Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Sep 22nd 2014, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Let's see if the Unionists deliver what was promised in "The Vow" the day before the vote.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/po...d-nick-4265992

Last edited by scot47; Sep 22nd 2014 at 9:41 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 2:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Whether they deliver or not, I doubt the timeline is realistic - but then we are talking about politics and politicians here. I already see whinging from the former Yes camp, and it's only 3 days since the result of the referendum was known.

Of course the Yes camp would have delivered all of the wondrous benefits they were promising by Christmas, I'm sure.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 2:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Not sure how widespread the notation is, but "<>" is the symbol I've always known for 'not equal to'. Other forms from a standard keyboard are != and possibly /=, but <> is what I've always used.

While 2 is certainly < than 3, my point was that 2 is not 3 ...

Perhaps .NE. would be another choice...
Ah, that's a new one on me, never heard of <> meaning N/E to.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 2:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Also post #2151, above.

"<>" used to be a standard boolean code in BASIC programming, and also maybe COBOL, but the last time I did any programming was in the 1980's so I am not sure what the current usage is, though as there still isn't a combined "=/", I suspect "<>" is still used.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

It's from computer languages where < is "less than" and > is "more than" and the combination <> is "not equal to".

I think the symbols have the same meaning when used in statistical analysis.

The usage is so common in computer languages that we sometimes forget that it is not necessarily common in every day use.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Whether they deliver or not, I doubt the timeline is realistic - but then we are talking about politics and politicians here. I already see whinging from the former Yes camp, and it's only 3 days since the result of the referendum was known.

Of course the Yes camp would have delivered all of the wondrous benefits they were promising by Christmas, I'm sure.
The problem with the timeline is there is going to be a general election in the middle of it. Parliamentary sovereignty means those promises are close to useless.

Besides Labour would never agree because it condemns them to being second fiddle to the Tory party in England.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 7:49 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
The problem with the timeline is there is going to be a general election in the middle of it. Parliamentary sovereignty means those promises are close to useless.

Besides Labour would never agree because it condemns them to being second fiddle to the Tory party in England.
Seems invariably politicians have to offer something they can't really give in order to be elected (or in this case, to win the referendum). Then the losers get to criticise them for not delivering. Salmond/Yes were promising all sorts they could never have delivered.

If politicians told the complete truth, they'd never get elected.

Amazes me sometimes that people still get worked up about the business of "politics as usual". A leopard doesn't change its spots.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

COBOL and BASIC ? Our retired Lieutenant Colonel is giving away his age !
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 10:43 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Still a lot of money in COBOL programming.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well I suppose it proves that I first learned to program some time during the last 50 years, which puts me somewhere between 7 and about 80, or so.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:42 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
... which puts me somewhere between 7 and about 80, or so.
Well you are, aren't you?

Couldn't be arsed reading every single post I missed while I was in the UK for the vote, but was there as much sour grapes on here as there was on arsebook from the deluded ... I mean, the yes camp?
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Well you are, aren't you? ....
I might be.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I might be.
You're either an octogenarian with all (or most of) your marbles or a textbook six-year-old
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 1:03 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You're either an octogenarian with all (or most of) your marbles or a textbook six-year-old
I vote 78
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 1:07 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
I vote 78
Falling within his original range, interestingly enough.

Why, now, do I have a mental picture of Rowley Birkin, QC?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.