Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

so, how does your FB data get used?

so, how does your FB data get used?

Old Jul 29th 2019, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: so, how does your FB data get used?

If you liked the "Great Hack" you should watch the movie, "Brexit"
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 3:33 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Nick Clegg has been busy as FB Global Communications topdog ( curious he got the job when the UK govt were doing a great job of investigating FB and Brexit).
India - they don't want to share citizen's data. Considering the size of India's population the potential business for tech datamining and FB in particular, this is an important time for all of us. FB have sent in the British ex-politician with his colonial guns blazing ( I'm having fun here...)
there are other links saying the same but this one seems to offer more insight. Talking about FB's platforms in particular in India (especially the FB currency which hasn't been taken too seriously in the USA).
https://www.livemint.com/

thoughts?
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Nick Clegg has been busy as FB Global Communications topdog ( curious he got the job when the UK govt were doing a great job of investigating FB and Brexit).
India - they don't want to share citizen's data. Considering the size of India's population the potential business for tech datamining and FB in particular, this is an important time for all of us. FB have sent in the British ex-politician with his colonial guns blazing ( I'm having fun here...)
there are other links saying the same but this one seems to offer more insight. Talking about FB's platforms in particular in India (especially the FB currency which hasn't been taken too seriously in the USA).
https://www.livemint.com/

thoughts?
We have already moved some off our PHI data to India
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I did a quick search of this thread using the 'search this thread' tool, and didn't find any reference to what I think is the best analysis of the danger associated with Facebook. I can't believe I missed this when it first came out, and I'm surprised to see it's not referenced here (I may have missed it but I searched the thread for 'Frontline'). This is a two-part documentary, by Frontline (PBS) in 2018, and is a thoroughly good watch; unlike 'the great hack', which I found to be full of gimmicks and overly focused on personalities (did we really need to see the main woman (Brittany Kaiser) swimming in a pool, putting on makeup, sitting on a plane, in a hotel room, etc?). They explain how your 'likes' and 'shares' define your 'profile', and also explain the importance of the 'newsfeed' feature, and 'groups', and how the 'algorithms' employed favor tension, and encourage extremist speech (the more outlandish the rhetoric, the higher the 'weighting' a story gets). There's also an interesting segment talking to Trump's head of media.

Comments above - that it was ok for the liberals to manipulate the media, and it's only now that Trump is doing the same that people are concerned - may be true, but that shouldn't be the takeaway here. This documentary shows how genocide and regime change in countries such as Egypt, Myanmar, Philippines, are all heavily influenced by facebook. You are right to be skeptical but watch this documentary and tell me you are still skeptical ...

Regardless of your politics, I think this is a 'must see', especially for those that dismiss the concerns about facebook. As a career technologist, it's crystal clear to me that FB is in way, way over its head and we have a monster in our midst.

Two 1hr segments. Watch both, but if you really, really can't spare the time watch the second.

Part 1

part 2

Last edited by Steerpike; Feb 22nd 2020 at 8:30 pm.