British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   So just how many miles do you do a year? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/so-just-how-many-miles-do-you-do-year-890011/)

loubiblu Jan 13th 2017 1:23 am

So just how many miles do you do a year?

The driver control system on our MKX indicated a fault this morning so I took it along to the dealership to get in checked out. They couldn't believe there were less than 7000 miles on the clock. We've had the car since Nov 15.

Go on then, post your mileage!

markonline1 Jan 13th 2017 2:10 am

Re: So just how many miles do you do a year?

Probably around 12k. Luckily, I have a world vehicle though, so mileage on my own car is probably around 3k max.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 13th 2017 3:05 am

About 14,000 miles last year roughly.

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12150571)
Probably around 12k. Luckily, I have a world vehicle though, so mileage on my own car is probably around 3k max.

What's a world vehicle? Google didn't bring anything specific enough up for me to figure it out.

Pulaski Jan 13th 2017 3:22 am

We used to put right on 25,000 a year on our Accord, and about another 5,000 split between the F250 and the Mustang.

Then little Miss P started school, so we could no longer commute together, so now it's about 25,000 on the Accord, and 15,000 on the F250, and a couple of thousand on the Mustang.

BTW the Accord has recently passed 320,000 miles! :blink: A bunch of things are still original, including the clutch, starter motor, and suspension.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12150602)
.... What's a world vehicle? ....

Typo, "work". :unsure:

loubiblu Jan 13th 2017 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12150602)

What's a world vehicle? Google didn't bring anything specific enough up for me to figure it out.

Typo for work vehicle?

md95065 Jan 13th 2017 3:55 am

About 20,000.

markonline1 Jan 13th 2017 4:07 am

Bloody autocorrect! Yeah, work vehicle.

Beaverstate Jan 13th 2017 4:29 am

dc koop Jan 13th 2017 4:52 am

As I'm retired I do about 5K a year. Longest distance driving was round trip from So Cal to eastern Montana (Little Big Horn battlefield) 4,000 miles

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 13th 2017 5:17 am

Originally Posted by loubiblu (Post 12150610)
Typo for work vehicle?

Never thought of that...lol..

mrken30 Jan 13th 2017 5:47 am

about 4k a year in one vehicle about 6k in the other. 10k in total.

dj6372 Jan 13th 2017 7:05 am

18k on my car, 5k on Mrs DJ's car

Nutek Jan 13th 2017 10:48 am

25K, between 2 vehicles.

rbackhouse Jan 13th 2017 11:48 am

kodokan Jan 13th 2017 12:11 pm

Bought my car in August 2015; it has around 4,500 miles on the clock.

I've recently got a lovely new electric cargo bike, and have a goal to do more bike miles than car miles in 2017. It helps that I have a teen learning to drive - whenever we go anywhere now, I toss him the keys so he benefits from more practice, and I benefit from not having to count those as my driving miles for my challenge :)

tom169 Jan 13th 2017 12:20 pm

In England I'd put on 8k a year and ended up with my VW Polo on about 105k miles. Plenty of stuff went wrong with that car. I certainly wouldn't have kept bailing it out if a trip across the pond wasn't imminent.

Here I'm certainly driving further. Time will tell what that equates to.

steveq Jan 13th 2017 12:50 pm

Around 16K

glowie Jan 13th 2017 1:07 pm

Bought car in June 2015, has now 20,500miles on it. so about 12-14,000 per year.
And hubby's car another 10-12,000 per year.

loubiblu Jan 13th 2017 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12150609)
We used to put right on 25,000 a year on our Accord, and about another 5,000 split between the F250 and the Mustang.

Then little Miss P started school, so we could no longer commute together, so now it's about 25,000 on the Accord, and 15,000 on the F250, and a couple of thousand on the Mustang.

BTW the Accord has recently passed 320,000 miles! :blink: A bunch of things are still original, including the clutch, starter motor, and suspension.

Typo, "work". :unsure:

My Nissan X-Trail had 240,000 on it. New clutch, tyres, belt thingie, but ran like a dream until 10 days before we moved here. Turbo blew - it must have known we were leaving!

Husband did around 40-50k back in the UK. Zero here, he hasn't even bothered with getting an Il license.

loubiblu Jan 13th 2017 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by kodokan (Post 12150854)
Bought my car in August 2015; it has around 4,500 miles on the clock.

I've recently got a lovely new electric cargo bike, and have a goal to do more bike miles than car miles in 2017. It helps that I have a teen learning to drive - whenever we go anywhere now, I toss him the keys so he benefits from more practice, and I benefit from not having to count those as my driving miles for my challenge :)

Yep, most of the miles on our car are my daughter driving to school if she's (who said deliberately?) late or if it's too cold for a 30 minute walk. My son used it for his 10 mile round trip to college occasionally too, but he was more than happy to take the bus usually.

I bike a lot too. I did around 3000 miles last year, lower than the UK, but I'm aiming for at least that again this year. I'm in a winter bike challenge with some friends to see who can get to 1000 miles between Jan-Mar first. I'm on 184 since New Year's Day, but it was really icy yesterday and even the studded tyres slipped on some roads.

Good luck with your miles.

Awesome Welles Jan 13th 2017 1:38 pm

Around 5000 in my Challenger - less than 1000 in my F-150. Most of my work miles are off the ground, or courtesy of Uber.

kodokan Jan 13th 2017 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by loubiblu (Post 12150934)
Yep, most of the miles on our car are my daughter driving to school if she's (who said deliberately?) late or if it's too cold for a 30 minute walk. My son used it for his 10 mile round trip to college occasionally too, but he was more than happy to take the bus usually.

I bike a lot too. I did around 3000 miles last year, lower than the UK, but I'm aiming for at least that again this year. I'm in a winter bike challenge with some friends to see who can get to 1000 miles between Jan-Mar first. I'm on 184 since New Year's Day, but it was really icy yesterday and even the studded tyres slipped on some roads.

Good luck with your miles.

That's impressive! I tracked my bike miles in December as practice for my 2017 challenge, and only did 132. I don't have a work commute, so the trips are errands and biking for fun. I don't mind the cold (balaclavas, lobster gloves and fleece-lined hiking trousers are fantastic) but I don't have studded tires so usually only ride above freezing to avoid the sheet ice that sneakily forms here.

kodokan Jan 13th 2017 1:45 pm

1 Attachment(s)
This is my new bike-as-minivan, good for transporting many pounds of groceries, and people too!

Bob Jan 13th 2017 9:48 pm

Between 7-15K mile...really depends if we go anywhere or not but even going nowhere puts up a chunk of miles.

Wintersong Jan 14th 2017 12:56 am

We bought our car in 2009 with about 36K miles on the clock and it's almost up to 100K, so around 9K/yr average I guess.

loubiblu Jan 14th 2017 1:30 am

I checked the odo earlier - 6319 miles in 15 months. It's our only car, just my daughter and me as drivers.

Lots of posts on here talk about doing so many more miles as a norm, but ours have reduced by almost 90%. It wouldn't be the case, however, if we didn't have access to very good public transport and live in a very walkable and bike friendly community.

RICH Jan 14th 2017 1:46 am

12500 miles in last 27 months, having checked my records. All commute, except about 1500 leisure, touring Florida.

loubiblu Jan 14th 2017 2:30 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by kodokan (Post 12150948)
This is my new bike-as-minivan, good for transporting many pounds of groceries, and people too!

Nice set up. I've got an old beater as a winter commuter. The panniers on the back are enough for a Trader Joe's trip a few times a week.

Attachment 126813

mrken30 Jan 14th 2017 3:49 am

Some interesting replies. From what people have responded, they do not do many more or less miles than they would in the UK. I was expecting more people to say over 20k

Pulaski Jan 14th 2017 3:56 am

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12151529)
Some interesting replies. From what people have responded, they do not do many more or less miles than they would in the UK. I was expecting more people to say over 20k

The thread seems to have attracted a disproportionate number of people who make a virtue out of giving up their time as well as ease and convenience - specifically at least two non-working housewives who ride their bicycles as a means of regular transport.

lansbury Jan 14th 2017 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12151530)
The thread seems to have attracted a disproportionate number of people who make a virtue out of giving up their time as well as ease and convenience - specifically at least two non-working housewives who ride their bicycles as a means of regular transport.

I don't use public transport and we use one or other of our vehicles whenever we go out. My Jeep which I purchased in June 2015 has done 4700, and the truck which is a year older has done 11,000. Not going to work every day drastically reduces our vehicle use.

loubiblu Jan 14th 2017 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12151530)

Yes, the replies surprised me too. Even though I live in a very walkable area with a comprehensive transit system, most of my friends drive, even very short distances. I expected more answers similar to Pulaski's original response. This country is huge, not everyone lives in the city, everything is so much more spread out.

As an aside, I'm not a housewife, I work part time 4 days a week. I mostly take the el, but do commute by bike at least once a week. I chose not to drive to work (as does my husband) because from leaving my house to sitting at my desk takes around 35 minutes by walk/train, around 50 by bike (inc changing clothes) and around an hour if I use the I290 with $20+ a day parking. If we lived in the burbs, that maybe different. :thumbsup:

Bob Jan 14th 2017 1:17 pm

I practically never drove in the UK, only time I did was really going home and back to uni. When I worked, I either took the bus or cycled everywhere.

Living in a town, close to work for the missus and working from home for me, doesn't make us typical though. Also, we're managing on one car.

FIL, was doing almost 300 miles one way for a spell and no, he wasn't a truck driver. He's down to nothing as he gets picked up now that the last of the Dodge trucks have died and the company saved money by not getting everyone a work truck to get to the woods but it's probably an hours drive in the morning.

Company is finding that they're not saving money as they hoped on reduced petrol and trucks because if one guy that has the truck can't make work, then that's 2-3 other people who can't make work and if one of them is running the crane or the slasher, then a site is basically dead for the day and that's not always because the driver is sick, but maintenance on the truck etc.

Pulaski Jan 14th 2017 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12151734)
I practically never drove in the UK, only time I did was really going home and back to uni. When I worked, I either took the bus or cycled everywhere. .....

Me too, .... or the train and tube.

I had a car and rented a garage for it, four miles from where I lived, because I simply didn't need it other than on weekends. I either rode my bicycle over to the garage when I needed the car, or I picked it up on the way home from work on Friday (the garage was also near a railway station), and put it back in the garage on Monday morning. :)

I/we did shopping for canned and packets, plus things like laundry detergent, every 2-3 months, and then did ad hoc shopping for fresh food on the way home from work and carried it on the bus.

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12151536)
..... Not going to work every day drastically reduces our vehicle use.

Not working would cut our miles too, but we would drive a lot more for pleasure, so I doubt the aggregate miles driven would drop much below 25,000 miles per year.

mrken30 Jan 14th 2017 2:21 pm

Maybe a lot more people work from home these days or decide to live nearer to work whenever possible. Not everyone wants to live miles away from civilization.

Walmart has penetrated the deep realms of the USA so now people don't have to drive 30 miles to the grocery store.

AdobePinon Jan 14th 2017 3:19 pm

28 to 30k a year. There you go.

Pulaski Jan 14th 2017 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 12151796)
28 to 30k a year. There you go.

Have you considered using a bicycle and public transport instead? :sneaky:

loubiblu Jan 14th 2017 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12151807)
Have you considered using a bicycle and public transport instead? :sneaky:

Behave :p

Pulaski Jan 14th 2017 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by loubiblu (Post 12151812)
Behave :p

:o

Wintersong Jan 14th 2017 4:22 pm

My husband, who works, drives far fewer miles than I do. He's done around 6K in the 15 months he's had the car. Mostly, his car drives to BART and back whereas mine is used at weekends and on longer journeys.