Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Snow clearing shooting PA

Snow clearing shooting PA

Old Feb 17th 2021, 2:11 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snow clearing shooting PA

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
No, not rhetorical at all. It's one I've been thinking about for years, looking for actual answers.
No need to look, I've just provided it.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 2:12 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I have to agree that the way that the US was built is partly to blame. The mythos of 'the old west' like Shard says above.

Self reliance, there was no (or limited) law. If the Sheriff wanted to make an arrest, he had to round up an armed pose from the citizenry in order to do so. If you didn't have a way to defend yourself, you were a target and a victim.

Taking the UK as an example, the right to bear arms was never a part of our DNA. We didn't need it. The country was fully 'conquered' a long long time ago. Not so with the territories.

You're trying to scrape off hundreds of years of history. Not easy.

So is part of the answer that this country is still very new (as a political state, not counting all the people who were already living here when the Europeans got here)?

I sort of get this with respect to personal weaponry, but why are we still ok with the level of violence that we have?
Old Feb 17th 2021, 2:12 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
No need to look, I've just provided it.

It may be part of it, for sure.

But what else? This is a country of immigrants, and at this point most of them have arrived long, long after this founding story was operative. Why/how are they influenced by it?
Old Feb 17th 2021, 2:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It may be part of it, for sure.

But what else? This is a country of immigrants, and at this point most of them have arrived long, long after this founding story was operative. Why/how are they influenced by it?
They buy into it (present company excepted).
Old Feb 17th 2021, 2:18 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I sort of get this with respect to personal weaponry, but why are we still ok with the level of violence that we have?
Majority apathy I suppose. These deaths are not happening in the areas where the people that make political contributions live. Added to the fact that a Constitutional Amendment is a very heavy lift.

I haven't seen any polling recently on 2A, but my guess it that it still commands majority support, people are just for regulating it harder. Congressional inaction on the regulation is a fait accompli with the NRA and Republicans around.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 2:39 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Having said that, we are back to my original question. What have happened to the US that it is the way it is? Why is the violence - and the acceptance of violence - so prevalent?
It's hard to identify one cause. My opinions, which are of course biased by my experiences and limitations:

- A major cause is certainly the large number of guns in the country, it's hard to shoot people if you don't have a gun. How you lower the number of guns in the hands of people with criminal intent... that's a tough question to answer.

- A refusal to discuss the issue honestly. I believe we have spent an insufficient time honestly discussing the causes of violence and defining solutions. We spend a disproportionate amount of time discussing fringe cases like police brutality and school shooting and essentially no time talking about low level crime in the US. People are actively disincented from discussing much more common gang-related or what I call "BAU" violence. The data is readily available, let's discuss it openly.

- Lack of opportunity. Too many people in the US grow up in an environment with few prospects. It's terribly unfair to children caught in this situation. I don't excuse people who grow up in a tough situation and turn to crime, but it's easy for me to point the finger when I've had plenty of opportunity handed to me. How you fix this problem is, again, very complicated. Offering opportunity needs to be accompanied by an expectation of excellence and accountability. You can't have one without the other.

- Lack of strong families and strong role models. I recognize that this is easily dismissed as a boilerplate white guy from the suburbs argument, but I believe that if you can't find love, belonging and support in your house, you will search it out and find it from wherever you can. This often will result in bad outcomes. Perhaps controversially, I think Daniel Patrick Moynihan was prescient in 1965 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ne...ational_Action ). Moynihan isn't perfect, but I think Moynihan's critics have too often resorted to ad hominem attacks and nonsense because his conclusions are sound. I also think the issue goes beyond just black families. Regardless, the data on this is clear and many people on both sides of the political spectrum have spoken clearly about the issue: outcomes of people raised in two parent families is shockingly better than those not raised in two parent families.

- Lack of education and lack of breadth of experience. Terrible schools are part of this, but there are broader issues of insularity and ignorance. A lot of violence is not from hardened criminals, it's just dumb-ass kids who don't know any better.

- Lack of second chances. I believe the criminal "corrections" industry in the country has many, many problems but the high rate of incarceration has undeniably resulted in lower levels of violent crime. I also believe that once you wind up in the system, you're screwed for the rest of your life. Of course, any solution relies on both corrections officers and convicts making an effort. Still, if you are making an honest attempt to turn your life around, there should be strong support... with strong expectations.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I looked up that incident I mentioned in the above post where the neighbor shot the neighborhood bully after years of abuse. It happened in California
google “bullets for the bully” the Navy commander shot him 12 times and got 8.5 years in prison.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 5:09 pm
Yo

What is BAU violence ?
Old Feb 17th 2021, 5:11 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Business As Usual? Maybe?
Old Feb 17th 2021, 5:13 pm
Yo

Ah ok. Seems to fit.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 5:18 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. I call it that sarcastically because it's (ridiculously, offensively even) background noise in the US. I look at something like this:
https://heyjackass.com/

... which shows a this horrifically unacceptable level of every day violence here in Chicago. Too many Americans seem to assume it can never be stopped and thus it's not worthy of discussion. Progress has clearly been made, after all the overall murder rate in the US is half what it was 25 years ago. Still, there's a huge problem we need to solve.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

When you have generations grow up exposed to violence you kind of become desensitized to it, and it becomes normal in a way and no longer seems abnormal.

I have been guilty of not paying much attention to gun shootings anymore, they happen so often and for so much of my life, its just the way its always been, I know for the area I grew up in, gun violence is down, but I understand this differs place to place.

Only real meaningful change will be amending the constitution, that wont happen anytime soon, not worth the effort, there is 0 chance of sufficient support in congress or states to even get it off the ground.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 6:15 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
When you have generations grow up exposed to violence you kind of become desensitized to it, and it becomes normal in a way and no longer seems abnormal.

I have been guilty of not paying much attention to gun shootings anymore, they happen so often and for so much of my life, its just the way its always been, I know for the area I grew up in, gun violence is down, but I understand this differs place to place.

Only real meaningful change will be amending the constitution, that wont happen anytime soon, not worth the effort, there is 0 chance of sufficient support in congress or states to even get it off the ground.
So true. We have a microcosm of that in Britain with (different domain) Covid. Our infection/death rates are astronomical, and yet the general public is habituated and accepts it as BAU.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 6:34 pm
I approved this message

Originally Posted by Shard
So true. We have a microcosm of that in Britain with (different domain) Covid. Our infection/death rates are astronomical, and yet the general public is habituated and accepts it as BAU.
It's worth noting that, unlike a pandemic, incidence of violence is highly localized in the US. Take a look at the map in the site I posted, the vast majority of even a "dangerous" city like Chicago is very safe... punctuated by small neighborhoods that have absurdly high levels of violence. I think the "general public" in the US is "habituated" to violence in those neighborhoods and only appropriately shocked when it comes out of those neighborhoods. This really bothers me.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 12:46 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Hiro11
It's worth noting that, unlike a pandemic, incidence of violence is highly localized in the US. Take a look at the map in the site I posted, the vast majority of even a "dangerous" city like Chicago is very safe... punctuated by small neighborhoods that have absurdly high levels of violence. I think the "general public" in the US is "habituated" to violence in those neighborhoods and only appropriately shocked when it comes out of those neighborhoods. This really bothers me.
Why does it bother you ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.