Selling car in FL

Old Jun 30th 2018, 2:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling car in FL

Originally Posted by civilservant
Did you take a copy of the signed title or bill of sale?
And did the OP return his plates to the DMV?
Old Jun 30th 2018, 3:33 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
And did the OP return his plates to the DMV?
Nope & Nope. Apparently he's still driving around on my old plate. I did cancel the insurance, so that makes it worse!
Old Jun 30th 2018, 3:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

W/o going back to read the rest of the thread, he paid you for the car? If so, and you signed over the title to him, then he owns it. Go to where the car was reported to be parked with a screwdriver and remove the plates immediately. Take them to the DMV yourself at your earliest convenience. I would also notify the police that I was doing this so that you are not arrested for theft. As it stands you are still listed as the legal owner of the car even though you are not because you accepted money in exchange for it. Safeguard yourself, call the police, advise them of what you are going to do, and then do it.
Old Jun 30th 2018, 4:20 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
W/o going back to read the rest of the thread, he paid you for the car? If so, and you signed over the title to him, then he owns it. Go to where the car was reported to be parked with a screwdriver and remove the plates immediately. Take them to the DMV yourself at your earliest convenience. I would also notify the police that I was doing this so that you are not arrested for theft. As it stands you are still listed as the legal owner of the car even though you are not because you accepted money in exchange for it. Safeguard yourself, call the police, advise them of what you are going to do, and then do it.
Thanks, this is along the lines of my thinking.
Maybe I can report it stolen?
Old Jun 30th 2018, 5:12 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Thanks, this is along the lines of my thinking.
Maybe I can report it stolen?
Don't get yourself in trouble by embroidering. Tell them the truth about what happened, you were paid for the car, but didn't get any paperwork and didn't remove and turn in the plates. I presume this was a cash transaction, so there's no paper trail whatsoever?
Old Jun 30th 2018, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

On someone else's property, in Florida? I would take the police with you!
Old Jun 30th 2018, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Don't get yourself in trouble by embroidering. Tell them the truth about what happened, you were paid for the car, but didn't get any paperwork and didn't remove and turn in the plates. I presume this was a cash transaction, so there's no paper trail whatsoever?
I'm with nutmegger, don't cause trouble by embroidering.
Old Jun 30th 2018, 6:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
On someone else's property, in Florida? I would take the police with you!
Isn't that what I implied when I told him to advise the police before going? I don't think RICH is a stupid man ;-) Thanks for spelling it out though.
Old Jun 30th 2018, 6:54 pm
BE Irregular

I kind of rented the car to him for about a year. It came to a point he had given me enough cash to call it his, so i handed it over. Now it wont go away!
Old Jun 30th 2018, 7:19 pm
BE Irregular

Isn't that what I implied when I told him to advise the police before going? I don't think RICH is a stupid man ;-) Thanks for spelling it out though.
Buddy lives in the hood so I'm not taking chances
Old Jun 30th 2018, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is the customer an old man named Ray?
Old Jun 30th 2018, 11:57 pm
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Is the customer an old man named Ray?
i am fairly stupid tbh
Old Jul 4th 2018, 2:52 am
BE Irregular

I still haven't figured out what to do about this. I think I need to confront him and get the plates & title back and maybe the car too. I don't think he is scamming me, rather too dumb/poor to do the right thing. Is there such a thing as a repo man for private citizens?. Legal action might be too costly. Calling the police does not sound right. I am at a loss.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I still haven't figured out what to do about this. I think I need to confront him and get the plates & title back and maybe the car too. I don't think he is scamming me, rather too dumb/poor to do the right thing. Is there such a thing as a repo man for private citizens?. Legal action might be too costly. Calling the police does not sound right. I am at a loss.
contact the dmv.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 1:32 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

In your first post you said he was your "buddy." So why not speak to him -- not "confront" him -- speak to him reasonably and explain that you need the plates and that he needs to register the car in his own name. You said he paid for it, so it is really his car. You are just as much at fault as him for not handling this transaction in a sensible manner, so why not try to sort it out amicably.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.