Seattle is Dying

Old Mar 22nd 2019, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Seattle is Dying

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We have thought about buying an old RV and living in it. We pay below market rent for our unit compared to comparable units in the area, but its still 21,000 a year, on a 33,000 income, can get a used RV for around 2-3 months rent, insurance and gas isn't too bad, and well its cheaper then 21,000 a year for rent.
I know people who live out of vehicles, have helped them.

The much bigger issue coming in now is not the working poor, it will be the retired poor, well I have opened up things well beyond substance issues so lets go for it.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...elessness.html I do not want to get off topic but as the housing crisis was mentioned which is a much more difficult issue, here coincidentally is a story from today about LA.
Yes, I see it all the time. And tents on the sidewalk.
Little political will apart from increased taxes which get siphoned off for other demographics and their 'advocates'.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

Cost of living is getting too high.
Correct

Apparently the average Pensioner, well couple has $1m in assets, pensions etc when retiring, pretty impressive, but the mean is $100,000 with an expected spend of $43k.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Correct

Apparently the average Pensioner, well couple has $1m in assets, pensions etc when retiring, pretty impressive, but the mean is $100,000 with an expected spend of $43k.
In the process of trying to update my previous post, I deleted it, hence why the quoted comment is gone.

We will never retire, let alone have that much in assets, pensions are largely a thing of the past, closest is RRSP but I haven't worked for an employer (being low skill) who contributed any amount to one, and I never had the income where I could save, so work until death and if I can't work any longer, live on whatever CPP pays, if I need more in-depth care like a care home, well that will be up to the government to deal with. We never had kids, so wont have any family to assist us in old age.

My dad got a nice pension from his work (school district), retired at 58, makes more retired then I ever did working full-time lol
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

In the process of trying to update my previous post, I deleted it, hence why the quoted comment is gone.

We will never retire, let alone have that much in assets, pensions are largely a thing of the past, closest is RRSP but I haven't worked for an employer (being low skill) who contributed any amount to one, and I never had the income where I could save, so work until death and if I can't work any longer, live on whatever CPP pays, if I need more in-depth care like a care home, well that will be up to the government to deal with. We never had kids, so wont have any family to assist us in old age.

My dad got a nice pension from his work (school district), retired at 58, makes more retired then I ever did working full-time lol
My Dad also retired at 58 and lived another 26 years.

My Parents may have been able to work until late 60's not sure, not beyond that.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My Dad also retired at 58 and lived another 26 years.

My Parents may have been able to work until late 60's not sure, not beyond that.
My mom still works, she is 61. My dad just had no reason to keep working, so he retired, why keep working if you don't need to. Benefit to working for a government entity for 37 years, decent retirement.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 22nd 2019 at 7:32 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

My Grandfather worked well into his 70's and then lived another 20 years.

But thinking back they had a very simple life, no car no phone etc.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

We're 'comfortable' but I don't think I'll retire. I'm fortunate enough to attend conferences all over the place, which I enjoy.
We don't have children so it'll be getting left as trust funds for education and research.

Feminist writing and interstellar propulsion research.

Last edited by Hotscot; Mar 22nd 2019 at 8:35 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

Writing and Feminist Interstellar Propulsion.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Correct

I understand the difference between 'average' and 'mean', and I know they can be quite different. But are you really saying the average is $1m but the mean is $100,000 ? Do you have a source for that?
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I understand the difference between 'average' and 'mean', and I know they can be quite different. But are you really saying the average is $1m but the mean is $100,000 ? Do you have a source for that?
Let me see if I can find it, so basically because of the concentration of wealth in a few hands the numbers get skewed. I had to think it through, does make sense. I assume the disparity will get worse.

Old Mar 22nd 2019, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

11 minutes in.

You may need a stiff drink.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw an article a few days ago where a recent rule change will now allow companies to buy out their older defined benefit pension plans. It’s voluntary but the fear is companies will make low offers and people will take the cash which will be much less than they would have gotten. Probably spend it now and really be in trouble at retirement.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Just saw an article a few days ago where a recent rule change will now allow companies to buy out their older defined benefit pension plans. It’s voluntary but the fear is companies will make low offers and people will take the cash which will be much less than they would have gotten. Probably spend it now and really be in trouble at retirement.
I thought it was legal now in the UK, I have had such an offer but nothing I could do if I wanted to.

You can not cash out in the UK.

Tricky one, watch the video... And I have this conversation, none of us know how long we will live, do you live comfortably and worry about what happens in your great age if you make it later, or scrape by on the basis you will live to 100?
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFaZcC0lRU

11 minutes in.

You may need a stiff drink.
Definitely an interesting and sobering watch. I'm probably 80% equities right now ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.