Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Apr 29th 2014, 6:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by hotscot
It troubles me, the damage he's doing to internal and external relations.
He's a buffoon.
Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is, IMHO, unduly charitable to his performance and abilities.
But, in a democracy, that behavior can be effective in winning elections (and referendums.)
Old Apr 30th 2014, 1:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There was an interesting discussion on the Guardian web site about the UKIP and the Euro elections, seems even Labour are convinced UKIP will get the most votes so are throwing around the R word, Euroracism?

But they did think a UKIP win would help the YEs vote, which is a bit contra logical.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Watch the European elections on May 22.UKIP will do well in England and will flop totally in Scotland. Further divergence of the two political systems.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 10:54 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

My parents were muttering about voting UKIP in the coming election, but then not voting for them in the "real" one (their words) because they were "sick of everyone else".

Scary.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 12:03 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
My parents were muttering about voting UKIP in the coming election, but then not voting for them in the "real" one (their words) because they were "sick of everyone else".

Scary.
That is something I have heard a lot - the idea of a protest vote this time around.

I don't think some people realise the consequences of voting for someone in an election.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 1:31 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
That is something I have heard a lot - the idea of a protest vote this time around.
My mother's protest vote tactic was to vote for the person most likely to lose their deposit.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

http://wingsoverscotland.com/so-long...-all-the-fish/

Exercise your grey matter by seeing things from a different perspective !
Old Apr 30th 2014, 8:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47

Thanks for that link. Very interesting reading, not just this posting in the blog but other posts too.

One thing that I read there that I didn't know before, apparently the Treasury has said that, in the event of independence, the UK will take responsibility for the entire national debt, and Scotland will not have to take on a portion of it.

Not living in the UK, I haven't been following these discussions that closely. I don't get the logic of this thing about the national debt though. Shouldn't an independent Scotland get a share of the debt? And from the political point of view, by promising this (that Scotland starts out debt-free,) isn't the UK government encouraging Scottish voters to vote 'yes?'

Last edited by robin1234; Apr 30th 2014 at 8:55 pm. Reason: Fixed a typo..
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Scotland would have a share of the overall debt.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Boiler
Scotland would have a share of the overall debt.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...dge-reassuring

What about this debt pledge then? I assume what is going on is that the UK government had no alternative but to give this pledge, in order to retain international confidence in the UK, but what if Scotland takes the UK government at their word, and walks away from the debt?
Old May 1st 2014, 1:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...dge-reassuring

What about this debt pledge then? I assume what is going on is that the UK government had no alternative but to give this pledge, in order to retain international confidence in the UK, but what if Scotland takes the UK government at their word, and walks away from the debt?
Surely all that is in the devilish details to be worked out if Scotland votes "yes".

Hypothetically, if there is some reason for the UK to want to/ have to keep all the UK government debt, it could/should be offset with new debt issued by Scotland to the UK for an amount equivalent to Scotland's share of the debt. If that were to happen, HM Treasury would immediately start some combination of selling the debt and swapping the debt to reduce the exposure to being Scotland's only creditor.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 1st 2014 at 1:47 am.
Old May 1st 2014, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Treasury has guaranteed that the debt will be paid. That is not the same ! In the event of YES, there will be negotiations. Lots to talk about !

Last edited by scot47; May 1st 2014 at 7:53 am.
Old May 1st 2014, 12:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

As I said in an earlier post, this chap has a lot of interesting ideas and analysis. So long as you accept his agenda (he's on the YES side) there is much useful information.

However, he seems to be somehow associated with the Principality of Sealand. Doesn't this inexorably make him a nutcase?
Old May 1st 2014, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I dunno about him but I have a certificate of sanity. They gave it to me when I was discharged !
Old May 1st 2014, 12:56 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I dunno about him but I have a certificate of sanity. They gave it to me when I was discharged !

Mind you, these days, you were lucky to get a residential bid. It's mostly "care in the community" for folks, however dangerous they are!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.