Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Sep 23rd 2014, 5:28 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by Steerpike
My g/f would attest to that! She has every intention of riding out her working life doing Cobol. She's paid very well, and now works from home. A few years ago, the company that developed the software she worked on tried to outsource the Cobol development to India but it was a big failure. They had much more success outsourcing their Java development.

Before that, the company tried to re-write the entire application in Java, but that failed too. They have written java 'wrappers' around all the cobol modules so they can be called and used in more modern environments (necessary for user interfaces and other interfaces) but the guts of the functionality is still a massive pile of Cobol code.
Sounds like she would get on very well with Mrs. N.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

A little bit good news for the SNP in the aftermath of the referendum.
SNP membership soars as Labour could 'die out' | Scottish National Party
SNP membership doubled.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares...we stopped their stupid and ill thought out, (no thought out), drive for Independence.

Probably all those school children...
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Who cares...we stopped their stupid and ill thought out, (no thought out), drive for Independence.

Probably all those school children...
Well I think the 30,000 people who have joined the SNP in last fews days making it the third biggest party (in terms of membership) in UK ,those are the people who care,as I do.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

They may care about the SNP.

I and the others who voted against Independence on the other hand, care about Scotland.

(Neil..you just seem to want the SNP to 'win' without being able to articulate why. They act like we're under the yoke of the English which we're not. We've already seen how businesses were ready to pull out. This Nationalistic nonsense is bad for my country and I am furious at Wee Eck for almost dragging us to ruin.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Sep 27th 2014 at 12:15 am.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

I and the others who voted against Independence on the other hand, care about Scotland.

(Neil..you just seem to want the SNP to 'win' without being able to articulate why. They act like we're under the yoke of the English which we're not. We've already seen how businesses were ready to pull out. This Nationalistic nonsense is bad for my country and I am furious at Wee Eck for almost dragging us to ruin.)
I believe the only way forward for Scotland is to break away from this unequal union and I still think Scotland can acheive independence.It will be interesting to see what happens when there is a referendum on the EU,what will happen if England votes to leave the EU and there is a majority vote in Scotland to stay.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 2:35 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

My beloved (Killie man) shares your views.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 3:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I believe the only way forward for Scotland is to break away from this unequal union ......
But you have given no explanation as to how it would actually be made better, as in "how would it be funded and made real?". Sorry but tourism is not going to to cut it, and in fact for at least 9-10 months of the year Scotland is not most people's idea of a good place to go on holiday. So how would Scotland pay for all the improvements in education, healthcare and social welfare? There is no evidence that companies were lining up to relocate to Scotland, and you know perfectly well the opposite was true! And presenting a plan of increased corporate and/or personal taxation is also about the worst possible plan for increasing a country's tax base. ...... So, now that the dust has settled and independence is off the table for a very long time, share with us the secret plan that the SNP was going to implement to make Scotland a powerhouse economy.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And why did they work so damn hard to keep it secret...?
Old Sep 27th 2014, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But you have given no explanation as to how it would actually be made better, as in "how would it be funded and made real?". Sorry but tourism is not going to to cut it, and in fact for at least 9-10 months of the year Scotland is not most people's idea of a good place to go on holiday. So how would Scotland pay for all the improvements in education, healthcare and social welfare? There is no evidence that companies were lining up to relocate to Scotland, and you know perfectly well the opposite was true! And presenting a plan of increased corporate and/or personal taxation is also about the worst possible plan for increasing a country's tax base. ...... So, now that the dust has settled and independence is off the table for a very long time, share with us the secret plan that the SNP was going to implement to make Scotland a powerhouse economy.
No Im not going to give you an explanation how better Scotland would be as an independent country as I know you would completely disagree on anything I would say and it has been talked to the death on these threads.I will tell you how Un-Great Britain is ,how is has been a failure.I think it was a huge mistake to join the then Common Market .The UK should have been in EEA AND strengthened trade links with the commonwealth countries .I remeber when UK was about to join the common market in the 70s a now faceless minster was asked "why dont we do more trade with Australia!?",he replied it was too far away!I can imagine Capt. Cook (hes scottish wiki it)when being given the orders to navigate to the newly sighted land that is now Australia and saying "sorry chaps its too far away"The UK could had the best of both worlds,who would have known the world would have went global doh! I know Cameron went to India a wee while ago on a trade mission but the UK could have been at the forefront of the Indian growth years ago which is now ranked 10th in the world.Simialr story with Hong Kong,we couldnt have negotiated a new lease years before it ended or negotiated special trade links with China.Complete failure.Canada and Australia everybody drives cars built by american companies,maybe it could have been british companies or a better slice of the market.Where are the british car companies now,all german owned!Maybe there could have been a sterling zone with these countries, not impossible ,the pound could have been a global currency similar to the US$ .Im just saying it could have a whole lot better !
Old Sep 27th 2014, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No Im not going to give you an explanation how better Scotland would be as an independent country

Something in common with Wee Eck then...
Old Sep 27th 2014, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine Capt. Cook (hes scottish wiki it)
Captain Cook was born in the same village as me. My family home is a few hundred yards from his birthplace. Many a school trip to his birthplace museum
Old Sep 27th 2014, 6:03 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubiblu
Captain Cook was born in the same village as me. My family home is a few hundred yards from his birthplace. Many a school trip to his birthplace museum
The one born in Yorkshire, right?
Old Sep 27th 2014, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
The one born in Yorkshire, right?
That's the one Boro and Proud!
Old Sep 27th 2014, 6:12 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubiblu
That's the one Boro and Proud!
Keep suffering then

Weeze is a smoggie too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.