Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Dunrovin:"Apparently, though, he"

He what?

Are you ok?

Last edited by Hotscot; Sep 29th 2014 at 3:43 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:47 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Daily Mail story here. The DM page says scroll down for video, but I couldn't find it.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:48 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Dunrovin:"Apparently, though, he"

He what?

Are you ok?
"... was booed at the 2012 Ryder Cup".

For some reason the Web embed function did something weird with the text (added it to the top of the video graphic).
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

I know there is no empire although some people in the south of England still believe there is!Im just making a point that I think the UK has underacheived big time.Another instance,Germany a country that had its industries almost completely destroyed 70yrs ago has an economy ,industry and exports that is miles better than the UK and didnt have the luxury of an empire!
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Valid economic points none of which would be solved by Independence in my opinion.
But certainly worsened.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Empire's cost, as the US is finding out.

Germany had a small one. Obviously tried for a much bigger one.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Valid economic points none of which would be solved by Independence in my opinion.
But certainly worsened.
Im just making a point ,in my opinion that Britain isnt that great and hasnt been for a long time.I know you will disagree with me but I believe Scotland needed to break from this failing union to be able to prosper.
In the news today at the tory conference Osbourne announced the budget cuts of 25 billion,4 billion of that to hit Scotland,to cheers from the tory delegates.
I wonder if they have food banks in Germany!
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
.... In the news today at the Tory conference Osbourne announced the budget cuts of 25 billion,4 billion of that to hit Scotland, ....
To provide one possible answer to my question from last Saturday, had Alex Salmond discovered a money tree? You can't spend what you don't have, and I would have thought as a Scotsman you would understand that?

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 29th 2014 at 5:12 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I know you will disagree with me but I believe Scotland needed to break from this failing union to be able to prosper.
We're going round in circles...

There have been many substantial reasons give as to why this would be a bad idea economically.

And no substantial answers on how Scotland would prosper.

Although it was a while ago you may remember some organizations were making plans to leave if Independence had passed.

Fortunately the majority of Scots were sensible in that regard although the minority do not seem to respect that decision as they had promised.
Sore losers that they are.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

We're going round in circles...

There have been many substantial reasons give as to why this would be a bad idea economically.

And no substantial answers on how Scotland would prosper.

Although it was a while ago you may remember some organizations were making plans to leave if Independence had passed.

Fortunately the majority of Scots were sensible in that regard although the minority do not seem to respect that decision as they had promised.
Sore losers that they are.
OK. Can we close this thread now? Please.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
To provide one possible answer to my question from last Saturday, had Alex Salmond discovered a money tree? You can't spend what you don't have, and I would have thought as a Scotsman you would understand that?
Im not going to go over the stats as it has been done to the death on here BUT Scotland IS a wealthly country.Salmond is gone so its a moot point now but yes maybe an iScotland would have made cuts in spending to cut the debt,who knows but would those cuts be targeted against the poorest and most vulnerable in society? The tories are so predictable,as I said its just the same old same,no vision at all.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:33 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You can't spend what you don't have
There are functioning, successful governments that disprove that thesis, year after year after year.

A country that controls its own currency can operate with deficit spending if it has sufficient GDP to support the debt. That leaves more money in the hands of the public, which can then spend and invest it to create more GDP that supports future deficits.

The Scots run a deficit, but so does the UK as a whole. Independence may not be a great idea, but that isn't a good argument against it.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
There are functioning, successful governments that disprove that thesis, year after year after year.

A country that controls its own currency can operate with deficit spending if it has sufficient GDP to support the debt. That leaves more money in the hands of the public, which can then spend and invest it to create more GDP that supports future deficits.

The Scots run a deficit, but so does the UK as a whole. Independence may not be a great idea, but that isn't a good argument against it.
I could not of have said it better ,thanks.
Ok close the thread down if you want but what that means I have to speak spanish to the wife for 6 months.Roll on the next referendum oops there will be soon, the in out EU one!?
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:44 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP

What does this mean in plain English? (not kidding; I don't get it).
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:55 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
What does this mean in plain English? (not kidding; I don't get it).
For a country to control its monetary policy, it has to control its money.

In other words, a country has to have its own currency for this work. Not all of them do, with Euroland being the world's largest example of this. (The Greeks suffer because the Germans control the euro that the Greeks have to use, for example.)

Scotland would need to have its own currency in order for this to work. Joining the euro or keeping the sterling would limit its ability to operate with deficits, since it would not have much or any control over its ability to print money; the central bank has to be able to respond to local conditions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.