British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   So, I'm new... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/so-im-new-575132/)

SallyCinnamon Nov 25th 2008 1:35 pm

So, I'm new...

Thought I'd say a swift hello...

I'm moving to Lexington, KY on 15th December with my two children (they're 12 and 8) on F1 student visa - I'll be studying literature at University of Kentucky from January :eek: My partner is a USC but we have that whole same-sex thing working against us which basically means that I have to get out to the US on my own terms until (hopefully) someone (please) changes a law allowing us to have some kind of legally (and internationally) recognised partnership. Until then, I'm going to be an eternal student.

Right now my life is one long round of packing, packing and more packing. The moving company take most of my belongings away next Monday so we'll be living out of suitcases for a couple of months - we're told our stuff won't arrive in KY until late Jan/early Feb. How am I to cope without my 73 pairs of shoes for that length of time?? :rofl:

So I'm getting to grips with the forums, I've already found out some really useful information and it seems like a really friendly place. Hopefully there's room for another British ex-pat here...?

Looking forward to getting to know you all :)

another bloody yank Nov 25th 2008 1:41 pm

Re: So, I'm new...

Hello!:)

Tracym Nov 25th 2008 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7007987)
Hello!:)

Hi! :) (from another damn yank)

lisag8070 Nov 25th 2008 2:12 pm

Hello and welcome to BE..:thumbsup:

(you'll soon be addicted)..

cindyabs Nov 25th 2008 2:14 pm

Hello and welcome. Fear not, quite possibly KY in January and you won't need 73 pairs of shoes, just boots. :ohmy:

MsElui Nov 25th 2008 2:20 pm

hello!

the shipping companies always quote the worst case scenario - and that can happen - BUT it can also go a lot faster too. We had our air freight in 2 weeks and our sea freight container in 3 weeks.

lisa67 Nov 25th 2008 7:53 pm

Helloooo and welcome. Good Luck with the packing...it'll all be worth it in the end :thumbsup:

hatfield1 Nov 25th 2008 8:05 pm

OOOooooo….a newbie….Yeah welcome……:thumbsup:

SallyCinnamon Nov 25th 2008 8:09 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your kind welcomes :)

I'm so looking forward to being back in the US - I've certainly spent plenty of time over there during the last 2.5 years, it feels a lot like going home already. And I've already started the shoe selection process, I'm down to 10 pairs for my luggage, the rest will be with the movers. :rofl:

Kate2112 Nov 25th 2008 8:17 pm

Hello Sally Welcome to BE :)
Hope the laws in your state go the way you need them too (KY not a chance!)

SallyCinnamon Nov 25th 2008 8:22 pm

Kate, I know! But state laws would not make a blind bit of difference to us anyway, we need a change in federal legislation and that's not likely to happen for some time yet *sigh*

At least if all else fails we can come back here and 'tie the proverbial' - but family circumstances (ailing relatives etc etc) mean that it's necessary for us to be in the US. Ah well, hopefully it's not a bridge that we have to cross for several years yet.

In the meantime, I'm savouring the opportunity to be a 'real' couple rather than a trans-Atlantic one. Airports rapidly lose their glamour when you're in them every six weeks or so. Plus, I get to study - which has been a huge ambition of mine for such a long time. I'm lucky that I have the chance to do that.

Under three weeks to go, and counting...

Kate2112 Nov 25th 2008 8:26 pm

Sally, Keep studying ad infinitum :)

Things may change who knows but until then life is right now not somewhere in the future and it sounds as though you know that already. ;)

Hope the trip for you and the children goes well.

Bob Nov 25th 2008 8:36 pm

welcome to BE and good luck :)

Octang Frye Nov 25th 2008 9:21 pm

Sally Cinnamon? Sounds spicy.

You can call me Bob. Bob Oregano. Welcome.

SallyCinnamon Nov 25th 2008 9:56 pm

I'm a spicy character, Bob :rofl:

Now is that Bob Oh-reh-gah-no (with a nice English accent) or Bob Oregano (with an American accent)? Bay-sil or Basil? See, I'm already getting to grips with the pronounciation minefield. Spelling next... :eek::rofl: