Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

SHOCK! general election June 8th

SHOCK! general election June 8th

Old Apr 21st 2017, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SHOCK! general election June 8th

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yes, this seems accurate, I'd more or less agree with what you say. (Apart from the relentless trash-talk style that you favour.)

But the point is, how will these honest labour supporters react? Stay home because they are resigned to a bad result? Redouble their canvassing efforts etc. because they know it's an uphill struggle? Vote tactically, depending on the situation in their particular constituency?

I personally don't see why a labour voter wouldn't work hard for a labour victory, just because they don't like the current parliamentary leader. Their motivation should depend more on their own MP or labour candidate.
Yes absolutely - but as you are probably aware, elections aren't generally won by just getting the votes of people who already agree with you - they're won by getting people to come over to your side. It's one of the (theoretical ) beauties of the democratic system, in that it moderates the tendency towards extremism by requiring successful parties to capture the center ground (as the tories have done for decades & as labour did under Blair).
What the hard line corbynites in their little bubble refuse to accept is that they only represent approximately 300,000 labour party members - out of an electorate of 10s of millions.
It seems the labour party membership (& the greens, lib dems, plaid cymru etc) are going to come together to try & defeat May, largely in an attempt to prevent Brexit. But I think that will backfire. A) theyre going to all gang up on the tories in order to block the democratically expressed will of the people ? Good luck with that one.
And B) the tories enjoy boundary & demographic benefits giving them a big advantage - without winning scotland labour don't have much chance - apparently. But then again, that's kind of what they said about clinton last year - & look what happened there.
Sorry about the relentless trash talk, but most of my active friends on other social media are die hard lefty posers & so I have had to endure years of sanctimonious lectures in quietly seething silence. I'll lay off Corbyn now. It's too easy.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Well I see the majority of Labour MPs voted for the election on June 8th. Now that really is turkeys voting for Christmas.
The last government changed the rules so that a government can't call an election just because the polls are in their favor, without the approval of 2/3rds of Parliament, so I completely agree with you.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 1:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Corbyn has said he will be staying on no matter how bad the result.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Corbyn has said he will be staying on no matter how bad the result.
Can't see that standing up much longer after the results. David Cameron said the same about brexit.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

The thinking over here is that the SNP are going to lose some seats in Scotland, apparently only about 30% are currently in favour of a referendum. Worse still, they're saying they're going to lose them to the Conservatives

Anything that quietens that godawful woman suits me!
Old Apr 25th 2017, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopSec
The thinking over here is that the SNP are going to lose some seats in Scotland, apparently only about 30% are currently in favour of a referendum. Worse still, they're saying they're going to lose them to the Conservatives
Given how many seats the SNP holds, there is only one way for their number of seats to go, I think everyone accepts that.

Anything that quietens that godawful woman suits me!
What's wrong with her? That she's a nationalist, Scottish or a woman? I'm not Scottish, but I admire the way she sticks up for the people she represents, and if the SNP extended it's range I'd happily vote for her if she'd take the north of england with scotland when it parts with the rUK.

I don't know what it is about Scottish politics that has produced such strong women leaders - I even like Ruth Davidson, who appears to be from the saner end of the Tory party. It's obvious that she will be emphasising the full name of the Conservative and Unionist party in upcoming debates.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 5:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Given how many seats the SNP holds, there is only one way for their number of seats to go, I think everyone accepts that.

What's wrong with her? That she's a nationalist, Scottish or a woman? I'm not Scottish, but I admire the way she sticks up for the people she represents, and if the SNP extended it's range I'd happily vote for her if she'd take the north of england with scotland when it parts with the rUK.

I don't know what it is about Scottish politics that has produced such strong women leaders - I even like Ruth Davidson, who appears to be from the saner end of the Tory party. It's obvious that she will be emphasising the full name of the Conservative and Unionist party in upcoming debates.
I agree, she's a good first minister and politician .... I'd vote for her if I lived in her constituency, and I'm a unionist. (It seems fairly clear to me that now the world has discovered the concept of women leaders, we are on to a winner. Women project work ethic - competence - honesty - empathy etc., far better than men.)

Makes me wonder if the SNP power would fade if Sturgeon wasn't the party leader.

In this election, it's certainly possible that labour and tories will pick up a handful of seats in Scotland, simply because last election was a high water mark for the SNP.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Because to me she appears to be obsessed about Scottish Independence above anything else, it appears to be shit or bust with her.

Why on earth would you want the North of England to go with Scotland??
Old Apr 25th 2017, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopSec
Because to me she appears to be obsessed about Scottish Independence above anything else, it appears to be shit or bust with her.
i suspect if you lived in Scotland, you know, where she actually governs, you would see that Indyref2 isn't as important as the day to day running of the country that she leads. The rest of us only see the referendum stuff because that's the only thing she does that impacts rUK.

Why on earth would you want the North of England to go with Scotland??
because we have more in common with the Scots in terms of infrastructure and investment issue, and they appear to give a stuff about the people they represent. Westminster doesn't give a shiny shit about northern England or Scotland.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

i suspect if you lived in Scotland, you know, where she actually governs, you would see that Indyref2 isn't as important as the day to day running of the country that she leads. The rest of us only see the referendum stuff because that's the only thing she does that impacts rUK.

because we have more in common with the Scots in terms of infrastructure and investment issue, and they appear to give a stuff about the people they represent. Westminster doesn't give a shiny shit about northern England or Scotland.
We must read different news then as I hear that some are fed up with her obsession with independence and would rather she concentrated on health care, schooling etc.

I can agree somewhat about the Westminster not caring about the North but I, too am from Yorkshire and the last thing I would want is to be lumped in with Scotland