Selling car in FL

Old Jan 20th 2018, 8:30 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selling car in FL

Quick question before I Google.
Selling my old car to a buddy. What do I have to do and what does he, in terms of registration, title, insurance etc?
Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2018, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling car in FL

Originally Posted by RICH
Quick question before I Google.
Selling my old car to a buddy. What do I have to do and what does he, in terms of registration, title, insurance etc?
Thanks
If you have a clear title in hand, complete the transfer of ownership section on the title and provide a bill of sale.

He will need to take both plus proof of insurance to the DMV and get it re-titled and registered in his name.

The license tag on the car belongs to you. You must retain it and surrender it to the DMV .

If your buddy is in another state and/or the title shows an existing lien-holder, things get more complicated.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 9:30 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
If you have a clear title in hand, complete the transfer of ownership section on the title and provide a bill of sale.

He will need to take both plus proof of insurance to the DMV and get it re-titled and registered in his name.

The license tag on the car belongs to you. You must retain it and surrender it to the DMV .

If your buddy is in another state and/or the title shows an existing lien-holder, things get more complicated.
Thanks. What does clear title look like? Idk if I have it. It was my ex MIL car, then my ex wife's now mine. No lien. Buyer is same state.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 11:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. What does clear title look like? Idk if I have it. It was my ex MIL car, then my ex wife's now mine. No lien. Buyer is same state.
A clear title will only show your name. If there was a loan on the car (not a lien) the loan company's name would also appear.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 11:46 pm
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by Rete
A clear title will only show your name. If there was a loan on the car (not a lien) the loan company's name would also appear.
I will have to rummage to find this. I remember going to DMV during divorce to claim the car, but it is all fuzzy.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 12:30 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You can order another one from the DMV. The thing is it takes a couple weeks until you get it.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I will have to rummage to find this. I remember going to DMV during divorce to claim the car, but it is all fuzzy.
FL has electronic titles. You'd have to pay to get a paper version IIRC, but if yours is electronic t
You can just turn up at the tax office.

At least that's how it is where I am.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 12:34 am
BE Irregular

I found the title certificate, filed under car/title/DL. Should be straight forward now. Thanks all.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 12:51 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I found the title certificate, filed under car/title/DL. Should be straight forward now. Thanks all.
Glad this is no problem for you, Rich. (I'm assuming it all went/will go through fine.)

Two relatives just endured a bit of a nightmare trying to transfer title of an (ancient) vehicle, but the complicating factors were that the car owner had died & the new owner lived in another state. WHAT a palaver!

Each of these United State is its very own kingdom with its very own bizarre & arcane rules; it's a wonder anything gets done across state lines!!
Old Feb 11th 2018, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Glad this is no problem for you, Rich. (I'm assuming it all went/will go through fine.)

Two relatives just endured a bit of a nightmare trying to transfer title of an (ancient) vehicle, but the complicating factors were that the car owner had died & the new owner lived in another state. WHAT a palaver!

Each of these United State is its very own kingdom with its very own bizarre & arcane rules; it's a wonder anything gets done across state lines!!
We've just gone through the 'inter-state two-step'

We moved to Florida from Alabama 3 years ago. We registered both cars in Florida but have never laid eyes on the titles as they are financed (so held by the loan company). My belief was that Florida DMV would request the title from the loan company and send them back a Florida title.

Forward 3 years. We sold one of the cars to our daughter's fiancé. As it was still financed, he would get a loan to pay off the existing loan. After the loan was satisfied, my loan company sent his loan company the title which they sent to him to register it. But it was STILL an Alabama title. What's more, the Alabama DMV made him pay the last 2 years' tax on it.

So, it would appear it was never re-titled in Florida.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

In the event of the owner being deceased I have found the Abandoned Vehicle Process quite often works. Most states have a version of this.
I agree the DMV varies state by state sometimes with requirements of one state not being allowed by another state.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 4:58 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
In the event of the owner being deceased I have found the Abandoned Vehicle Process quite often works. Most states have a version of this.
I agree the DMV varies state by state sometimes with requirements of one state not being allowed by another state.
Interesting! Thanks for that suggestion.

The Husband & I have a couple of elderly relatives left in the neighbouring state, so we may need to check this out for ourselves....
Old Feb 13th 2018, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting! Thanks for that suggestion.

The Husband & I have a couple of elderly relatives left in the neighbouring state, so we may need to check this out for ourselves....
If the vehicle has not been on the road for some time check it actually exists in the national database.
I bought a motorcycle in Richmond from the widow of the owner who spent a lot of time completing the documentation as the executor of the estate.
I went to the DMV with the original title and documents from the widow to find that as the motorcycle had last been on the road in 1971 it had been deleted from the database and had to use the Abandoned Vehicle Process.
Old Jun 30th 2018, 2:11 am
BE Irregular

Bit of a wrinkle. Buddy never registered the car. I just found out it is still in my name. Can't get hold of him. Thinking about reposessing it. I know where he lives & works.
I gave him the title signed over in good faith but it looks like he scammed me😣
I found out as a law office called me about a case involving his relative, as the car was seen at their address😱
Old Jun 30th 2018, 9:53 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Did you take a copy of the signed title or bill of sale?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.