Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Dec 23rd 2013, 7:08 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Perhaps Scots would retain some sort of supranational citizenship to the UK in the same way they already do for the EU.
In their dreams they do. The rest of the UK wouldn't have it. If they go they go it alone and they go for good besides and they no longer british citizens. Again Salmond hasn't really discussed the immigration and nationality situation has he? Probably because to be honest he doesn't have a clue does he?
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 7:10 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm not Scottish.
But you do live in Scotland? If not born there what makes you think you will even get a vote?
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 7:13 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by customsquestion
But you do live in Scotland? If not born there what makes you think you will even get a vote?
I live there. Doesn't make me Scottish. I'm British. Scottish residents get to vote, Scottish-born nonresidents don't (except those who have a postal or proxy vote, I presume).
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 7:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised also. Certainly, for the vast majority of Scots, the ability to visit the USA on the VWP has to stand head and shoulders above all other considerations combined with respect to independence.

Regards, JEff
As has been discussed on here Scotland would almost certainly have to navigate the so called "visa waiver road map". The one that Romania, Poland, Argentina and other country are country on some of which have been on for years for various reasons.

I am frankly surprised the anti independence argument hasn't raised this point before now to be fair

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Dec 23rd 2013 at 7:19 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 7:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Salmond is unaware of all these clearly critical issues - it's not that he's clueless, he's clever enough to avoid addressing them. He's a smart cookie.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 7:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
To me, it appears you have a fixation on making sure Scottish cits could continue travelling to the US, if a 'yes' vote occurs. Why the worry? Sounds like that would be important to you, but it may not necessarily be at the top of everyone else's list.
I say keep them out of america!

Being serious I am just surprised the anti campaign isn't bringing travel related issues up to maybe a make a young person think twice or any person think twice. Why don't you just ask a bunch of young people how they feel and then explain to them this issues around the VWP and going to Europe, working in Europe that sort of thing. See what they say to you

Last edited by customsquestion; Dec 23rd 2013 at 8:46 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 12:12 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

customquestion.
Why do you keep mentioning this question of whether someone is born in Scotland? Why do you think this is crucial? Surely you know that, as part of the United Kingdom, any British person can live in Scotland, and as a Scottish resident, obviously would have a vote in the referendum? And plenty of people born in Scotland are not resident there. They will NOT have a vote in the referendum.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 7:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by robin1234
customquestion.
Why do you keep mentioning this question of whether someone is born in Scotland? Why do you think this is crucial? Surely you know that, as part of the United Kingdom, any British person can live in Scotland, and as a Scottish resident, obviously would have a vote in the referendum? And plenty of people born in Scotland are not resident there. They will NOT have a vote in the referendum.
What is the point of a vote. Now way countless none scottish born people vote yes knowing they may have to leave the country or choose a nationality. Again Salmond hasn't discussed of matters of so called scottish citizenship because he doesn't want to spook people, instead he talks of vat cuts and winter fuel this and that that he can't pay for.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 12:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

What is the point of a vote. Now way countless none scottish born people vote yes knowing they may have to leave the country or choose a nationality. Again Salmond hasn't discussed of matters of so called scottish citizenship because he doesn't want to spook people, instead he talks of vat cuts and winter fuel this and that that he can't pay for.
Presumably Mr. Salmond doesn't have a monopoly of the public information and discussion that is going on. If unionists feel it is important to raise issues of (for instance) how British citizens will in future choose or be assigned Scottish citizenship, then they should talk about it.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 2:37 pm
Ping-ponger

In fact, Mr. Salmond is saying very little. His pitbull sidekick, Ms. Sturgeon (a nippy-sweety if ever I saw one, but without the sweety) seems to be in charge of rallying support for independence.

He's not daft. If the vote goes the wrong way, she'll be in the firing line.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 2:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by dunroving
In fact, Mr. Salmond is saying very little. His pitbull sidekick, Ms. Sturgeon (a nippy-sweety if ever I saw one, but without the sweety) seems to be in charge of rallying support for independence.

He's not daft. If the vote goes the wrong way, she'll be in the firing line.
She looks like a sweetie. Bit touchy feely with Mr. Salmond in a lot of the pictures ...
Old Dec 26th 2013, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Go Lers
My apologies for misspelling "Wales" and I too believe the vote will keep them in the Union.

I remember learning that Quebec had a similar vote in the early 90's and I was very surprised, I'm not even Canadian.

I know if a state like California or Texas were going to vote to see if they wanted to declare independence from the United States it would be front page news and cause quite a concern in this country. I'm curious to see what comes out of all this referendum business.
I would be intrigued by the possibility of California separating from the US, I really would! It would form the 9th largest economy in the world.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 6:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I would be intrigued by the possibility of California separating from the US, I really would! It would form the 9th largest economy in the world.
Californians would not be able to live in new york,miami, atlanta, vegas, chicago, houston and new orleans, the cool cities anymore. The people of cali would stuck in cali for the rest of their lives. That would shut them up.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would that be a geological or political separation?
Old Dec 26th 2013, 10:06 pm
Ping-ponger

And if Yorkshire had separated from the rest of the UK, it would have come something like 7th on the medal table at the 2012 Olympics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.