British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Short notice trip home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/short-notice-trip-home-377423/)

blaze Jun 4th 2006 12:24 am

Short notice trip home

Well, my lovely dad called me 2 days ago to say that he wants to help out with plane tickets (by buying one of the tickets) and a car so that my son and I can go to Britain for a visit. Oh how lovely I thought and started getting all excited until I realised that the only time I can get off work that everyone will be in Britain as opposed to holidaying (is that a word? :p ) is in 2 1/2 weeks! :eek: . Now, I am a very organized person but that has freaked me out somewhat and now I feel rushed and panicked. My dad never meant for that, he didn't know when I would be able to come he just knew that he wanted us home for a bit (it will only be for 10 days unfortunately, bloody US job! :( ) .
Other than the fact the plane tickets appear to have gone up $200 since I last checked, I have to check on whether I can use my sons car seat (something I would never have even thought would be a problem until I read it on BE!), finding an overnight flight that doesn't require hours of layover and that still has seats left on it. I know, I'm just having a small panic moment but you have to understand that I usually book and start planning my trips to Britain at least 3 months in advance.
So, there we go then, I just wanted to share my little panic session with you all. Anyone else ever have to plan a trip this quickly with a small child by themselves?
Just as a side note, I could let my dad down gently and not go but I really would love (love, LOVE!) to go home so I guess I shall just have to buckle down and plan (plan, PLAN!) :D

TruBrit Jun 4th 2006 12:33 am

Re: Short notice trip home

Originally Posted by blaze
Well, my lovely dad called me 2 days ago to say that he wants to help out with plane :D

oh great news...good old dad, why let him down...go for it..lol luckily with not working right now i rarely plan trips until the last min...if you have your leave from work sorted then get booking those tickets...i'm really chuffed for you :)

Rushman Jun 4th 2006 12:57 am

I'm back in England right now, hows that for short notice?

TouristTrap Jun 4th 2006 1:26 am

Originally Posted by rushman
I'm back in England right now, hows that for short notice?

The place is a dump right? We've missed your sorry heinie on here lately.

Jerseygirl Jun 4th 2006 1:33 am

Well, my lovely dad called me 2 days ago to say that he wants to help out with plane tickets (by buying one of the tickets) and a car so that my son and I can go to Britain for a visit. Oh how lovely I thought and started getting all excited until I realised that the only time I can get off work that everyone will be in Britain as opposed to holidaying (is that a word? :p ) is in 2 1/2 weeks! :eek: . Now, I am a very organized person but that has freaked me out somewhat and now I feel rushed and panicked. My dad never meant for that, he didn't know when I would be able to come he just knew that he wanted us home for a bit (it will only be for 10 days unfortunately, bloody US job! :( ) .
Other than the fact the plane tickets appear to have gone up $200 since I last checked, I have to check on whether I can use my sons car seat (something I would never have even thought would be a problem until I read it on BE!), finding an overnight flight that doesn't require hours of layover and that still has seats left on it. I know, I'm just having a small panic moment but you have to understand that I usually book and start planning my trips to Britain at least 3 months in advance.
So, there we go then, I just wanted to share my little panic session with you all. Anyone else ever have to plan a trip this quickly with a small child by themselves?
Just as a side note, I could let my dad down gently and not go but I really would love (love, LOVE!) to go home so I guess I shall just have to buckle down and plan (plan, PLAN!) :D

Great news Blaze. June, July and August are the most expensive times to fly to the UK. Hope you can find a cheap flight to go and see your dad. Don't stay away too long though. Good Luck. :)

Elvira Jun 4th 2006 2:00 am

If you have air miles, that can be an easy eay of getting a last minute ticket (I did that the other week - though you likely would have to do it over the phone rather than online).

Not sure what you mean about the car seat. If you request one, the hire company will provide it for a small charge. Beats dragging the thing all the way with you.

Enjoy your trip! :)

Partystar Jun 4th 2006 2:56 am

I hope all goes well for you, I fully intend to take my son's car seat on the plane with us. I've already bought one of those car seat bags/trolleys from Babies R Us, so that should help. Let us know how the search goes.

Patrick Hasler Jun 4th 2006 3:23 am

Just keep trying BA and Virgin and play them against each other. I once phoned BA and told them that Virgin had pushed up the ticket price when I went back to them by $200 ! .... BA gave me tickets at $199 + tax just to stop me using Virgin..... I then emailed Virgin and told them what BA had done and got an appology and 5,000 airmiles :)

Rushman Jun 4th 2006 5:54 am

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
The place is a dump right? We've missed your sorry heinie on here lately.

It might be a dump....but it's MY dump!!!!

TruBrit Jun 4th 2006 5:57 am

and my dump..lol beats this dump anyday :p enjoy your trip rushy.. :)

Rushman Jun 4th 2006 6:00 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit
and my dump..lol beats this dump anyday :p enjoy your trip rushy.. :)

Not likely but thanks.

TruBrit Jun 4th 2006 6:01 am

Not likely but thanks.

aww shame

Jerseygirl Jun 4th 2006 8:37 am

Not likely but thanks.

Come on.....tell us more.....you can't just leave it like that.

britvic Jun 4th 2006 10:34 pm

Good Man :) I'm in a place called Milnrow, just outside of Rochdale, we've had lovely weather, so been doing lots of walking, the area is only 10 mins drive from Yorkshire boarder, lovely picture post card stuff.

TruBrit Jun 5th 2006 12:13 am

Originally Posted by britvic
Good Man :) I'm in a place called Milnrow, just outside of Rochdale, we've had lovely weather, so been doing lots of walking, the area is only 10 mins drive from Yorkshire boarder, lovely picture post card stuff.

good to hear from you vic...enjoy your trip :)