Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Second hand car advice

Second hand car advice

Old Jul 20th 2009, 6:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Second hand car advice

Right then, as I've no one really to chew the fat with, I figured I'd ask you lot instead

Thinking of ditching our cardiganmobile because it needs a new fuel tank to pass inspection in a couple months, all because of a tiny vapour leak, that's $1200 all in.

It's an '00, Saab 95 Aero and just rolled 100K miles over the weekend, trade in worth around $3500-3800, about what we've got left to pay on it I think.

All in, I bloody hate saabs, but might get another, because they are cheap to insure around here and the winter drive mode does kick some serious arse...but what else is worth looking at in the $10-12K mark? Don't want to go much over that because of all the extra faff of tax, registration and all that b/s. 4 door Saloon/Sedan, possibly a granny estate car.

Things going for this motor though, we've had it ages and know all about it, mechanically it is sound, just this vapour leak for inspection. Being fickle, I rather like the shade of green and the "klingon" 3 spoke rims look rather nice, compared to the standard shit looking alloys. It's got the prestige sound system, which doen't mean poo because the head unit has just died and that's $600, so after market sound if we keep it...does have a $1200 amp in there though and when it works, it's got rather nice sound. On a rolling start, it goes like shit off a stick and has a rather a nice turbo.

Cons, for the missus, it doesn't have heated seats, nor vented, the AC is really weedy and shit when it's stupidly hot out and randomly decides not to kick in for a while, works most of the time though (it's been recently recharged too)....crap cup holders and interiors....the rather nice turbo gives it way to much torque and the car feathers if you ram the power on a standing start which doesn't bother me but does scare the poo out of everyone else.

Just a quick look in the area, there's a '03 and a '05 Saab 93 with 67K/76K for $8K/$10K, one's manual the other ain't, both similarly spec'ed with nothing that exciting, both 2 owners, but the newer one was originally a fleet car, does have a better service record but probably ragged to within a inch of it's life, I know I'd have done that to a fleet car...the older one has the hard sports turbo which does go nicely....but then they're 93's, the limpy hairdresser version of the 95, with shit interiors apart from the leather.

So what are your thoughts and what else could I be looking for?
Old Jul 20th 2009, 7:34 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second hand car advice

Get a basic new Kia or similar ..your day of grand cars are long gone
Old Jul 20th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Hi Ray & Bob, there is certainly something in this
"Get a basic new Kia or similar". In the UK, always loved 2 yr old luxury car, someone else lost the big money. Here in USA, repairs very expensive, who knows rip off, small garages. Last 7 vehicles, brand new 36 month bumper to bumper warranty. I don't care how much the repair costs, not my problem. They can't rip me off.

The other problem here, 2 yr old car is almost the cost of brand new one, with shop around discounts. My dealer friends tell me, its because they pay too much for buy-in, so they can sell the new one.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe look at a Hyundai if you can get them used the SUV is pretty good on gas and a decent ride.
Alas my hunt for a decent used car up here wasnt so successful, lots of people trying to sell junkers for big $$. I've ended up with a Ford Focus with an extra set of studded tyres, it drives good , mpg is a fab 35-40 such a relief after 16mpg in the truck.
Oh and dont want to gloat but we dont do tax up here, even in the valley it tops out at a whopping $12.50 !

Good luck with your hunt !
Old Jul 20th 2009, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Right then, as I've no one really to chew the fat with, I figured I'd ask you lot instead

Thinking of ditching our cardiganmobile because it needs a new fuel tank to pass inspection in a couple months, all because of a tiny vapour leak, that's $1200 all in.

It's an '00, Saab 95 Aero and just rolled 100K miles over the weekend, trade in worth around $3500-3800, about what we've got left to pay on it I think.

All in, I bloody hate saabs, but might get another, because they are cheap to insure around here and the winter drive mode does kick some serious arse...but what else is worth looking at in the $10-12K mark? Don't want to go much over that because of all the extra faff of tax, registration and all that b/s. 4 door Saloon/Sedan, possibly a granny estate car.

Things going for this motor though, we've had it ages and know all about it, mechanically it is sound, just this vapour leak for inspection. Being fickle, I rather like the shade of green and the "klingon" 3 spoke rims look rather nice, compared to the standard shit looking alloys. It's got the prestige sound system, which doen't mean poo because the head unit has just died and that's $600, so after market sound if we keep it...does have a $1200 amp in there though and when it works, it's got rather nice sound. On a rolling start, it goes like shit off a stick and has a rather a nice turbo.

Cons, for the missus, it doesn't have heated seats, nor vented, the AC is really weedy and shit when it's stupidly hot out and randomly decides not to kick in for a while, works most of the time though (it's been recently recharged too)....crap cup holders and interiors....the rather nice turbo gives it way to much torque and the car feathers if you ram the power on a standing start which doesn't bother me but does scare the poo out of everyone else.

Just a quick look in the area, there's a '03 and a '05 Saab 93 with 67K/76K for $8K/$10K, one's manual the other ain't, both similarly spec'ed with nothing that exciting, both 2 owners, but the newer one was originally a fleet car, does have a better service record but probably ragged to within a inch of it's life, I know I'd have done that to a fleet car...the older one has the hard sports turbo which does go nicely....but then they're 93's, the limpy hairdresser version of the 95, with shit interiors apart from the leather.

So what are your thoughts and what else could I be looking for?
Personally, I'd go German. I've seen some decent 2003 A4's around the $10K mark with about 50 - 55K on them.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 9:08 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Go to a scrapyard and get a second hand fuel tank, then fit it yourself.

$100 and some elbow grease.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macca67
Personally, I'd go German. I've seen some decent 2003 A4's around the $10K mark with about 50 - 55K on them.
I enjoy a bit of German, myself from time to time.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 11:53 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Subaru WRX?
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Go to a scrapyard and get a second hand fuel tank, then fit it yourself.

$100 and some elbow grease.
It's a whole enclosed unit with the sensors and the like...I'd end up probably having other issues going second hand, and even then it's around $600....and it's a massive job on the Saab as it's a ball ache and I'm shit with cars.

Problem with inspections in mass, all the stations are tied to the DMV so if it don't pass, registration gets yanked and then your drivers license gets yanked...still don't know how so many junkers are on the roads though
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Ray
I've driven a loaner of an Hyundai Elentra I think it was...absolute brick, not interested in a SUV but have heard they are much nicer rides....Kia might be a goer but there isn't a dealer for miles around.

I've looked at a couple of Dodges, but after driving the Kaliber, kind of put off as cheap tat....the Charger is the only one that interests me and that's a no goer

Interested in Honda Civic/Accord, but they cost a fortune to insure down my way, the Saab is less.

Audi A4 is a thought, but lacking in dealers around here for them too and pricey fixers, but there are a couple of German import garages that just fix them. An old BMW 3 series is another thought, relatively cheap to insure down here, one benefit of the burbs I suppose.

Suburu is another one I like, Legacy/Impreza Outback.

Toyota's, what's a decent one to keep an eye out for?

All the missus wants is something with heated seats and I just want AC, a heater that'll melt the ice caps, heated mirrors and preferably leather seats as I'm the only one that usually has to wipe down the baby mess and it's so much easier. A bonus would be a set of tyres not costing $800 too
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

There's always the Smart Car, even a Brabus version.
Yesterday a friend took me for a ride in his and it wasn't that bad, at 6' 2" and 240 lb I didn't think
I'd get in but it's surprisingly roomy inside. Nice little runabout if you like that sort of thing.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Toyota's, what's a decent one to keep an eye out for?
I've had a Camry and more recently a Rav-4 that were both excellent cars.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by surly
There's always the Smart Car, even a Brabus version.
Yesterday a friend took me for a ride in his and it wasn't that bad, at 6' 2" and 240 lb I didn't think
I'd get in but it's surprisingly roomy inside. Nice little runabout if you like that sort of thing.
Car seat for the wee nipper and pushchair might be pushing the boat on one of those though

If we didn't have a baby, I'd love one of those things
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:22 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I've had a Camry and more recently a Rav-4 that were both excellent cars.
2004 Corolla S 148,000 miles
1998 4 Runner 137,000 miles

I'm happy.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
2004 Corolla S 148,000 miles
1998 4 Runner 137,000 miles

I'm happy.
Yay! We have a 4 Runner now. That's good to hear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.