Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Sex education in the US

Sex education in the US

Old May 6th 2016, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sex education in the US

Are condoms still a big theft issue? When I worked at Target in 2003/2004 in California, my store had to keep them locked up in a glass case because they were one of the highest theft items in the store, along with pregnancy tests.

Haven't bought any in eons.
Old May 6th 2016, 7:34 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ChocolateBabz;11941487]He didn't have any expectations, I knew that he was 17, was driving and 'out of my sight' and dating. I told him I was giving him condoms, not because I thought he was having sex, not because I wanted him to have sex but because I'd much rather he had them and not need them than need them and not have them. If I had a teenage girl the same age I would be doing the same as well as getting her on birth control. Any parent who doesn't do this and thinks 'school' or 'the Internet' will do it for them is ignoring the reality of the number of pregnancies and std's among teenagers these days. As for boys being predators and only after one thing, I think you do a lot of young men a disservice.[/QUOTE]

I can only judge by what I was like at 17. However during the time when I was that age it wasn't that easy to find a willing girl. Most girls wanted an engagement ring and a firm commitment and I wasn't ready for that.

For me and most young guys that age (despite the false bragging of some) we didn't get any. A furtive grope in the back seats of the movie theatre stalls was the best we could hope for.
Old May 6th 2016, 7:38 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Are condoms still a big theft issue? When I worked at Target in 2003/2004 in California, my store had to keep them locked up in a glass case because they were one of the highest theft items in the store, along with pregnancy tests.

It mustn't be because round our way they have them sitting out, usually in the same aisle as fanny pads and tampons. That way you can grab your box and proudly walk up to the checkout, hold your head high and bask in everyone's knowledge that you might get some in the next few months
Old May 6th 2016, 7:39 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

They should be issued free, no charge. They used to be available free at a dispensing machine outside the base guardhouse when I was in the army. The army had a very sensible, ahead of time approach to the health and welfare of it's members.
Old May 6th 2016, 7:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Yes, she is, and kudos to her. The education that your granddaughter is receiving is undoubtedly more in-depth and superior to anything she will receive at school.

But there aren't too many parents like your daughter, sad to say.
Maybe she being a Physician's Assistant has something to do with it. The eldest girl although I say it myself is going to be a real looker, genuine prey when she gets to high school no doubt. Even now in sixth grade there are a few boys showing interest and she's confused. She needs someone close to her to ask questions of and explain things and her mom is the best person to do that. Far better then a classroom teacher I think. Fortunately the kid has already shown definite signs of common sense and responsibility
Old May 6th 2016, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
They should be issued free, no charge. They used to be available free at a dispensing machine outside the base guardhouse when I was in the army. The army had a very sensible, ahead of time approach to the health and welfare of it's members.
Planned Parenthood gives them out for free. Of course with their funding being cut and all that, they probably will have to cut back on that. Of course the politicians can't see the irony of cutting PP funding that gives out free contraceptives which could possibly lead to the need for more abortions which are not funded by tax payers.
Old May 6th 2016, 8:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Planned Parenthood gives them out for free. Of course with their funding being cut and all that, they probably will have to cut back on that. Of course the politicians can't see the irony of cutting PP funding that gives out free contraceptives which could possibly lead to the need for more abortions which are not funded by tax payers.
Common sense is that they should be given out free at any surgical clinic or hospital. The trouble of course in this country is that the religious right would create absolute mayhem if that were to happen
Old May 6th 2016, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Common sense is that they should be given out free at any surgical clinic or hospital. The trouble of course in this country is that the religious right would create absolute mayhem if that were to happen
Right. Their reasoning is that if you teach them about sex and hand out free condoms they are going to have sex. News flash, they will likely have sex if you don't teach them or hand out free condoms.
Old May 6th 2016, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

The eldest girl although I say it myself is going to be a real looker, genuine prey when she gets to high school no doubt. Even now in sixth grade there are a few boys showing interest and she's confused.
Based on this, and other things you've mentioned in this thread, can I please implore you not to give your granddaughter any hint that you think she is prey, the passive target of boys' urges, or generally an object to whom things simply happen? She will find it DEEPLY insulting that you think she has no agency in these matters; you seem a caring grandfather and it would be a shame for her to lose respect for you and dismiss you as so shockingly out of touch.

For the record, most teen girls get rampantly, desperately horny too. If she's confused, it's because the adults in her life are giving her messages about boys being absolute beasts and girls being innocent victims when that doesn't tally AT ALL with what she may be feeling.
Old May 6th 2016, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Defunding Planned Parenthood in one state caused a rise in people giving birth, a large number of whom had to have those births covered by state funds. It cost the state a significant amount more than they saved from defunding.
Old May 6th 2016, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Based on this, and other things you've mentioned in this thread, can I please implore you not to give your granddaughter any hint that you think she is prey, the passive target of boys' urges, or generally an object to whom things simply happen? She will find it DEEPLY insulting that you think she has no agency in these matters; you seem a caring grandfather and it would be a shame for her to lose respect for you and dismiss you as so shockingly out of touch.

For the record, most teen girls get rampantly, desperately horny too. If she's confused, it's because the adults in her life are giving her messages about boys being absolute beasts and girls being innocent victims when that doesn't tally AT ALL with what she may be feeling.
Old May 6th 2016, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

In much of Canada they are pretty easy to obtain for free, mental health units usually have a basket of them sitting out, various sex type support places have them, I saw some in an ER once.

If one wants them free up here anyhow its doable.

Even dollar stores sell them, and before the jokes our dollar stores are not really dollar stores anymore, they are more like a Woolworths of the olden days. More of a variety store with various prices points up to $3 or $4 dollars.

Trojan 2 packs, life style 2 or 3 packs are often in stock.

They also sell pregnancy tests, at first I was skeptical about those, but turns out they are the same types doctors offices use.

You can go to your doctor and get a pregnancy test free if you don't or can't pay for one in a store.
Old May 6th 2016, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Dollar Tree has pregnancy kits for $1. I wonder if goodwill has any condoms.
Old May 7th 2016, 1:13 am
Banned

In much of Canada they are pretty easy to obtain for free, mental health units usually have a basket of them sitting out, various sex type support places have them, I saw some in an ER once.

If one wants them free up here anyhow its doable.

Even dollar stores sell them, and before the jokes our dollar stores are not really dollar stores anymore, they are more like a Woolworths of the olden days. More of a variety store with various prices points up to $3 or $4 dollars.

Trojan 2 packs, life style 2 or 3 packs are often in stock.

They also sell pregnancy tests, at first I was skeptical about those, but turns out they are the same types doctors offices use.

You can go to your doctor and get a pregnancy test free if you don't or can't pay for one in a store.
Canada is pretty clued up. In Vancouver I heard they have needle clinics where addicts can shoot up using new needles issued at the clinics. Definitely a good idea in helping stop the spread of HIV
Old May 7th 2016, 1:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kodokan

Obviously I wouldn't say anything to her what I've mentioned on here.
As her grandfather such matters are nothing to do with me whatsoever. This is the job of her parents. At this stage she's very involved with her girl friends, music and volleyball. I know from what her mother told me that she's finding it a bit (for want of a better word) "strange" that some boys want to pal up with her. Her mom is in the process of explaining why this is happening.

My wife handled this subject as my daughter was growing up. My contribution was to tactfully as possible advise any boy friend who gave me bad vibes that if he had any ideas about monkey business that he might get his brains beaten out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.