Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Silly Sod, Checking In

Silly Sod, Checking In

Old May 30th 2011, 9:19 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Silly Sod, Checking In

Good morning to all my dear old friends across the old pond

I hope you will all forgive my only very occasional check ins here. Life has become very busy I'm afraid, or I am glad to say - or something like that. So, if it isn't too tedious, I shall give those of you who know me (and give a monkeys) an update.

We are still here in rainy old Lancashire. My lovely wife and the Step Sod, who is doing great at school and has taken to the damp like a true native, are happy and settled. We were worried - prior to and following our eventually sorting out all of the time wasting and problematic custody stuff with her biological father - that the kid wouldn't like the UK, would become homesick, would be problematic etc.

However, from the minute she stepped off the plane, she seemed to settle right in. She is doing better in school here than she ever did in the US. Her school reports tell us that not only is she in all of the top sets for her subjects, but that she is also a likeable kid and quite humble in her dealings with others. I had worried that the popularity an American accent might impart in sleepy Lancashire would go to her head - but it seems not.

As for Myself and Mrs Sod - I am working in IT sales (still, and still hate it - but grateful to be working at all) while studying for a degree in Software Engineering. Mrs Sod is due to resume her studies via distance learning from the Uni of Arizona. She works part time at a local primary school and hopes to move into teaching. Right now she volunteers as a classroom assistant in the mornings and works as a lunchtime assistant in the afternoon. My mum was a lunchtime assistant, but in those days it was called a dinner lady. A noble occupation IMO, even if it is only for now.

We have a nice little house with a nice little garden front and back. We have an nice little King Charles Spaniel , which I rescued when near death from starvation and abuse (and which Step Sod, after two weeks became bored of, as all kids do when the reality of their dream pet/companion kicks in ha ha). Nonetheless, she is a happy little thing. Everyday she wakes up and you'd think it was her first day on earth, as happy as she is to see us all again. Basically, daft as a brush

So. All is well here. As well as things can generally be. Our long term plans: We are thinking about returning to Michigan, when Step Sod has finished school, four years from now. Though it will be a slog for, as some of you know, last time I was there wasn't in the most official circumstances. Still, we have a lawyer friend (immigration) in Mi who is happy to help, so you never know. Nothing worth doing comes easy. But, if that doesn't happen, we are happy where we are.

Well folks. I hope this rather long update is not boorish. I had thought to fill in a lot of blanks for those who may wonder what has happened to us since I last wrote. Apolofies if I have sent anybody to sleep. It would be great to hear updates from all of my old friends here, if you have a mind to write.

Strangely enough, I do miss you guys. Especially my fellow Michigander expat - Mozoo

By for now

The Sod.
Old May 30th 2011, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silly Sod, Checking In

Let me be the first to say Hi again.
Great to see your over the worse of what life threw at you , and continuing to go from good to better. Keep safe and well and on here more now.
Old May 30th 2011, 12:46 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Good morning to all my dear old friends across the old pond

I hope you will all forgive my only very occasional check ins here. Life has become very busy I'm afraid, or I am glad to say - or something like that. So, if it isn't too tedious, I shall give those of you who know me (and give a monkeys) an update.

We are still here in rainy old Lancashire. My lovely wife and the Step Sod, who is doing great at school and has taken to the damp like a true native, are happy and settled. We were worried - prior to and following our eventually sorting out all of the time wasting and problematic custody stuff with her biological father - that the kid wouldn't like the UK, would become homesick, would be problematic etc.

However, from the minute she stepped off the plane, she seemed to settle right in. She is doing better in school here than she ever did in the US. Her school reports tell us that not only is she in all of the top sets for her subjects, but that she is also a likeable kid and quite humble in her dealings with others. I had worried that the popularity an American accent might impart in sleepy Lancashire would go to her head - but it seems not.

As for Myself and Mrs Sod - I am working in IT sales (still, and still hate it - but grateful to be working at all) while studying for a degree in Software Engineering. Mrs Sod is due to resume her studies via distance learning from the Uni of Arizona. She works part time at a local primary school and hopes to move into teaching. Right now she volunteers as a classroom assistant in the mornings and works as a lunchtime assistant in the afternoon. My mum was a lunchtime assistant, but in those days it was called a dinner lady. A noble occupation IMO, even if it is only for now.

We have a nice little house with a nice little garden front and back. We have an nice little King Charles Spaniel , which I rescued when near death from starvation and abuse (and which Step Sod, after two weeks became bored of, as all kids do when the reality of their dream pet/companion kicks in ha ha). Nonetheless, she is a happy little thing. Everyday she wakes up and you'd think it was her first day on earth, as happy as she is to see us all again. Basically, daft as a brush

So. All is well here. As well as things can generally be. Our long term plans: We are thinking about returning to Michigan, when Step Sod has finished school, four years from now. Though it will be a slog for, as some of you know, last time I was there wasn't in the most official circumstances. Still, we have a lawyer friend (immigration) in Mi who is happy to help, so you never know. Nothing worth doing comes easy. But, if that doesn't happen, we are happy where we are.

Well folks. I hope this rather long update is not boorish. I had thought to fill in a lot of blanks for those who may wonder what has happened to us since I last wrote. Apolofies if I have sent anybody to sleep. It would be great to hear updates from all of my old friends here, if you have a mind to write.

Strangely enough, I do miss you guys. Especially my fellow Michigander expat - Mozoo

By for now

The Sod.

Glad to see you!

Sounds like things are going very well, why on earth are you thinking of returning? This country is going to hell faster than you can blink. Republicans, illegal immigrants, the economy, the weather is killing people left and right, taxes are rising, the country's youth are on some kind of rampage, or would be if they weren't so apathetic. Did I mention the weather?
Old May 30th 2011, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear from you, and glad to see life seems to be treating you all well.
Old May 30th 2011, 1:59 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Glad to see you!

Sounds like things are going very well, why on earth are you thinking of returning? This country is going to hell faster than you can blink. Republicans, illegal immigrants, the economy, the weather is killing people left and right, taxes are rising, the country's youth are on some kind of rampage, or would be if they weren't so apathetic. Did I mention the weather?
Gone to the dogs.

*Waves at SS
Old May 30th 2011, 3:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You can't be too much of a Silly Sod if you've given a home to a Cavalier. I've had Cavs for decades...fabulous dogs...have a 13 yr old black and tan. Please post a pic and give my regards to MM.
Old May 30th 2011, 4:17 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Let me be the first to say Hi again.
Great to see your over the worse of what life threw at you , and continuing to go from good to better. Keep safe and well and on here more now.
Ah, my dear friend. So very nice to hear from you mate. And glad to hear you sounding happy

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Glad to see you!

Ha ha. Bloody Yanks!!! We are not making definite plans, but would be nice to have the option. It is more doubtful than anything that I would be allowed back, but it is something worth looking into in the long term. That said, it seems the only the the US has over the UK is the size of the house you can own. I do miss Michigan though. Especially the weather! ha ha. That said, has anybody heard from Mozoo? Calhoun County took a battering last night.

As for the rest of it - well, the UK is not far behind. Cameran and Clegg make Thatcher and Raygun look like a harmless comedy duo.

Originally Posted by nethead
Nice to hear from you, and glad to see life seems to be treating you all well.
Better than some and not as well as many -but we are happy enough and that is priceless

Originally Posted by Leslie
Gone to the dogs.

*Waves at SS
See reply to Another Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You can't be too much of a Silly Sod if you've given a home to a Cavalier. I've had Cavs for decades...fabulous dogs...have a 13 yr old black and tan. Please post a pic and give my regards to MM.
Aaw. She is a treasure Jersey. When I came across her she had been locked in a cupboard in a tower block flat for three weeks with two other dogs while the a-hole owner went on holiday or something. She weighed about as much as an apple, had scratched all of the fur from her hind quarters and was completely bald; hopping with fleas. I took a look at her and said to my friend (who had taken her out of the situation but couldn't keep her) "I don't think I can take her. I never had a dog. She looks like she needs professional care. I wouldn't know where to start". And I swear she looked at me like she was pleading. Imagine the size of her eyes, with no weight on her at all. I know you can imagine.

So. I took her and didn't think she's make it through the night. Nia and Aurora were in the US working on the visa's so it was just me and Coco. But we made out and, when the family arrived, she was in dog hog heaven ha ha. Suddenly there are two girls going nuts over here. Now she sleeps on our bed and has much less time for me than for Tenijha. It must be a female thing. When my wife moves, the dog is not far behind. I may ask you some CavAdvice at some point.
Old May 30th 2011, 4:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Aaw. She is a treasure Jersey. When I came across her she had been locked in a cupboard in a tower block flat for three weeks with two other dogs while the a-hole owner went on holiday or something. She weighed about as much as an apple, had scratched all of the fur from her hind quarters and was completely bald; hopping with fleas. I took a look at her and said to my friend (who had taken her out of the situation but couldn't keep her) "I don't think I can take her. I never had a dog. She looks like she needs professional care. I wouldn't know where to start". And I swear she looked at me like she was pleading. Imagine the size of her eyes, with no weight on her at all. I know you can imagine.

So. I took her and didn't think she's make it through the night. Nia and Aurora were in the US working on the visa's so it was just me and Coco. But we made out and, when the family arrived, she was in dog hog heaven ha ha. Suddenly there are two girls going nuts over here. Now she sleeps on our bed and has much less time for me than for Tenijha. It must be a female thing. When my wife moves, the dog is not far behind. I may ask you some CavAdvice at some point.
I'm glad she's found a good home with you. I've had 5 Cavs over the years. They are the most wonderful, devoted companions you could wish for. My husband calls my girl 'Miss 2 Yards'...because she's never more than 2 yards from my side. She's 13 years old but looks and acts like a pup. Yesterday my daughter took her on a sponsored dog walk to raise money for guide dogs...the vet in attendance couldn't believe she was 'a senior'.

What type is she...a Blenheim (white and tan)?

Edit: BTW do you know that King Charles made a law that Cavs should be allowed into all public buildings in England? That law still remains today.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 30th 2011 at 4:26 pm.
Old May 30th 2011, 4:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, up....good to hear the update
Old May 30th 2011, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you will all forgive my only very occasional check ins here.
No

Good to see you hear from you though, and glad it's going well, especially for Step Sod.

xx
Old May 30th 2011, 4:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful to hear from you SS. You've been missed around these hallowed rooms. Great thing you've done on the dog. You're be loved for life. So are you coming back to the states any time soon. Stay well and pop in more often.
Old May 30th 2011, 5:12 pm
Bugger Off!

Bob, Rete, Jersey and Sally - Thanks guys

My returning to the US would be nice, but hardly likely. If so it will be costly because I overstayed last time, and other complications which I wont bore you again with. All that said, we wouldn't consider upping sticks, as it were, until Step Sod has finished school, and maybe even college. We mentioned that one day we might go back the other week and she (Aurora) said: you can go back, i'm staying here!! lol. So she is rather settled, which is great. But one never knows what the future holds so best not to rule anything out I have found.

Jersey. Coco is a Blenhiem and everybody takes her for a pup, though she must be three years old now. I think her being straved the way she was means she will always be very small and runtish. She is TINY!!! Which we like because it is like always having a pup.

A couple of problems are 1) she scavenges all the time. She will eat rocks if you let her, and we are told this is often the case when dogs are starved early on. 2) She never barks, another outcome of abuse we are told. Now and again, very rarely, she will get so excited when we are taking her out - getting the leash and the poop bags etc, and a bark will escape and then she looks all around like she has no idea where it came from. It is funny to see.

At the moment we have her on some expensive food that is high in something and low in something else, because when she piddles it absolutely reeks!!! When she goes outside to pee, she comes in and I have to wipe her or the house smells like a fish mongers (sorry to be graphic). Vet said we need this special food which costs a bomb but it doesn't seem to help. have you come acroos this at all, in all your years with Cavs?
Old May 30th 2011, 5:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

My returning to the US would be nice, but hardly likely. If so it will be costly because I overstayed last time, and other complications which I wont bore you again with. All that said, we wouldn't consider upping sticks, as it were, until Step Sod has finished school, and maybe even college. We mentioned that one day we might go back the other week and she (Aurora) said: you can go back, i'm staying here!! lol. So she is rather settled, which is great. But one never knows what the future holds so best not to rule anything out I have found.

Jersey. Coco is a Blenhiem and everybody takes her for a pup, though she must be three years old now. I think her being straved the way she was means she will always be very small and runtish. She is TINY!!! Which we like because it is like always having a pup.

A couple of problems are 1) she scavenges all the time. She will eat rocks if you let her, and we are told this is often the case when dogs are starved early on. 2) She never barks, another outcome of abuse we are told. Now and again, very rarely, she will get so excited when we are taking her out - getting the leash and the poop bags etc, and a bark will escape and then she looks all around like she has no idea where it came from. It is funny to see.

At the moment we have her on some expensive food that is high in something and low in something else, because when she piddles it absolutely reeks!!! When she goes outside to pee, she comes in and I have to wipe her or the house smells like a fish mongers (sorry to be graphic). Vet said we need this special food which costs a bomb but it doesn't seem to help. have you come acroos this at all, in all your years with Cavs?
I had a Blenhiem...she was my first Cav...her name was Cromwell. My Cav had similar problems a few months ago...the vet gave her antibiotics and the fishy smell everytime she urintated cleared up. She is also quite small around 11/13 lbs. For the first few years of her life we thought she maybe mute because she didn't make a sound...then I started to look after another Cav when his owners were away. He barked when he saw the wildlife outside...all of a sudden Charlie found her voice. Saying that she's not a yapper...only barks when someone rings a door bell on TV.
Old May 30th 2011, 5:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

My returning to the US would be nice, but hardly likely. If so it will be costly because I overstayed last time, and other complications which I wont bore you again with.
why not you bored us the first time round..............

alright mate.
Old May 30th 2011, 9:37 pm
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by Manc
why not you bored us the first time round..............

alright mate.
Ha ha. Manc, me old china. Great to hear ya bud. That put a smile on me fizzog before bed. Hope u are well bud. (Ggggrrr - wish there was a android app for be lol). We'll catch up soon mate.

JG - thanks for that. I thought anti-bi's would be the thing. Instead sent us to this specialist food place. Prolly getting a pay off lol.

Well. Good nite gang. Ive missed the banter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.