the Scottish independence issue

Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

They could use Bitcoins!
Old Feb 14th 2014, 7:03 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
If Scotland votes to leave the United Kingdom and therefore to become an independent country......it will no longer be permitted to remain part of the £ Pound Sterling Currency Area

An Independent Scotland under Comrade President Salmond will be forced to either apply to become a member country of the € Eurozone...an extremely protracted process complete with many pitfalls.....or cobble up its own Scottish currency unit...perhaps the one it ditched way back in 1707 when it became part of the Union as we know today...well, until 18 September perhaps.

The Governer of the Bank of England in London, a host of currency and finance experts on both sides of the border, and all the main political parties at Westminster have all combined to say that it simply would not be possible for Scotland to hold onto the Pound Sterling as its currency if the majority of Scots vote for Independence.

Alex Salmond maintains that it will, so maybe he knows best ......he says Scotland will not be "bullied" by the English...or by the hated Tories...Tory of course being a nasty word of abuse back home in Scotland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-26166794
As usual, both sides are talking at cross-purposes. When expressions like "keep the pound" are used, it means both sides are correct.

The UK can prevent (or rather, deny permission to) Scotland to remain (or rather, join) as part of a common currency union.

However, Salmond is correct that Scotland can "keep the pound". They can use whatever currency name they want. AFAIK, they can even tie it to the value of the GBP, they just can't dictate British economic policy such as interest rates thereby determining the value of the GBP. Being unable to control fluctuations in the currency their economy is built on would put them in a poor situation.

I'm getting a bit bored of the word "scaremongering" - it seems to be the mot de jour in politics these days. When all sides are using it against each other all the time, it loses any meaning whatsoever.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Agree with this. The suggestion that Scotland would have access to the VWP immediatly is just rubbish, since the participants are legislated and that won't happen overnight.
If Scotland becomes independent, presumably anyone who was already born in Scotland is still a UKC (since Scotland was part of the UK when they were born). Also, they would be able to pass on UK citizenship to any children born in an independent Scotland (by descent). So it would be a very long time before significant numbers of people born in Scotland, with at least one UKC parent, were not also UKCs themselves. As UKCs, they would still be eligible for the VWP.

Additionally, a 'Yes' result in the referendum doesn't immediately create an independent Scotland. It's going to take months of negotiation and preparation afterwards to iron out the details before independence arrives.

Personally, I can't see a 'Yes' vote. They are behind in the polls already and this is the time when people can be brave without suffering any consequences. Once the cold, hard reality of a 'Yes' vote becomes apparent, I suspect many of those people, who currently tell pollsters they will vote 'Yes', will actually end up voting 'No'. It's much less likely that a significant number of people currently intending to vote 'No' will change their minds.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Feb 26th 2014 at 5:41 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 5:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
They could use Bitcoins!
After news about Bitcoin over the past week, I doubt that very much.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 5:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
...... So it would be a very long time before significant numbers of people born in Scotland, with at least one UKC parent, were not also UKCs themselves. As UKCs, they would still be eligible for the VWP. .....
Ironically, though, only if they used a United Kingdom passport!

..... Personally, I can't see a 'Yes' vote. They are behind in the polls already and this is the time when people can be brave without suffering any consequences. Once the cold, hard reality of a 'Yes' vote becomes apparent, I suspect many of those people, who currently tell pollsters they will vote 'Yes', will actually end up voting 'No'. It's much less likely that a significant number of people currently intending to vote 'No' will change their minds.
Agreed. I also suspect that many of the "don't knows" are apathetic to the extent that the "yes" support is so low, and that any significant surge in support for independence will provoke those who currently aren't bothered to get out and vote against independence.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 26th 2014 at 5:46 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 6:16 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

I'm getting a bit bored of the word "scaremongering" - it seems to be the mot de jour in politics these days. When all sides are using it against each other all the time, it loses any meaning whatsoever.

Not just these days, many Political discussions, QT type of programs, Robin Day in his hay day interviewing.Party politicians arguing 1von 1, or in group discussions.
Excecs when arguing with union members, and people who are self-opinionated trying
to discredit or put someone down, at a significant hight of the discussion.
My older brother-in-law when we were arguing trying to impress my sister.
Oh what Bankmanagers do when threatning to pull out of Britain if bonus control is mentioned.
50years of meaning being lost to contra Scaremongers
We should make a scaremonger statue and honour it on voting d a ys.

Last edited by fuchs01; Feb 26th 2014 at 6:20 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
If Scotland becomes independent, presumably anyone who was already born in Scotland is still a UKC (since Scotland was part of the UK when they were born). Also, they would be able to pass on UK citizenship to any children born in an independent Scotland (by descent). So it would be a very long time before significant numbers of people born in Scotland, with at least one UKC parent, were not also UKCs themselves. As UKCs, they would still be eligible for the VWP.

Additionally, a 'Yes' result in the referendum doesn't immediately create an independent Scotland. It's going to take months of negotiation and preparation afterwards to iron out the details before independence arrives.

Personally, I can't see a 'Yes' vote. They are behind in the polls already and this is the time when people can be brave without suffering any consequences. Once the cold, hard reality of a 'Yes' vote becomes apparent, I suspect many of those people, who currently tell pollsters they will vote 'Yes', will actually end up voting 'No'. It's much less likely that a significant number of people currently intending to vote 'No' will change their minds.
Unfortunately with regard to the "Citizenship" question your presumption appears to be incorrect...for UK Citizens read "Scottish" citizens from Day One of Independence should that come about as a result of the forthcoming Referendum.

http://www.yesscotland.net/news/key-...ndent-scotland

The real truth of the matter is that there is very little chance of an Independent Scotland, severed from the UK as its stands at present coming into existence anyway if current public opinion polls back home in Scotland are any form of guideline.

Of all of my family members (bar one cousin) and friends (again bar one and he is only 17 anyway which is why the wily Salmond aimed to have the voting age in Scotland reduced to 16 for this referendum!) - all of them still living up in Scotland - are all firmly against any kind of breakaway from the current UK Constitution.

The risks are just too great for the canny Scots at large in spite of Salmond's misplaced bletherings and blusterings about some kind of future Scottish Utopian dream fit for heroes..and heroines.....free of the Sassenach strangehold.

There really does appear to be more support for Scottish independence down here in this rather (politically) Conservative part of Southern England among supporters of the English Conservative party than there is back home in Scotland where Conservative voters really are truly thin on the ground to say the least, even in Morningside...if Scotland becomes independent then the chances of a future Labour Government in England will be considerably reduced as Westminster will have said goodbye to 42 Labour MP's.

Also there is an awareness down here that social welfare expedenditure per capita is higher in Scotland than it is in England, and it is quite clear where most of that financial support for Scots is coming from.....English taxpayers.

I will not have to apply for citizenship of what would remain of the UK after all, or show my passport at Gretna Green, Coldstream or Berwick when leaving or entering England...and the Union Flag will still hold on to its blue bits.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately with regard to the "Citizenship" question your presumption appears to be incorrect...for UK Citizens read "Scottish" citizens from Day One of Independence should that come about as a result of the forthcoming Referendum.

The real truth of the matter is that there is very little chance of an Independent Scotland, severed from the UK as its stands at present coming into existence anyway if current public opinion polls back home in Scotland are any form of guideline.

Of all of my family members (bar one cousin) and friends (again bar one and he is only 17 anyway which is why the wily Salmond aimed to have the voting age in Scotland reduced to 16 for this referendum!) - all of them still living up in Scotland - are all firmly against any kind of breakaway from the current UK Constitution.

The risks are just too great for the canny Scots at large in spite of Salmond's misplaced bletherings and blusterings about some kind of future Scottish Utopian dream fit for heroes..and heroines.....free of the Sassenach strangehold.

There really does appear to be more support for Scottish independence down here in this rather (politically) Conservative part of Southern England among supporters of the English Conservative party than there is back home in Scotland where Conservative voters really are truly thin on the ground to say the least, even in Morningside...if Scotland becomes independent then the chances of a future Labour Government in England will be considerably reduced as Westminster will have said goodbye to 42 Labour MP's.

Also there is an awareness down here that social welfare expedenditure per capita is higher in Scotland than it is in England, and it is quite clear where most of that financial support for Scots is coming from.....English taxpayers.

I will not have to apply for citizenship of what would remain of the UK after all, or show my passport at Gretna Green, Coldstream or Berwick when leaving or entering England...and the Union Flag will still hold on to its blue bits.
Thats interesting as all of my family and friends back in Scotland are voting YES.My ex-wife who lives in Edinburgh and is from Ireland will be voting and take a guess which way she will vote!
The polls seem to indicate the gap is getting closer as the No campaign keep making giant gaffes as witnessed in the STV debate yesterday where Scottish Labour Leader Johann Lamont came out with "We're not genetically programmed to make political decisions in Scotland"
Old Feb 26th 2014, 11:45 pm

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Thats interesting as all of my family and friends back in Scotland are voting YES.My ex-wife who lives in Edinburgh and is from Ireland will be voting and take a guess which way she will vote!
The polls seem to indicate the gap is getting closer as the No campaign keep making giant gaffes as witnessed in the STV debate yesterday where Scottish Labour Leader Johann Lamont came out with "We're not genetically programmed to make political decisions in Scotland"
Ah, theyre saying they will vote yes, but will they.mmmm.
And your Ex seems an intelligent woman, so theres one NO for a start.
When Irish eyes are smiling...
Old Feb 26th 2014, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuchs01
Ah, theyre saying they will vote yes, but will they.mmmm.
And your Ex seems an intelligent woman, so theres one NO for a start.
When Irish eyes are smiling...
What part of my comment you didnt understand or are you just kidding with me?
Old Feb 27th 2014, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by neilcumming
What part of my comment you didnt understand or are you just kidding with me?
Ooohhhh tcha , you found me out..
Old Feb 27th 2014, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say anything about Scottish citizenship. I was talking about UK citizenship. My presumption was that if they are currently UKCs, they will remain UKCs if Scotland becomes independent and they will still be able to pass on UK citizenship to their kids for one generation (by descent). If you read the link you provided you will see the following:

"Scotland will also allow dual citizenship, so, for example, enabling people to hold Scottish citizenship and citizenship of the rest of the UK. "

Obviously UK law decides who is and isn't a UKC and Home Secretary Theresa May has already been scaremongering on the UK citizenship issue. But millions of people were born in Scotland which is currently part of the UK and they carry UK passports. Is the UK govt really going to revoke their UK citizenship just because the place in which they were born decided to leave the UK? Does this include Scots who voted 'no' in the referendum and Scots living in other parts of the UK and around the world? I can't see that standing up to legal scrutiny when Scotland was part of the UK at the time of their birth.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Feb 27th 2014 at 11:11 am.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

"Standard Life" is putting plans in place to leave Scotland, if the Independence Vote is carried. They employ about 5,000 people, North of the Border;

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...itics-26364418

They are the first major employer to announce plans to leave, if they find it necessary.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
"Standard Life" is putting plans in place to leave Scotland, if the Independence Vote is carried. They employ about 5,000 people, North of the Border;

They are the first major employer to announce plans to leave, if they find it necessary.
I bet the banks would leave too.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I bet the banks would leave too.

And perhaps the Clyde Shipyards, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.