British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   the Scottish independence issue (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/scottish-independence-issue-817782/)

Nutek Dec 16th 2013 1:24 pm

Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 11039463)
Poll vote? :thumbup:

Already done, funnily enough. :)

SultanOfSwing Dec 16th 2013 1:34 pm

I'm against it, myself, being the staunch unionist that I am. I believe the strength of the UK is due to the sum of her parts, and Scotland is just as responsible for what makes/made the UK great as much as England, Wales or NI are.

Selfishly, of course I don't want a theoretical Scottish independence putting ideas into the heads of the would-be bogtrotters back in NI either ...

Speedwell Dec 16th 2013 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11039443)
You really are a complete twat.

I have Romanian friends and co-workers, and they uniformly agree with customsquestion. Which is weird, because most of them are actually decent people. When I tell them this, they give a dramatic sigh and say, "You don't understand, in my country we..." I chalk it up to a massive collective self-esteem problem.

Speedwell Dec 16th 2013 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11039477)
Selfishly, of course I don't want a theoretical Scottish independence putting ideas into the heads of the would-be bogtrotters back in NI either ...

[unprintable]

SultanOfSwing Dec 16th 2013 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Speedwell (Post 11039526)
[unprintable]

Oh, cry me a river. We're talking about Sinn Fein/IRA here. They deserve as much respect as a physics lecture run by fundamentalist christians, FFS.

Nutek Dec 16th 2013 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11039625)
Oh, cry me a river. We're talking about Sinn Fein/IRA here. They deserve as much respect as a physics lecture run by fundamentalist christians, FFS.

:goodpost:

Speedwell Dec 16th 2013 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11039625)

haha, I was agreeing, not disagreeing; my husband and his family and I are if anything aggressively nonpartisan and have a reputation for it... even when he was younger my husband could drink in any bar in town. :) The unprintable comments were directed at the hooligans.

SultanOfSwing Dec 16th 2013 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Speedwell (Post 11039699)
haha, I was agreeing, not disagreeing; my husband and his family and I are if anything aggressively nonpartisan and have a reputation for it... even when he was younger my husband could drink in any bar in town. :) The unprintable comments were directed at the hooligans.

Ahhhhh. Wrong end of the stick, there.

I could drink in any bar in town as well because they were pretending to have a ceasefire when I reached drinking age (I say pretending because this was one year before Omagh but that's another point for another thread). I always made sure I knew where I was but in Carrick, where I grew up, there were more penguins than nationalists and in Belfast I was only approached once. That, however, was in a bar on the Lisburn Road that I knew to be heavily Loyalist, so when the boys from the UVF made themselves known I knew how to act :D

customsquestion Dec 16th 2013 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11039443)
You really are a complete twat.

I worked at Mount Rushmore for a summer like ten years ago now. 6 Romanians worked there that summer season students whatever, all of whom got deported for theft for either stealing from people's room or off the shop floor or drug possession. They had english and irish bunac universtiy guys and american college kids who didn't put a foot wrong. Show me ONE english person who has been involved in credit card skimming. It's huge problem in england and it's all organised Romanian gangs, shoplifting gangs and these guys who the 3 cup cons around the stations in central london. All Romanian. There was a huge operation around the games to cut down on it. The U.S Gov knows this they know it could be a problem in the U.S if all and sundry could get in the vwp.

customsquestion Dec 16th 2013 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Speedwell (Post 11039521)
I have Romanian friends and co-workers, and they uniformly agree with customsquestion. Which is weird, because most of them are actually decent people. When I tell them this, they give a dramatic sigh and say, "You don't understand, in my country we..." I chalk it up to a massive collective self-esteem problem.

Sounds right, you could say why do english people and england fans kick off aboard and kick off when they drink. They don't have the problems with drinking trouble in france you know or whatever. It's the culture it's just the way it is. Same for Romanians many are just dishonest people and U.S gov knows it.

jeffreyhy Dec 16th 2013 6:09 pm

Except that Texas isn't in the UK to begin with.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas (Post 11036600)
... Also on a more emotional level taking Scotland out of the UK would be like taking Texas out of the UK, ...

Speedwell Dec 16th 2013 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 11039980)
Except that Texas isn't in the UK to begin with.

Regards, JEff

Pedant. (Quoth the pedant.) :D

Mr Weeze Dec 16th 2013 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by customsquestion (Post 11039893)
I worked at Mount Rushmore for a summer like ten years ago now. 6 Romanians worked there that summer season students whatever, all of whom got deported for theft for either stealing from people's room or off the shop floor or drug possession. They had english and irish bunac universtiy guys and american college kids who didn't put a foot wrong. Show me ONE english person who has been involved in credit card skimming. It's huge problem in england and it's all organised Romanian gangs, shoplifting gangs and these guys who the 3 cup cons around the stations in central london. All Romanian. There was a huge operation around the games to cut down on it. The U.S Gov knows this they know it could be a problem in the U.S if all and sundry could get in the vwp.

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/...0002-20254720/

Lance Warwood is a good Romanian name. Now in the spirit of a straw man, I deem you to be wrong in every other post made, ever.

customsquestion Dec 16th 2013 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze (Post 11040178)
http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/...0002-20254720/

Lance Warwood is a good Romanian name. Now in the spirit of a straw man, I deem you to be wrong in every other post made, ever.

One englishman 7 years ago. I don't care why Romania is or is not on the VWP, Why don't you write to your congressman and ask him, do a freedom of information, see what they say about it. Visa Waiver Program isn't even on the scots radar anyway. They will be 2 clicks from a third world country and they know it. Break up would cost scotland 140 BILLION according to daily mail article. Inflated? Perhaps but not by much. Be mad to do it, never happen in a million years

Nutek Dec 16th 2013 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze (Post 11040178)
wrong in every other post made, ever.

Seems a fair assessment.