Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Jan 24th 2014, 8:35 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by hotscot
Yummy.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 3:05 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think Dinorwig in north Wales was the first such installation in the UK. I guess it must have been somewhat successful if they built another.
There are at least two pump storage scheme in Scotland as there is another by Invergordon. They work because coal and nuclear power plants produce at a steady rate cannot react quickly to changes in demand. Hydro electric can react quickly as all you basic have to do is open or close the tap. By combining the different solutions you store the spare energy from the coal and nuclear during low demand ready for the peaks later in the day.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 3:12 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'd never thought about this before, but encouraging people to install solar systems could shave a good bit of the peak off the domestic demand curve because AC is the biggest driver of domestic electricity usage.
The big demand during the day is normally industry and office space. If you can look at the demand levels over a complete week and you will get a better idea of how much domestic consumption affects the overall level.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 3:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AZ_Alba
The big demand during the day is normally industry and office space. If you can look at the demand levels over a complete week and you will get a better idea of how much domestic consumption affects the overall level.
Agreed, .... I did say "... of the domestic demand curve." As with other plans to reduce energy consumption or make production AND consumption more efficient, you have to take savings where you can find them, a bit here, and a bit there. One way is to use solar power to assist with cooling, because the sun is high in the sky for much of the time when you need the most cooling. Leveling the demand curve for electricity allows you to make the most efficient use of nuclear and coal where production is hard to turn on or off.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My gut tells me PV generation to run AC is not logical, will look it up when I have a chance.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 4:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
My gut tells me PV generation to run AC is not logical, will look it up when I have a chance.
You are correct, it is unlikely that a domestic PV installation would be any where close to producing enough power to run AC. .... Which is why I said "assist".
Old Jan 25th 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AZ_Alba
There are at least two pump storage scheme in Scotland as there is another by Invergordon. They work because coal and nuclear power plants produce at a steady rate cannot react quickly to changes in demand. ...
With coal you can turn down the wick and run at a lighter load, it doesn't take all that long - minutes not hours. Though there is a minimum to keep the pot boiling and the wheels turning much fuel can be saved for later as unburned coal. The planet really likes coal to be left unburned!

With nuclear however the fuel is but a small fraction of the total operating cost. and you certainly do not want to shut down needlessly, that is a huge waste. So nuclear power really is use it or lose it, nothing to be gained by not generating the power. Which is why nuclear is so very suitable for baseline generation.

Of course with nuclear the issue is waste safety. Which is a very solvable problem if governments had the will to solve it. Sadly they don't have that will; not if it comes at a political cost, and it does.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

So say in 5 years a reasonable case could be made that the populace of Scotland would be 10 Scottish Punts or or whatever better off by being in the UK then they should seek to rejoin?
I wouldnt think so.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

A Happy Rabbie Burns Day to one and all.I love haggis,unfortunatley here in Mexico its not that popular ,cant understand why not as they eat a lot of strange stuff.Anyway I shall have a wee dram (single malt of course) for our greatest poet, as I hope you will,slainte.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 5:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
A Happy Rabbie Burns Day to one and all.I love haggis,unfortunatley here in Mexico its not that popular ,cant understand why not as they eat a lot of strange stuff.Anyway I shall have a wee dram (single malt of course) for our greatest poet, as I hope you will,slainte.
Here's a health to them that's awa'
Old Jan 25th 2014, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

And damnation to Scotia's enemies !
Old Jan 25th 2014, 8:15 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 25th 2014, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I wouldnt think so.
Why not, would be a lot of money to some people, keep them out of the food banks.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 1:29 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Arizona is the crux.

Anyway 3sq miles of reflectors generates enough for 70,000 people during day light hours and 6 hours afterwards.

The general principal makes sense assuming there is nothing hidden.

Arizona of course has a lot more sun and more evenly spread between summer and winter. And a lot of space.

Translate that to Scotland, the stored energy would be much less and would not get you past Eastenders.

In a Scottish location you would to serve the same number of people need much more land and much more equipment. And whilst in the Summer you would be quids in, during the winter another issue.
Once they're independent and have a space program, they'll simply have to put a reflector in orbit, and aim the concentrated light at a fixed point on the ground to make steam.

Pete
Old Jan 27th 2014, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

Ahh

Hope it does not wobble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.