Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Jan 18th 2014, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I just looked up the population of Scotland ... 5.25 million; about the same as the population of the San Francisco Bay Area metro, or the Phoenix Metro, and less than the population of Greater London ... yikes, what a big to-do about nothing ...!

As you were ...
Or 3x that of Northern Ireland....
Old Jan 18th 2014, 6:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I just looked up the population of Scotland ... 5.25 million; about the same as the population of the San Francisco Bay Area metro, or the Phoenix Metro, and less than the population of Greater London ... yikes, what a big to-do about nothing ...!

As you were ...
The UK is basically England, and England is dominated by London. Almost half the population of the UK live within 100 miles of Charing Cross. Scotland is nothing but an appendix, just a particularly grumbly one.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 6:33 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Scotland is nearly 3x the size of say Belgium, and there has been long term issues between the north and the south.

Scotland, well you have the Borders, Lowlands, Highlands, Islands and would for example Aberdeen want to be tied in with Glasgow?
If Aberdeen declared independence, Scotland would be in deep doo-doo.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
If Aberdeen declared independence, Scotland would be in deep doo-doo.
Are you sure?

It's Shetland's oil you know.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Shetland historically has not had that much connection with the Lowlands, much more so with Norway, who may be open to an arrangement.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Are you sure?

It's Shetland's oil you know.
Says who?
Old Jan 18th 2014, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Scotland is nothing but an appendix, just a particularly grumbly one.
Hey, I'm fond of you too
Old Jan 19th 2014, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The UK is basically England, and England is dominated by London. Almost half the population of the UK live within 100 miles of Charing Cross. Scotland is nothing but an appendix, just a particularly grumbly one.
Excuse me????? What about Wales and also my homeland (Northern Ireland)??????????
Old Jan 19th 2014, 3:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Excuse me? What about Wales and also my homeland (Northern Ireland)?
I'm sorry, I did not mean to offend. I was only stating further facts, in support of others who noted above, how small the populations of Scotland, Wales, AND Northern Ireland, actually are. They are, very small populations, compared to the population of London and it's satellite cities within 100 miles.

I could and perhaps should have noted the populations of Cornwall, and Cumbria are also small, at least to demonstrate that I was not denigrating Northern Island, merely observing the facts of population size.

FWIW. The combined population of Scotland (5.3m), Northern Ireland (1.8m), and Wales (3), is 9.2 million, and barely more than the population of London at 8.2 million. In fact if you add in the continuously urban areas surrounding London, such as Kingston, Richmond, Croydon, Seven Oaks, Esher, and similar "absorbed satellites" on the north side of the Thames, the population of the "London conurbation" is greater than that of the three smaller constituents of the United Kingdom combined. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Anyhow I am not a Londoner, nor an apologist for London.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 19th 2014 at 3:33 am.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 3:03 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Excuse me????? What about Wales and also my homeland (Northern Ireland)??????????
Yeah, what about Northern Ireland being part of the UK? My Derg-born husband refuses to discuss it and his family refuse to act like they have to choose who to associate with, where to go, or what sports team to support based on partisan politics. I only discuss it when I tell Americans my husband is from NI and the first thing out of their mouths is something clueless about the Troubles. Our own loyalties? We're family-oriented, community-oriented, working people who love each other, our home, and our dinners, and we're atheists.

I also have a tummyache and dishes to do and I'm frustrated. Sorry if that came out harsh.

Last edited by Speedwell; Jan 19th 2014 at 3:05 am.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

If that does not work, try this

http://www.inplaceoffear.com/in-place-of-fear-ii-media/

Sillars is no stooge of other political figures.

Last edited by scot47; Jan 19th 2014 at 10:41 am.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 11:57 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by scot47
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

If that does not work, try this

http://www.inplaceoffear.com/in-place-of-fear-ii-media/

Sillars is no stooge of other political figures.
My favorite part (quote): "We can ignore the White paper ... Alex Salmond is irrelevant"

Like my colleague (who will vote yes), he recognises that independence will at least mean Scotland controls its destiny.

Unlike my colleague, he seems to think independence will bring an end to unemployment, inequality, poverty. My colleague simply says that any problems following independence will belong to Scotland and they can no longer blame Westminster, which is the main reason he is planning to vote Yes..

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 19th 2014 at 12:33 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 12:35 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
My favorite part (quote): "We can ignore the White paper ... Alex Salmond is irrelevant"

Like my colleague (who will vote yes), he at least recognises that independence will mean Scotland controls its destiny. Unlike my colleague, he seems to think independence will bring an end to unemployment,inequality, povery. My colleague simply says that any problems following independence will belong to Scotland and they can no longer blame Westminster.
The scots like wanting people to blame, so they wont vote for Independence.
They need a place they can send their useless politicians, Westminister is for them,
what Australia was for breadpinchers those many years ago
Old Jan 19th 2014, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Yeah, what about Northern Ireland being part of the UK? My Derg-born husband refuses to discuss it and his family refuse to act like they have to choose who to associate with, where to go, or what sports team to support based on partisan politics. I only discuss it when I tell Americans my husband is from NI and the first thing out of their mouths is something clueless about the Troubles. Our own loyalties? We're family-oriented, community-oriented, working people who love each other, our home, and our dinners, and we're atheists.

I also have a tummyache and dishes to do and I'm frustrated. Sorry if that came out harsh.
Yikes!!! What the heck?????????????? I only stated the fact that Northern Ireland is part of the UK. That's all! Chill!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 19th 2014, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuchs01
The scots like wanting people to blame, so they wont vote for Independence.
I'm sure you are wrong on the first part.

To my mind Sillars talks a lot of sense. For better or for worse Scotland needs to find its own place in the world.

I just wish they could take Wales and Northern England with them since they have a lot more in common with Scotland than with Westminster. But it is not to be so good luck to the Scots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.