Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Smartphone Camera or dedicated camera?

Wikiposts

Smartphone Camera or dedicated camera?

Old Sep 4th 2016, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

mproudfoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Smartphone Camera or dedicated camera?

I find that images from most current smartphones or small-sensor cameras are fine for just uploading to facebook or posting in articles online, but if you want to print, crop or publish images whilst retaining a decent level of quality, I'd say an RX100 (1" sensor) should be the smallest to aim for. My RX100 (II) is looking a bit beaten and battered after 2.5 years - but in that time, it's been to the summit of Kilimanjaro, Mt Agung in Indonesia, Mt Toubkal in Morocco, over 100 of Scotland's munros (mountains over 3000ft) and just back from two weeks mountaineering in the French and Swiss alps, and it's still working as well as the day I got it. I have two DSLRs and load of lenses but I've lost all interest in carrying such things around, and if I think I might want a bit more detail than the 1" sensor can manage, I use my mirrorless Sony A6000 instead.

In short (too late!) - it depends on your requirements.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I took some pictures of a commercial printer with my b-in-law's Nikon D5200 DSLR and sister's new Iphone 6s, for comparison. The Nikon definitely took better pics, especially with lighting and texture detail. Used auto setting for the Nikon .
Old Sep 5th 2016, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mproudfoot
I find that images from most current smartphones or small-sensor cameras are fine for just uploading to facebook or posting in articles online, but if you want to print, crop or publish images whilst retaining a decent level of quality, I'd say an RX100 (1" sensor) should be the smallest to aim for. My RX100 (II) is looking a bit beaten and battered after 2.5 years - but in that time, it's been to the summit of Kilimanjaro, Mt Agung in Indonesia, Mt Toubkal in Morocco, over 100 of Scotland's munros (mountains over 3000ft) and just back from two weeks mountaineering in the French and Swiss alps, and it's still working as well as the day I got it. I have two DSLRs and load of lenses but I've lost all interest in carrying such things around, and if I think I might want a bit more detail than the 1" sensor can manage, I use my mirrorless Sony A6000 instead.

In short (too late!) - it depends on your requirements.
Bought my RX100 new in Dec 2012 and it stopped working a few months back. Sony wants $335 to repair it . For a little more I can buy a brand new RX100. So I am just going to wait a bit and buy a used RX1 ; which has a full-frame sensor but is still compact.

Did love the RX100 ; took great pics , easy to use and compact.