last change in... November. Definitely driving more than I used to.

Pulaski Jan 19th 2017 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12156050)
So today I have an oil change scheduled for 3k miles .....

3,000 miles? :blink: You must have been drinking the Koolaid! :lol:

Nutek Jan 19th 2017 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12156061)
3,000 miles? :blink: You must have been drinking the Koolaid! :lol:

That equates to around 15K per year... Seems about right.

Pulaski Jan 19th 2017 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 12156068)
That equates to around 15K per year... Seems about right.

I was talking about the oil change interval! :nod:

tom169 Jan 19th 2017 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12156082)

Meh it's a rule I've always gone by.

Nutek Jan 19th 2017 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12156089)
Meh it's a rule I've always gone by.

Same here.

Cheap maintenance.

If I could, I would have the oil come out the same colour it went in. :)

Nutek Jan 19th 2017 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12156082)

Ah ok.

I like frequent changes myself. It's not like it costs much.