Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Feb 27th 2014, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
"Standard Life" is putting plans in place to leave Scotland, if the Independence Vote is carried. They employ about 5,000 people, North of the Border;

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...itics-26364418

They are the first major employer to announce plans to leave, if they find it necessary.
They are not the first,RBS made a statement just recently that they may leave Scotland but since they got the UK the mess its in no-one really cares .They just reported a pre-tax loss for 2013 of 8.2 bil pounds.
The chairman of Standard Life is Gerry Grimstone ex tory cabinet minister who sold off the countries (your) nationalised companies BT,British Gas ,British Rail etc. for Maggie's government.No scaremongering here
Old Feb 27th 2014, 3:24 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Maggie's government
Still missing her after 25 years huh? Might be time to move on.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutek
Still missing her after 25 years huh? Might be time to move on.
To Blair?
Old Feb 27th 2014, 3:49 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
To Blair?
There is that.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Money floods south from Scotland
http://www.bbc.scotlandshire.co.uk/i...dum-looms.html
Old Mar 5th 2014, 8:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting article on the future of RBS and Lloyds in the event of independence for Scotland: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26455655. It explains why the banks' registrations would almost certainly have to move to part of the UK that is not Scotland, and why a currency union with Scotland would be impossible if the banks did not move (although that appears not to be an option). The history of the relevant EU regulation is interesting because it has its roots in the case of a bank that collapsed almost 23 years ago which was registered in Luxembourg but which had most of its operations in London.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 5th 2014 at 8:40 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scottish bakery launches opinion poll with cupcakes!
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...kery-1-3327602

For anyone interested this weeks poll results are:Cuckoo's Polling Report says: 29% YES, 51% NO, 20% UNDECIDED.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

Shame, there is a bit of me that would have liked to have seen the consequences.

From a distance.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose if Scotland decamps, the Union Flag might have to be changed to remove the Saltire of St. Andrew...Of course, in an earlier debate regarding the possible mutilation of the Union Flag by removal of the St. Patrick cross, Frank Aiken speaking in the Dail stated that he didn't want to "waste time on heraldic disputations."

Perhaps our flag will remain as it is no matter what the Scots want to do.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

nicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond repute

hello everyone, I am Scottish, (born here live here and work here) I am on this forum as my husband is working in Kl and we will be relocating there soon, we have discussed potential moves to various places and I love the idea of Houston so thought I would have a nosey on this forum page to se what people are saying. I started reading this thread and gave up at page 15, the negativity was quite horrible. In those 15 pages I saw not one anti English comment however saw many jibes about Scottish people and also a lot of ill feeling toward Alex Salmond. Please remember this is not a vote for SNP, nor is it a vote for Alex Salmond.
Change is needed and I for one will be voting yes. The current system does not work for Scotland it is not equal we are only a 10th of the size of England so our voice will never be heard and nor will our need be met.
We are as capable as any nation of governing ourselves and are not so naïve as to thing it will be without problems.
I believe it will take 10-20 years to see the full effects, and I sincerely hope that if its a yes vote then people accept that it is democracy in action.
I am not Anti English in the slightest, I have many friends who are English and love visiting many places in England.
This is not an anti English movement and I sincerely hope that people see the big picture and realise change takes time, I will cope with the cost of new passports and even wait for travel to the US if that's what it takes. If businesses are threatening to leave then that is their choice, some of the reports are stating they are leaving regardless however it looks good for the no campaign to use this. Scotland has the capacity to do well and there will be many who will support this. I find the biggest confusion in the better together campaign is the notion that we are better together until we wish to be independent and negotiate joint decisions as an equal partner. Why all of the things that make us better and stronger and the reason to remain can not be renegotiated to be fairer is beyond me.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I also frequent these forums...there's not a lot of anti-Scottish sentiment of a personal nature.

Salmond is a dick so anything that he wants is automatically untrustworthy.

Finally, many of us Scots are against independence. More devolution yes, but splitting up the Union would be a retrograde step and disastrous for Scotland.

(Me, I'm heading back for long enough to vote against it.)
Old Mar 16th 2014, 7:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
I also frequent these forums...there's not a lot of anti-Scottish sentiment of a personal nature.

Salmond is a dick so anything that he wants is automatically untrustworthy.

Finally, many of us Scots are against independence. More devolution yes, but splitting up the Union would be a retrograde step and disastrous for Scotland.

(Me, I'm heading back for long enough to vote against it.)
Ironically, I will be in the US on the day of the vote so have been looking into a proxy vote.

I think the perceived "anti-Scottishness" is either the few posts from people with a puerile sense of humour, or simply missing the intended irony. One can be too "PC" after all.

Salmond was on the Andrew Marr Show today being his usual self.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nicola s
I started reading this thread and gave up at page 15, the negativity was quite horrible. In those 15 pages I saw not one anti English comment however saw many jibes about Scottish people and also a lot of ill feeling toward Alex Salmond. Please remember this is not a vote for SNP, nor is it a vote for Alex Salmond.
Consider yourself lucky, far worse being Welsh.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

nicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond reputenicola s has a reputation beyond repute

hotscot we shall have to agree to disagree (my husband and I are poles apart on this too) I understand that someone's whole intention can be picked up wrong with how you read something and if you don't know someone then its even more difficult. I think its a very emotional subject and I hope more people manage what you are doing and get home to vote. and David I think the Welsh people are lovely I have never had the pleasure of visiting Wales yet, and hope to remedy that soon.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

ps dunroving I am from Glasgow originally and my family and friends there seem to trade in irony and very base humour so I don't think I missed the irony or the funnies it just seemed more negative than I would have thought however we are lucky there is an opportunity to discuss and debate and also the fact we are seeing democracy change things and not violence is a credit to all involved

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.