Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Six (count em...6!) Month update

Six (count em...6!) Month update

Old May 9th 2007, 10:57 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six (count em...6!) Month update

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
We can both join the 'Green Card soon to expire' club

Nice to see you again.
Ah yes mine is safely filed along with my SS card and my US bank cards. I cant imagine I'll be needing them anytime soon.

Hows you doing matey?
Old May 9th 2007, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
Ah yes mine is safely filed along with my SS card and my US bank cards. I cant imagine I'll be needing them anytime soon.

Hows you doing matey?
Gruffy let some of us know he was going to be off line for a bit because he is moving into his new Flat
Old May 10th 2007, 1:38 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you found the enthusiasm to post lol

Good to hear from you again
Old May 11th 2007, 12:40 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered how you were doing. Glad to hear all is going really well.
Old May 11th 2007, 12:44 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Great to hear from you again AWP...sounds like you've all got a fab life back home. Well who wouldn't be happy to be back in Yorkshire eh?

We miss you...so the sooner you get your ass back on here posting the better. All the best.
I thought it was AWP, but didn't want to say just incase i was wrong.

So to Old William, fantastic news on the home front, i just know this is how i will feel when i get back....just got to finish my sentence first
Old May 11th 2007, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Well for those that knew me in my various guises during my time in the USA I thought I'd post a wee update.

We have been back 6 months now - thats a whole Winter and Spring! And ya know what? It's great still.

On the weather front we havent missed the crappy intense humidity one jot and infact apart from maybe 2 weeks here the weather has beentruly sublime...most of April wall to wall sunshine and temps around the high 60's...blossoms out on the trees gorgeous. The forecast (for those that follow such things) is for another exceptionally warm and balmy summer here too.

Work has been great...very much enjoying being back in the thick of it.

My wife got a job as a recovery nurse with no problems (even with all the doom sayers bleating on about how awful the nursing job situation is here....hmmm attitude plays a part maybe?) and is enjoying it immensly. She tells me it's MUCH better than working as a nurse in the USofA.

Daughter is loving it being back in high school with all her old mates...she's on the girls footy team, does gymnastics, swimming and god knows what else and is out every evening with her mates playing on bikes and generally having a ball...and now the nights are drawning out nicely it's even better for her!

Been to Spain over Easter to see my folks which was lovely and we are going back in summer...daughter is spending 5 weeks there over the summer hols helping my father farm his fruit fields and learn some more Spanish which she cant wait for.

The two dogs who we thought would reallly miss the Florida weather (they are sunworshippers) have settled fantastically and enjoy walks up in the dales and all over the moors.

On the downside....sure England is crazy crowded - I dont think anyone could deny that. But ya know what? Not much more crowded than the roads of south florida....and at least the drivers in general arn't all total loonies....although I do have one confession to make: We have ended up with 2 American cars. Yup that's right. My wife has a Chevy and I Have a Grand Voyager as it's ideal for driving to and from Spain. But now get this...my Voyager (3.3 litre Auto) does 40 MPG extra urban and around 32MPG urban so how the hell do the US ones get so crappy mileage??

Anyways enough waffle...so to summarise... We have talked about it several times over the last few months an we all have come to one conclusion: Coming back home was the best decision without doubt.
That's just great news my friend...Hopefully the great times will continue for years to come...wub...
Old May 12th 2007, 1:10 am
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Well for those that knew me in my various guises during my time in the USA I thought I'd post a wee update.

We have been back 6 months now - thats a whole Winter and Spring! And ya know what? It's great still.

On the weather front we havent missed the crappy intense humidity one jot and infact apart from maybe 2 weeks here the weather has beentruly sublime...most of April wall to wall sunshine and temps around the high 60's...blossoms out on the trees gorgeous. The forecast (for those that follow such things) is for another exceptionally warm and balmy summer here too.

My wife got a job as a recovery nurse with no problems (even with all the doom sayers bleating on about how awful the nursing job situation is here....hmmm attitude plays a part maybe?) and is enjoying it immensly. She tells me it's MUCH better than working as a nurse in the USofA.

Daughter is loving it being back in high school with all her old mates...she's on the girls footy team, does gymnastics, swimming and god knows what else and is out every evening with her mates playing on bikes and generally having a ball...and now the nights are drawning out nicely it's even better for her!

Been to Spain over Easter to see my folks which was lovely and we are going back in summer...daughter is spending 5 weeks there over the summer hols helping my father farm his fruit fields and learn some more Spanish which she cant wait for.

The two dogs who we thought would reallly miss the Florida weather (they are sunworshippers) have settled fantastically and enjoy walks up in the dales and all over the moors.

On the downside....sure England is crazy crowded - I dont think anyone could deny that. But ya know what? Not much more crowded than the roads of south florida....and at least the drivers in general arn't all total loonies....although I do have one confession to make: We have ended up with 2 American cars. Yup that's right. My wife has a Chevy and I Have a Grand Voyager as it's ideal for driving to and from Spain. But now get this...my Voyager (3.3 litre Auto) does 40 MPG extra urban and around 32MPG urban so how the hell do the US ones get so crappy mileage??

Anyways enough waffle...so to summarise... We have talked about it several times over the last few months an we all have come to one conclusion: Coming back home was the best decision without doubt.
So glad you haven't decided to turn tail to the land of the free and home of the brave!!??!!

I am still here in limbo- getting rounder by the day with only 3 months left on my pregnancy. Does no-one want to buy a house?? Mind you it's in Spokane so I can't blame them. I am so pleased all is going well for you and the honeymoon hasn't ended yet.
I am busying myself with watching brit dramas as prep. work- am currently watching shameless- even the manchester housing estate looks great at this point :-)

Keep us updated as and when you can, cheers!
Old May 12th 2007, 10:58 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, here you are. You can ignore me karma message then. Unless there's something more personal you want to share.

Glad to hear things are doing well, P. Our plans are taking shape, too. We'll be seeing you back in God's Own in no time.
Old May 15th 2007, 5:37 am
bjw
Forum Regular

bjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hayley
So glad you haven't decided to turn tail to the land of the free and home of the brave!!??!!

I am still here in limbo- getting rounder by the day with only 3 months left on my pregnancy. Does no-one want to buy a house?? Mind you it's in Spokane so I can't blame them. I am so pleased all is going well for you and the honeymoon hasn't ended yet.
I am busying myself with watching brit dramas as prep. work- am currently watching shameless- even the manchester housing estate looks great at this point :-)

Hayley

I watched all of series 4 last weekend and ending up bawling desperate to go home. I too convinved myself that the chatworth estate looked like heaven compaired to perth! now that's saying somat!

Above all else the brits know how to have a parteeeeeeeee

8 months down 18 months of hell to go!!!
Bec
Old May 16th 2007, 2:01 am
Account Closed

sarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to allsarahjackson is a name known to all

You get great mileage out of your cars!! I'm in a Chevy Tahoe and it does about 12 mpg
Old May 16th 2007, 9:56 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahjackson
You get great mileage out of your cars!! I'm in a Chevy Tahoe and it does about 12 mpg
Thats because you have one in America. Where cars do shite milage. Dont know why but they do.
Old May 16th 2007, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hayley

haven't seen you around for a while, thought maybe you'd moved back already
Old May 18th 2007, 4:58 am
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bjw
Hayley

I watched all of series 4 last weekend and ending up bawling desperate to go home. I too convinved myself that the chatworth estate looked like heaven compaired to perth! now that's saying somat!

Above all else the brits know how to have a parteeeeeeeee

8 months down 18 months of hell to go!!!
Bec
Scatter!!!

unfortunately I can only get series one here but that will have to do.

True brit- no I'm still here in limbo- I promise I'll post a big smug update when I actually make it to blighty! :-)
Old May 18th 2007, 7:33 am
Just Joined

milkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nice

Thats because you have one in America. Where cars do shite milage. Dont know why but they do.
gotta remember, there are only 3.8 litres in an American gallon compared to our 4.4