Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Sensible Gun Laws Work

Sensible Gun Laws Work

Old Dec 8th 2015, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

MikeZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sensible Gun Laws Work

Less than one third of the population actually owns guns. Guns have always been part of the "culture" but but high homicide rate was not until the 1980's. What changed from 80's. the drug war... What are you going to do about Eric Holder giving Mexican cartels guns and those finding their way on the streets??
Old Dec 8th 2015, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Chicago is a city. I was talking about state level.

Top 10 worst states for gun violence are the most lax on gun laws.

California ranks #1 on gun laws and 42 on gun violence. The states in the top 10 least amount of gun violence are all strict gun control states.

Originally Posted by MikeZ
actually Chicago has the worst homicide rates(drug related gang turf wars mostly in minority communities) and they have strict gun laws. Against read my first post on this thread.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

"MikeZ" has a posting history of under three hours and has already compiled an "interesting" selection of posts... somebody's sock?
Old Dec 8th 2015, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
"MikeZ" has a posting history of under three hours and has already compiled an "interesting" selection of posts... somebody's sock?
it's a conspiracy, it's a conspiracy!
Old Dec 8th 2015, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

California ranks #1 on gun laws and 42 on gun violence. The states in the top 10 least amount of gun violence are all strict gun control states.
Show me the study on that. Downtown LA alone has pretty serious gang killings.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeZ
Show me the study on that. Downtown LA alone has pretty serious gang killings.
gunlawscorecard.org

Top 10 states with toughest laws, are in the bottom 20 for gun deaths.

Then you have Louisiana who ranks 50th in gun laws, and 2nd for gun deaths.

IL ranks 8th for gun laws and 38th for gun deaths.

California ranks 1 in gun laws and 42nd in gun deaths.

http://politicsthatwork.com/graphs/gun-deaths-by-state
Attached Thumbnails Sensible Gun Laws Work-top-10.png  

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 8th 2015 at 10:45 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 12:04 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Gun shows are where firearms are bought and sold without the required registration and back ground checks being done.

Last edited by dc koop; Dec 10th 2015 at 12:25 am.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 12:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dc koop
Gun shows are where firearms are bought and sold without the required registration and back ground checks being done.
Nope

Next
Old Dec 10th 2015, 5:14 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Nope

Next

I used to attend the annual gun show at the Fairplex in Pomona. Never missed one in several years. Never bought a firearm there though.

Several years ago the Los Angeles Board of County Supervisors banned it after the Sherriff's department found guns being sold under the table.

That's all I know and that's all I'm saying
Old Dec 10th 2015, 5:20 am
Banned

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
A question from an outsider whose mind is boggled continually by America and guns... Given the ludicrous amount of guns already owned in the US, is there a solution that would work? I mean even if you amend the amendment as to who can own, what they can own etc, how do you 'control' the millions of current owners? (Ignoring for a moment the vast majority who are 'sensible', 'reasonable' owners)?

I don't see how you can change what appears to be a national mindset regardless of whether it's an intelligent change or not.
It's too late by far. Part of the culture and here to stay
Old Dec 10th 2015, 6:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dc koop
I used to attend the annual gun show at the Fairplex in Pomona. Never missed one in several years. Never bought a firearm there though.

Several years ago the Los Angeles Board of County Supervisors banned it after the Sheriff's department found guns being sold under the table.

That's all I know and that's all I'm saying
Not what you originally said, perhap a mod will edit it.
Old Dec 12th 2015, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

AhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond repute

Sensible gun laws do work, but they cant prevent everything and just because some slip through does not mean we should scrap the laws.
True but then again just because it would work doesn't mean you are obligated to pass it or make it law. For example if the UK was to raise the minimum drinking age to 21 it would work to reduce alcohol related violence and deaths but that doesn't mean it should be law.

Also how are we defining sensible?

The top 10 states with most gun violence are also some the weakest on gun control. Funny how the states with the strictest gun control have the least amount of gun violence.
The difference between the gun violence rates between the states is almost entirely due to suicide rates. Wyoming and Alaska have lower homicide rates, which are around 2 per 100k, than California, which are around 4-4.5 per 100k, but their suicide rates are between 15-20 per 100k. Texas, if I'm not mistaken, actually has a lower overall homicide rate than California but again their suicide rate is higher than California.

Laws like magazine capacity limits or assault weapon bans are not going to make much of a difference on suicide rates and the truth of the matter is they probably wouldn't make much of a difference in the overall gun homicide rate either.

And people in Calif really have no issues with the laws, only the fringe loons seem to.
Ah so any one who has an issue with the laws in California is a fringe loon.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 3:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AhCrap
True but then again just because it would work doesn't mean you are obligated to pass it or make it law. For example if the UK was to raise the minimum drinking age to 21 it would work to reduce alcohol related violence and deaths but that doesn't mean it should be law.

Also how are we defining sensible?

The difference between the gun violence rates between the states is almost entirely due to suicide rates. Wyoming and Alaska have lower homicide rates, which are around 2 per 100k, than California, which are around 4-4.5 per 100k, but their suicide rates are between 15-20 per 100k. Texas, if I'm not mistaken, actually has a lower overall homicide rate than California but again their suicide rate is higher than California.

Laws like magazine capacity limits or assault weapon bans are not going to make much of a difference on suicide rates and the truth of the matter is they probably wouldn't make much of a difference in the overall gun homicide rate either.

Ah so any one who has an issue with the laws in California is a fringe loon.
I was not talking specifically homicide, but gun violence. If a gun was not accessible good chance many of those suicides would not happen. Suicides tend to be impulsive for most, remove the gun, and it takes more planning and more effort and more time which gives the person time to come back down to a more rational mindset.

I didn't say everyone with an issue with the laws in California were fringe loons, I said most who have an issue with them tend to be, difference between the 2.

California's laws are perfectly acceptable in my view, those who wan't a gun and have no questionable stuff in their background can still obtain one, just takes more time and effort.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 3:41 am
Account Closed

So why has say France have a higher rate than the US?
Old Dec 15th 2015, 9:28 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

What makes me laugh about this whole issue is when they compare with other countries, like Australia and the UK.

I mean, when handguns were banned in GB, there were 200,490 owned by roughly 57,000 people.

I saw on the news that FBI NICS ran 185,000 background checks on Black Friday. And bear in mind not all States use NICs, some have their own systems and moreover, one background check can cover the purchase of multiple guns.

So most likely on ONE DAY, more firearms were sold in the US than were prohibited in the UK in 1997. There's something like 80 million people who own guns in the US, so if you wanted to licence them all that would be like licensing the entire population of Germany.

I remember years ago I think it was some silly thing in the Daily Telegraph where he'd done a back-of-the-fag-packet calculation that there are probably more guns in circulation in the US than umbrellas.

This idea you could take the gun laws from Australia or the UK and apply them in the US is completely laughable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.