Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

So I've been invited to a "Royal Wedding" party...

Wikiposts

So I've been invited to a "Royal Wedding" party...

Old Apr 18th 2011, 5:26 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So I've been invited to a "Royal Wedding" party...

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I'll bet ABY can find an outfit like that is his closet.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Or an English Queen

Old Apr 18th 2011, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Sanctimonious prick. He needs a face full of STFU.

On the other hand, it is slightly surreal to see George Stephanopoulos positively gushing over Kate's dress on GMA.

Yes, but when he addresses Glen Beck, Bill O'Reilly and the rebublicans in general, in the same usual tone, it seems to have a more natural feel of normalcy.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 2:16 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Yes, but when he addresses Glen Beck, Bill O'Reilly and the rebublicans in general, in the same usual tone, it seems to have a more natural feel of normalcy.
I know but I can't deal with people on my TV talking down to me - even if it is someone with whom I agree to some extent.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Lakersdarge is an unknown quantity at this point

You could try trimming all that facial hair down into an awesome handlebar tache, then go to the party as Charles Bronson (Tom Hardy version, not Maginficent Seven version). Not "royal personage" but he probably should be....

also as a bonus you wouldn't have to worry about what to wear since Bronson's preferred regalia was going starkers
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:00 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

it is slightly surreal to see George Stephanopoulos positively gushing over Kate's dress on GMA.
Thanks. You've helped me to remember why I don't watch much television.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Green Park is a very pleasant area of open greenery (verdant green most of the time but soon to become yellowish and brownish if the present very prolonged spell of dry, sunny weather in most of the UK continues for much longer as it is forecast to do by the long term weather gurus at the Met Office in Exeter) and shady trees and shrubs scattered about here and there......it is diamond shaped and is situated immediately to the north of Buckingham Palace with Constitution Hill, Piccadilly and St James's lining all three sides of the park. The green open spaces of the aptly named park are criss crossed with pleasant walkways running in all directions and is a nice place in which to escape from the hustle and bustle of the city all around you - nothing can be done about the din of the aircraft up above though but in London you just don't notice them anyway.

However, I heard on BBC Radio Five Live this morning that practically the whole of Green Park has been "handed over" to the American media for the purpose of their coverage of the Royal Wedding! Even more amazing was the report that Royal Wedding street parties have been organised in Brooklyn, New York City in celebration of this event.

What is that all about? Why this American interest here? Don't they remember 1776 and all that? This has nothing all to do with them has it - it's not as if the USA is part of the British Commonwealth of nations - the Americans are equally as foreign to us, the British people, as are the people of every other nation outside of the Commonwealth!

Maybe all Americans share the same mentality as this very vocal and frothing at the mouth American guy I saw at Heathrow Airport sounding off big time at the immigration controls in the arrivals section on being told that he was not entited to use the UK/EU channels but had to join the all the non UK/EU passort holders. "But I'm an American!" he kept on yelling! I never fail to admire the equanimity and polite self control of all the lads and lasses manning the immigration desks at the UK Border controls at Heathrow especially.

I saw another American getting quite "upset" in a large department store till here in Edinburgh when his offer to pay in US$ was declined and yet the same till would have readily accepted payment in €

I wonder if I would ever get to understand the American psyche if ever at some time in the future (unlikely now ) I was able to get to live among them on their own home ground? I doubt it somehow but there you go - I only see (and hear!) them over here as either uni students or tourists!
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:23 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Green Park is a very pleasant area of open greenery (verdant green most of the time but soon to become yellowish and brownish if the present very prolonged spell of dry, sunny weather in most of the UK continues for much longer as it is forecast to do by the long term weather gurus at the Met Office in Exeter) and shady trees and shrubs scattered about here and there......it is diamond shaped and is situated immediately to the north of Buckingham Palace with Constitution Hill, Piccadilly and St James's lining all three sides of the park. The green open spaces of the aptly named park are criss crossed with pleasant walkways running in all directions and is a nice place in which to escape from the hustle and bustle of the city all around you - nothing can be done about the din of the aircraft up above though but in London you just don't notice them anyway.

However, I heard on BBC Radio Five Live this morning that practically the whole of Green Park has been "handed over" to the American media for the purpose of their coverage of the Royal Wedding! Even more amazing was the report that Royal Wedding street parties have been organised in Brooklyn, New York City in celebration of this event.

What is that all about? Why this American interest here? Don't they remember 1776 and all that? This has nothing all to do with them has it - it's not as if the USA is part of the British Commonwealth of nations - the Americans are equally as foreign to us, the British people, as are the people of every other nation outside of the Commonwealth!

Maybe all Americans share the same mentality as this very vocal and frothing at the mouth American guy I saw at Heathrow Airport sounding off big time at the immigration controls in the arrivals section on being told that he was not entited to use the UK/EU channels but had to join the all the non UK/EU passort holders. "But I'm an American!" he kept on yelling! I never fail to admire the equanimity and polite self control of all the lads and lasses manning the immigration desks at the UK Border controls at Heathrow especially.

I saw another American getting quite "upset" in a large department store till here in Edinburgh when his offer to pay in US$ was declined and yet the same till would have readily accepted payment in €

I wonder if I would ever get to understand the American psyche if ever at some time in the future (unlikely now ) I was able to get to live among them on their own home ground? I doubt it somehow but there you go - I only see (and hear!) them over here as either uni students or tourists!
Yes it is likely that on their own home ground, you would understand the American psyche a bit better. Take any person, animal ec out of their element and they tend to stand out. That's a fact Jack.

However, while I lived in Germany in the early 80s, you COULD pay in USD over on the Czech/German border whilst shopping, AND get a helluva good rate!!. There are some places in the world that they will still take dollars, but it's more prevelant when the dollar is stronger...........

Ignorance knows no boundaries.