Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Sep 18th 2014, 2:08 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by rpjs
I understand that one interpretation of the failure of the Darien Scheme was that the dastardly English kiboshed it by refusing to allow their colonies to trade with Darien, and did so with a view to forcing Scotland into a union.

A different interpretation is that the Scots were daft to even think of establishing a colony there because
a) Darien is extremely inhospitable; even today the Pan-American Highway does not cross the Darien Gap.
b) It was right slap-bang in the middle of Spanish America, and so Spanish hostility did far more to destroy the colony than English. (Note that the English colonies were almost all on the fringes of the areas the Spanish were active in.)
I don't think your 2 options are mutually exclusive, bits of both maybe? I sense that the English and Spanish acted to be less than supportive of Darien to put a competitor out of action in the "New World". Although disease was literally the real killer of the Darien project.

I am not sure forcing Scotland into Union came into English consideration, I can't believe they were that forward thinking.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 2:11 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Before today I had no idea about Scottish empire ambitions, that there were a number of Scottish colonies in the Americas. The Darien Scheme (in Panama) being the crown jewel, that fell flat on its face, and partly helped towards acceptance of union a few years later. Fascinating all this history. Anyone else know about this, was I alone in my ignorance?
The Scots were quite busy at one time, individual merchants, traders,business men, explorers, some with financial backing, some on a wing and a prayer.
Amongst the great French Voyageur, early trappers, were many Scots with various ambitions.In Canada and early Northern USA terrortories, the North West company, not only French canadians, one could add Scottish Canadians, though French might of been the communicating language.The French had a keen eye on supporting Irish, Scottish interests, just to upset the B.Empires tentacles.

The Darian gap scottish history is quite an amazing but sad story.
My wife and I in the early 80s were going to join an adventure trek group to travel, with thoughts of building up our own adventure travel company,through this wild stretch of swamp and jungle, bordering Panama and Columbia.
Unfortunately armed guerrilla movements became intense, and ransom style kidnapping or attempts were becomming a smallscale norm.Actually put a break on thoughts of any further S.America adventures....Ni modo asi es la vida..
Old Sep 18th 2014, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

Looks like the BBC coverage will streaming on C-SPAN 3, which is good to see! BBC Scottish Independence Referendum Coverage | Video | C-SPAN.org
Old Sep 18th 2014, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

Have noodled around on TV listings some more and it looks like BBC World News will also carry the "Scotland Decides" programme from BBC One. Their coverage kicks in a little later, though, at 6pm. So two actual TV choices tonight for watching BBC One without any jiggery pokery required!
Old Sep 18th 2014, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

32 Local Government areas in Scotland all counting and declaring a result individually.......polling ends at 22:00 hrs BST and final outcome officially announced around 06:30 hrs BST (or perhaps more appropriately SST - Scottish Summer Time Friday 19/09/14.)

Today I have been feeling strangely patriotic and a wee bit weepy even though I now live in England, love England and my English mates, and do not have a vote but I feel more strongly about what may happen back home in Scotland far more than I thought I ever would do!

Last edited by Lothianlad; Sep 18th 2014 at 4:43 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 5:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
..polling ends at 22:00 hrs BST and final outcome officially announced around 06:30 hrs BST (or perhaps more appropriately SST - Scottish Summer Time Friday 19/09/14.)

l]
Didn't I read that, in the event of independence, Westminster will not permit Scotland to use either GMT or BST? They'll have to go half an hour in one direction or the other, like Newfoundland does?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 5:34 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 18th 2014, 5:46 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Didn't I read that, in the event of independence, Westminster will not permit Scotland to use either GMT or BST? They'll have to go half an hour in one direction or the other, like Newfoundland does?
I don't think that's something they can dictate is it? sounds more like one of the stories put around like the one about them having to switch to driving on the right
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

In the immortal words of the greatest manager in english club football,Sir Alex Ferguson:
"Its squeaky bum time"
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Running live coverage of BBC commentary re: vote count here (it's being simulcast in US on C-span 3):

BBC Scottish Independence Referendum Coverage | Video | C-SPAN.org
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:53 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Running live coverage of BBC commentary re: vote count here (it's being simulcast in US on C-span 3):

Prediction from a yougov poll is a NO victory, by 8%.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

C-SPAN 3 coverage got off to a shocking start -- took them ten-fifteen minutes to get the audio sorted. But now we're up and running. Also on BBC World News starting at 11.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD

Cheers for the link!

They really have nothing to talk about right now do they?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 10:11 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Twitter is already calling it as a no. Will be interesting to see if they are right.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 10:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I don't think that's something they can dictate is it? sounds more like one of the stories put around like the one about them having to switch to driving on the right
I would say Westminster CAN do this, out of spite. However, now it's looking like they may not have to? It is inconvenient, being in one of those time zones with a half hour increment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.