Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Snow clearing shooting PA

Snow clearing shooting PA

Old Feb 16th 2021, 3:01 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snow clearing shooting PA

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Individualism gone bad is certainly part of what feeds into it I think.

I did watch the footage. It seems these people had been feuding for some time - and because guns were available three people are now dead. At what point did it seem to that man that the way to deal with an argument with a neighbour is to shoot them?
The human mind can flip. Just yesterday I read the story of a Welsh man, 70, who suddenly strangled his wife because he was depressed and she told him to get over it.

That's an argument to take guns out of society (or highly regulate them) as they increase the likelihood of a rage moment becoming lethal.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 3:04 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
The human mind can flip. Just yesterday I read the story of a Welsh man, 70, who suddenly strangled his wife because he was depressed and she told him to get over it.

That's an argument to take guns out of society (or highly regulate them) as they increase the likelihood of a rage moment becoming lethal.

Sure. But "he flipped" is also, with all due respect, a cop out when you look at the sheer numbers of dead people here and the "reasons" that somebody "flipped".
Old Feb 16th 2021, 3:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
And then apparently come to his senses, realize what he had done, and shoot himself - to either avoid justice, or because he regretted his actions.
Well, that poor man never did come to his senses.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 3:05 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

But knife crime or any murder rate in the UK, as nasty as it is, doesn't approach the numbers of dead people in the US. Per capita of course.
Sure, because it's much harder to kill multiple people quickly with a knife the way you can with an AR-15.

As has been said before, the guns exacerbate the fatality rate, but they aren't the only reason the fatalities occur.

Or more lethal, at least. The political will does not exist though, especially since it would take the heaviest lift of all, a constitutional amendment.

Well, that poor man never did come to his senses.
Because he commited suicide?

If that's your point, I would beg to differ. I volunteered as a Samaritan for nearly 10 years and I can tell you that some suicidal people are extremely rational and calculating.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 3:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, because it's much harder to kill multiple people quickly with a knife the way you can with an AR-15.

As has been said before, the guns exacerbate the fatality rate, but they aren't the only reason the fatalities occur.

Or more lethal, at least. The political will does not exist though, especially since it would take the heaviest lift of all, a constitutional amendment.

This was precisely my question at the outset. Guns in and of themselves are not the only reason for the rate of deadly violence in the US that far exceeds the UK, or other developed countries that are highly armed such as Canada and Switzerland.

Remember this case? What about an argument over a parking space ends in "I'm shooting you"?

Warning, video contains actual shooting footage so don't watch it if you don't want to see that.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-44932283

Old Feb 16th 2021, 3:09 pm
Yo

Sure. But "he flipped" is also, with all due respect, a cop out when you look at the sheer numbers of dead people here and the "reasons" that somebody "flipped".
It's literally what happened. The dead are not so much because of people flipping, but because of easy access to firearms. And perhaps it's the access to firearms that enables a segement of society to revel in that absolutism about their rights. A kind of chicken/egg.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 3:13 pm
Yo

Because he commited suicide?

If that's your point, I would beg to differ. I volunteered as a Samaritan for nearly 10 years and I can tell you that some suicidal people are extremely rational and calculating.
Admittedly, I don't know if the whole thing was a staged massacre. I assume that this altercation was one too far for the shooter (whether this neighbor or society in general) and that his rage deprived him of any moral sense, and so he killed the couple and then himself. It's all tragic and they are all victims.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 3:16 pm
Yo

This was precisely my question at the outset. Guns in and of themselves are not the only reason for the rate of deadly violence in the US that far exceeds the UK, or other developed countries that are highly armed such as Canada and Switzerland.

Remember this case? What about an argument over a parking space ends in "I'm shooting you"?

Warning, video contains actual shooting footage so don't watch it if you don't want to see that.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-44932283
Thanks for the trigger warning.

I wasn't offered one by my wife, and proceeded to watch what I thought would be a benign altercation with shovels and words.

Old Feb 16th 2021, 3:40 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

In the US, violence and guns have become integrated. It isn't really an either/or situation any more, if it ever was. Rural areas have less violence because there are fewer people
Nope, there's less violence in rural areas when you normalize for this by looking at rates.
and because there are not, as a result, huge areas of poverty and all the ills that brings.
Totally untrue, lots of rural US is very poor and doesn't have these issues.
It's like saying that South East Portland is free from gun violence, despite the easy carry laws of Oregon - south east Portland is inhabited by well-off software engineers and young progressives, not noted as groups involved in violence much. So that doesn't in any way prove that "guns don't cause violence". It just means that other things do, and guns are just the means to execute it, no pun intended.
This I agree with. Ironically, you sound kind of like the NRA (a group I don't support,BTW) here, lol.
Here, at least, guns are a symptom of society that accepts violence.
I'm not sure what this means, but I definitely don't agree that the US "accepts violence". Unless you're talking gang violence which is bizarrely tolerated and barely mentioned in polite company.

I would also make the argument that our willingness to support a society where so many young people are used in the drug trade to make money for a few at the top, with their own lives so often ending in prison or death, is itself a symptom of our acceptance of violence as a way of life. We have consigned vast numbers of people to the trash, where gangs are the only route apparent to them for financial opportunity and belonging - or they are simply pressured into it seeing nothing else at all ahead of them. Malcom X wrote about that back in the 60s.
Totally agree with you here. Banning guns will be useless in addressing violence without addressing the true root causes of lack of prospects, lack of opportunity, ignorance and insularity.
The only way to stop the drugs business is to make them all legal, just as with alcohol. But we aren't willing to do that as a country yet, although some inroads have been made.
This warms the cockles of my libertarian heart to hear you say this.
We aren't willing to properly address the problem after all the school shootings - not the leaders in gun deaths in terms of numbers, but not related to drug gangs either.
Again, school shootings are awful and way too common, but are rounding error compared to the tsunami of daily, grinding, BAU violence in places like the west side of Chicago. They have very different root causes as well and require different solutions.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Drugs is also a complicated issue.

By default I tend to be against prohibition as it obviously doesn't work and usually what adults want to do to themselves, well their business.

But there are consequences, nobody seems to know, well perhaps unfair, wants to deal with the inevitable consequences.

When they legalised MJ here they taxed it heavily and logic should dictate the money go to treatment etc, but nope, went to very different projects.

I was given some pretty powerful painkillers after a Dentist trip, the prescription could not be phoned in had to show ID etc, took one and wow. Anyway Ibuprofen did the job, turns out they fetch $25 each on the street.

Old Feb 16th 2021, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I get chills just looking at how many people live in cities. Houses so close that you can barely walk between. A bad neighbor can become a lifetime pain in the ass. With our armed populace being a jerk can have deadly consequences. I saw a tv documentary once about a neighborhood where one person went out of his way to threaten and antagonize his neighbors. They took him to court for a restraining order and when that didn’t help one neighbor, a retired Navy Commander, emptied his 9mm in him.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Nope, there's less violence in rural areas when you normalize for this by looking at rates.
I don't disagree with that. But part of this is due to the nature of rural living, not the presence or absence of weapons per se.

https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/topi...onal%20average.

Totally untrue, lots of rural US is very poor and doesn't have these issues.
See above. What rural areas don't have is street crime (not many streets) and gang crime (not many gangs). Different environment.

This I agree with. Ironically, you sound kind of like the NRA (a group I don't support,BTW) here, lol. I'm not sure what this means, but I definitely don't agree that the US "accepts violence". Unless you're talking gang violence which is bizarrely tolerated and barely mentioned in polite company.
Sure. Because I'm look at the enthusiasm for weaponry as a symptom. Clearly the guns are a major cause of death and if we were able to disarm the civilian population there would be many, many fewer deaths, but their ubiquity and our willingness to tolerate the results is a symptom of something, and that's the something I'm trying to get at. So I don't put forward the argument that the NRA does. The NRA is itself part of the disease.

Totally agree with you here. Banning guns will be useless in addressing violence without addressing the true root causes of lack of prospects, lack of opportunity, ignorance and insularity. This warms the cockles of my libertarian heart to hear you say this. Again, school shootings are awful and way too common, but are rounding error compared to the tsunami of daily, grinding, BAU violence in places like the west side of Chicago. They have very different root causes as well and require different solutions.
We might disagree here on some of the details, but essentially we are in the same place. Removal of guns would make a huge difference to the death toll - but we can't remove them. Yet. Our society at large won't tolerate it and weapons have saturated the country to the point where rounding them all up will take decades. Even if we start now. Having said that, changing laws is a part of changing culture. For example, laws against racism and Jim Crow have not removed racism, for sure, but they have been a part of gradually changing culture so that racism is becoming less and less acceptable (over long periods of time) and at least many of its most overt manifestations have gone because they are now illegal.

Having said that, we are back to my original question. What have happened to the US that it is the way it is? Why is the violence - and the acceptance of violence - so prevalent?
Old Feb 17th 2021, 1:55 pm
Yo

I
We might disagree here on some of the details, but essentially we are in the same place. Removal of guns would make a huge difference to the death toll - but we can't remove them. Yet. Our society at large won't tolerate it and weapons have saturated the country to the point where rounding them all up will take decades. Even if we start now. Having said that, changing laws is a part of changing culture. For example, laws against racism and Jim Crow have not removed racism, for sure, but they have been a part of gradually changing culture so that racism is becoming less and less acceptable (over long periods of time) and at least many of its most overt manifestations have gone because they are now illegal.

Having said that, we are back to my original question. What have happened to the US that it is the way it is? Why is the violence - and the acceptance of violence - so prevalent?
Is that a rhertorical question? It's obvious: part of the orginal sin in founding, and the perpetuated through the centuries with second amendment bolstered by a popular mytholgy that guns/violence/retribution are American. Obsession with individuality, paranoia about the state, and a glorification of the military. It is literally in the DNA of America, and as you rightly point out, it will take decades to shift the culture even a little bit.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 2:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree that the way that the US was built is partly to blame. The mythos of 'the old west' like Shard says above.

Self reliance, there was no (or limited) law. If the Sheriff wanted to make an arrest, he had to round up an armed pose from the citizenry in order to do so. If you didn't have a way to defend yourself, you were a target and a victim.

Taking the UK as an example, the right to bear arms was never a part of our DNA. We didn't need it. The country was fully 'conquered' a long long time ago. Not so with the territories.

You're trying to scrape off hundreds of years of history. Not easy.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Shard
Is that a rhertorical question? It's obvious: part of the orginal sin in founding, and the perpetuated through the centuries with second amendment bolstered by a popular mytholgy that guns/violence/retribution are American. Obsession with individuality, paranoia about the state, and a glorification of the military. It is literally in the DNA of America, and as you rightly point out, it will take decades to shift the culture even a little bit.

No, not rhetorical at all. It's one I've been thinking about for years, looking for actual answers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.