So, I'm new...

Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, I'm new...

Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon
Thanks teacosy

My visa is valid until 31.12.2012 so we've got 4 years ahead of us. After that, I'll be trying to get into Grad school to do a Masters and a phd - which should hopefully give us another 6 years or so. After that...who knows? If Mr Obama changes the law regarding same-sex relationships then you can pretty much bet your backside that we'll be taking whatever ceremony is required. However, it's not at all likely that he'll make such a controversial change in his first term, but there is a slight possibility that things might change in his second term - assuming he's re-elected.

I think, for the most part, when people think about gay rights they don't realise that the lack of gay rights means that some couples are fundamentally unable to be together. It's easy to focus on things like healthcare, employment rights, rights as a next-of-kin etc etc and these things are ALL very important but don't affect a gay couple's ability to live together. But for an international couple, the lack of recognition of gay rights means, quite simply, that we can't be together in the US as a couple. And we're not the only ones. One of OH's best friends, also from the UK and in a same-sex relationship with a USC is facing similar problems - she's finished her phd and is now facing the possibility of having to uproot (after 7 years in the US) and come back to England without her partner.

I hate to get on a soap-box about this, and I know that any kind of immigration issue is hard work and stressful, but for gay couples it REALLY sucks. We basically don't exist.

Anyway, that's my morning mini-rant over and done with I'm waiting for a potential tenant to come view my house, then for a friend to drive down from Leeds for a few hours, then dinner tonight with my lovely neighbours. And at some stage in all this I have to continue with the packing...
Wow - that's a lot of school

Unfortunately, I wouldn't hold my breath for Obama to change the law fast, if ever. Anything's possible, but... He doesn't appear to really be in favor of gay marriage from what I've read - seems to think it should be up to each state. On the encouraging side, he appears to support civil unions.

I don't get too upset that a gay couple who aren't in some form of legal relationship (marriage, civil union, etc.) can't live here together in the US. Because neither can a straight couple in the same circumstance.

What does apall me is that the gay couple doesn't have a means to enter a legally recognized relationship. That is horrendously unfair. Whether the lawmakers should allow marrige (and horrify a bunch of the religious folk) or just civil unions, I don't know. But they certainly should allow civil unions.

Personally, btw, I'm all for gay/lesbian couples being allowed to marry. The only reason I'm vauge on definitely saying they *should* be allowed to here, is that I do believe in the will of the majority in this country - and I'm not sure what the majority wants.

But allowing at least a civil union - and immigration - I can't agree with you more, it is very unfair.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:46 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym

Unfortunately, I wouldn't hold my breath for Obama to change the law fast, if ever. Anything's possible, but... He doesn't appear to really be in favor of gay marriage from what I've read - seems to think it should be up to each state. On the encouraging side, he appears to support civil unions.

I don't get too upset that a gay couple who aren't in some form of legal relationship (marriage, civil union, etc.) can't live here together in the US. Because neither can a straight couple in the same circumstance.

What does apall me is that the gay couple doesn't have a means to enter a legally recognized relationship. That is horrendously unfair. Whether the lawmakers should allow marrige (and horrify a bunch of the religious folk) or just civil unions, I don't know. But they certainly should allow civil unions.

Personally, btw, I'm all for gay/lesbian couples being allowed to marry. The only reason I'm vauge on definitely saying they *should* be allowed to here, is that I do believe in the will of the majority in this country - and I'm not sure what the majority wants.

But allowing at least a civil union - and immigration - I can't agree with you more, it is very unfair.
Two male friends of mine were/are in relationships with Canadian men and for that fact they live apart. One is not too far from the border so he and his partner can hopscotch back and forth to see each other, the other sadly is too far away and poor to do that.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:53 am
Flaky Red-headed Goodness

SallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud of

Tracy - it's not so much the marriage, but as you say it's the lack of a legally recognised relationship. I'd be happy with civil union, something akin to the process we have here in the UK. We could enter into a civil union over here, and that would be enough for immigration purposes (providing all the other necessary hoops were jumped through, of course). That would at least go some way to equalising the situation in terms of legalities. The marriage vs. civil union debate is one for another day and personally not something that bothers me. I just want our relationship to be legally recognised so that we can stay together. Having a religious ceremony to do that isn't necessary to me (I'm a witchy type so we do our own thing anyway ).

And I agree with you about couples not being allowed to live together if they're not in some kind of legally recognised long-term relationship - like a marriage or civil union. I don't have a problem with the fact that gay couples can't because, as you say, neither can straight couples. There's no inequality in the law in that arena, we're all equally disadvantaged unless we're prepared to make a committment as a couple. Which, I happen to think, is a reasonable enough criteria for immigration. OH and I would love nothing more than to make a legal and public declaration of our committment to each other. Here in the UK we can do that BUT if we were to do that, it would cause horrific problems to my getting any kind of visa - I'd have to declare that I was in a civil union, hence it would cast questions around my reasons for being in the US (obviously) which would probably mean that a student visa would be declined - this is despite the fact that the same union isn't recognised over there, a case of the immigration authorities having their cake and eating it. Of course, we could just make life easier and live in the UK but for a whole variety of family reasons, the US is where we need to be. I'm lucky - my family is large and all in good health and doing well. OH has several family members in declining health and is pretty much the lynchpin in terms of their care. She can't leave them.

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Two male friends of mine were/are in relationships with Canadian men and for that fact they live apart. One is not too far from the border so he and his partner can hopscotch back and forth to see each other, the other sadly is too far away and poor to do that.
Cindy - it's an unfair situation. If they fill all other criteria for immigration, then why should the fact that they're in a same-sex relationship be a barrier to them being together? *sigh*

Last edited by SallyCinnamon; Dec 6th 2008 at 11:03 am. Reason: Forgot to add something!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 11:23 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Tracy - it's not so much the marriage, but as you say it's the lack of a legally recognised relationship. I'd be happy with civil union, something akin to the process we have here in the UK. We could enter into a civil union over here, and that would be enough for immigration purposes (providing all the other necessary hoops were jumped through, of course). That would at least go some way to equalising the situation in terms of legalities. The marriage vs. civil union debate is one for another day and personally not something that bothers me. I just want our relationship to be legally recognised so that we can stay together. Having a religious ceremony to do that isn't necessary to me (I'm a witchy type so we do our own thing anyway ).

And I agree with you about couples not being allowed to live together if they're not in some kind of legally recognised long-term relationship - like a marriage or civil union. I don't have a problem with the fact that gay couples can't because, as you say, neither can straight couples. There's no inequality in the law in that arena, we're all equally disadvantaged unless we're prepared to make a committment as a couple. Which, I happen to think, is a reasonable enough criteria for immigration. OH and I would love nothing more than to make a legal and public declaration of our committment to each other. Here in the UK we can do that BUT if we were to do that, it would cause horrific problems to my getting any kind of visa - I'd have to declare that I was in a civil union, hence it would cast questions around my reasons for being in the US (obviously) which would probably mean that a student visa would be declined - this is despite the fact that the same union isn't recognised over there, a case of the immigration authorities having their cake and eating it. Of course, we could just make life easier and live in the UK but for a whole variety of family reasons, the US is where we need to be. I'm lucky - my family is large and all in good health and doing well. OH has several family members in declining health and is pretty much the lynchpin in terms of their care. She can't leave them.

Cindy - it's an unfair situation. If they fill all other criteria for immigration, then why should the fact that they're in a same-sex relationship be a barrier to them being together? *sigh*
I don't know, to me, if a couple has a committed relationship, then they should be allowed to be together in a legal sense.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 11:28 am

SallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud of

I don't know, to me, if a couple has a committed relationship, then they should be allowed to be together in a legal sense.
My sentiments exactly.

The legal problem, I suppose, comes from the need to define 'committment' - which tends only to be defined in terms of marriage or civil union. But are OH and I any less committed than any married couple? We've spent literally thousands on flights, we speak every day on the phone for hours, we've been together for over two years, I wear a band on my finger that she bought for me, she wears a matching one. We define ourselves as a committed couple. If anyone wanted to examine the nitty-gritty of our relationship they would see very clearly that we are just about as committed as it's possible to be and, dare I say it, far more committed than some couples who don't see marriage as a committment, just as a big party (that's certainly NOT directed to anyone here, merely a general social comment). But that's not enough to allow us to be together legally.

Edited to add: Oh my goodness, I'm getting on a soap-box now. Will someone help me down before I get all un-necessary? I don't normally speak out like this and I'm terrified of offending someone, but clearly it's a subject very close to my heart.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:07 pm
Sursum corda

My sentiments exactly.

The legal problem, I suppose, comes from the need to define 'committment' - which tends only to be defined in terms of marriage or civil union. But are OH and I any less committed than any married couple? We've spent literally thousands on flights, we speak every day on the phone for hours, we've been together for over two years, I wear a band on my finger that she bought for me, she wears a matching one. We define ourselves as a committed couple. If anyone wanted to examine the nitty-gritty of our relationship they would see very clearly that we are just about as committed as it's possible to be and, dare I say it, far more committed than some couples who don't see marriage as a committment, just as a big party (that's certainly NOT directed to anyone here, merely a general social comment). But that's not enough to allow us to be together legally.

Edited to add: Oh my goodness, I'm getting on a soap-box now. Will someone help me down before I get all un-necessary? I don't normally speak out like this and I'm terrified of offending someone, but clearly it's a subject very close to my heart.

Ah Miss Sally, if you are speaking from the heart-THAT is your truth and that is enough,
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

And that just about sums it up indeed.

My sentiments exactly.

How amazing - you'd have to declare a civil partnership, but then (although it doesn't count) it counts against you. That's absolutely amazing.

Good heavens, don't be afraid of offending anyone! If they're offended by this - it's entirely their problem, and you'd be so better off without them!

Of COURSE it's a subject very cloe to your heart. My word, I can't say it's one that affects my life directly - but even so - I'm feeling so outraged for persons such as yourself. I can' hardly imagine how you must feel about it.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:37 pm

Thanks SO much

For the vast majority of people, immigration isn't something that springs to mind when you think of gay rights. Or vice versa. I, for one, didn't even consider these issues even as recently as five years ago. How life can change, huh?

It's so lovely to be able to speak openly about these things and even bringing awareness to other people is a step in the right direction.

This place rocks
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:17 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I'd say a swift hello...

Hi and welcome!

Gawd, I remember the cutthroat business of deciding which shoes to pack and which to trust to someone to deliver for you....worrying times

Hope the laws change in your favour soon
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks SO much

For the vast majority of people, immigration isn't something that springs to mind when you think of gay rights. Or vice versa. I, for one, didn't even consider these issues even as recently as five years ago. How life can change, huh?

It's so lovely to be able to speak openly about these things and even bringing awareness to other people is a step in the right direction.

This place rocks
You're very welcome

I can't say I'm extremely educated about gay/lesbian issues - but I'm happy to discuss things whenever you like - everyone needs places to talk, and everyone can always learn something new

Again, I'm sorry our country makes it so difficult for you.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

? We've spent literally thousands on flights, we speak every day on the phone for hours, t.
Of course you do ..bleedin women never stop talking ...

I am totally against this sort of thing it goes against my whole being ..
of course when everybody else is against it ...I will be for it ...
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:54 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say I'm extremely educated about gay/lesbian issues - but I'm happy to discuss things whenever you like - everyone needs places to talk, and everyone can always learn something new .
Can't say I know too much about the gay/lesbian issues of immigration (or anything else) either. You're right, everyone (except the total knowalls) can learn something new.
The country (and BE) needs more people like you.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:55 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Of course you do ..bleedin women never stop talking ...

I am totally against this sort of thing it goes against my whole being ..
of course when everybody else is against it ...I will be for it ...
Mornin Ray, on top form this morning then, I see?

So, when you putting on the Grinch uniform and parading around Brooksville then? It'll soon be time.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 5:11 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Mornin Ray, on top form this morning then, I see?

So, when you putting on the Grinch uniform and parading around Brooksville then? It'll soon be time.
LOL .. I like to be contrary ...
Old Dec 6th 2008, 5:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray
LOL .. I like to be contrary ...
Really? I'd never have noticed if you hadn't said so. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.