Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by Nutek
What about TV? Will the BBC lower some sort of lead shield? Will People in Scotland need a license? (Do they now?). How will that be enforced?

Will Monarch of the Glenn (or whatever passes for local TV) be available down south?
The Scottish Government will be able to afford several of these. Not the full size, but the die cast should fit in Salmonds mini-me budget.
PRO214 Morris Y Type Post Office Radio Service TV Detector Van - Promod Models
Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:42 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
The Scottish Government will be able to afford several of these. Not the full size, but the die cast should fit in Salmonds mini-me budget.
PRO214 Morris Y Type Post Office Radio Service TV Detector Van - Promod Models

Those are pretty cool actually.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever happens, I bet they still won't get past the first round of the World Cup
Old Sep 17th 2014, 5:26 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Whatever happens, I bet they still won't get past the first round of the World Cup
To be fair, no member of the UK has exactly covered themselves in glory there in recent years.....
Old Sep 17th 2014, 5:27 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
What about TV? Will the BBC lower some sort of lead shield? Will People in Scotland need a license? (Do they now?). How will that be enforced?

Will Monarch of the Glenn (or whatever passes for local TV) be available down south?
They'll all be getting VPNs so they can access iplayer
Old Sep 17th 2014, 5:28 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
To be fair, no member of the UK has exactly covered themselves in glory there in recent years.....
When even Wales have reached the quarter finals (albeit in 1958), there's something wrong
Old Sep 17th 2014, 5:38 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

My worry is that the whole thing has created a massive, ugly divide that will take a long time to heal regardless out the outcome. I've been out of Scotland for 4 years and the arguments I've seen across my friends social media have mostly made me glad to not be there currently. As a general, any native Scot that has come out as no has been called a traitor. Non-native scots have been told that if they aren't voting yes then they clearly don't love the country so shouldn't be there. Those pro-independence are being carried along on a wave of how everything is going to be better, fairer and generally rosy. These are people that have been perfectly sensible in their opinions until this vote. People that would usually point of the good and the bad and consider both angles don't seem to be doing that for this vote.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

That is very sad...
Old Sep 17th 2014, 5:47 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
My worry is that the whole thing has created a massive, ugly divide that will take a long time to heal regardless out the outcome. I've been out of Scotland for 4 years and the arguments I've seen across my friends social media have mostly made me glad to not be there currently. As a general, any native Scot that has come out as no has been called a traitor. Non-native scots have been told that if they aren't voting yes then they clearly don't love the country so shouldn't be there. Those pro-independence are being carried along on a wave of how everything is going to be better, fairer and generally rosy. These are people that have been perfectly sensible in their opinions until this vote. People that would usually point of the good and the bad and consider both angles don't seem to be doing that for this vote.
Yep these are my thoughts, if the vote is as close as they are predicting it means that half the country will be unhappy with the outcome which can't possibly be a comfortable situation.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 5:51 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I actually wonder if I won't be as close as the polls are showing. I imagine some of the no voters are saying they are yes voters to avoid confrontation.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 5:57 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
People have been defacing, stealing and even burning the No banners around where I live. I think there is some of this happening on both sides but the Yes campaign seems to involve more of it IME.

I drive past one place every day on my way to work, that has two of the big fibre glass signs. Every day they look like they have been damaged in some way and every day the owner has repaired, replaced or stood it back up. It's good to see such persistence.

Overall there has been very little civil unrest but a lot of insidious bullying. Whatever the result I hope there is no recrimination in either direction.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 6:24 pm

I've just been chatting with a friend outside Edinburgh. They are both 'professionals' (she's a dentist, he's a CEO of the UK arm of an international shipping company) and they have made contingency plans to move south should Yes win. They are pretty well off, their kids are grown, and although they are both scots, they have both lived in the SE (of England) for considerable periods, so have no qualms about "de-camping".

They've taken the day off tomorrow, and are planning on voting early, then heading South to visit her parents in England for the weekend. They are "no" voters, and say the atmosphere is not pleasant round where they are, so they want to be away when the results come in, just in case it is a "no", and especially don't want to be around to see the partying if it is a "yes". I found that pretty sad.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I've just been chatting with a friend outside Edinburgh. They are both 'professionals' (she's a dentist, he's a CEO of the UK arm of an international shipping company) and they have made contingency plans to move south should Yes win. They are pretty well off, their kids are grown, and although they are both scots, they have both lived in the SE (of England) for considerable periods, so have no qualms about "de-camping".
Out of curiosity did they say why they're already making plans? I've seen the news from this side of the pond, and some of the concerns but wondered what is driving that decision in advance?

I'm personally in favor of a major rewrite (or creation) of the constitution to get to a federal type system and keeping the UK. However Scotland could stand on its own, and theres been plenty of negative impacts on rUK discussed also.
Just curious......
Old Sep 17th 2014, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Alan17
Out of curiosity did they say why they're already making plans? I've seen the news from this side of the pond, and some of the concerns but wondered what is driving that decision in advance?

I'm personally in favor of a major rewrite (or creation) of the constitution to get to a federal type system and keeping the UK. However Scotland could stand on its own, and theres been plenty of negative impacts on rUK discussed also.
Just curious......
They felt that the atmosphere in their village was not pleasant with such deep divisions, and that they probably wouldn't want to live there whichever way it goes. He was instrumental in moving their (small) UK operation up to Scotland back in the 90's, but is now more keen to move back to a known business environment rather than weather out any uncertainties with independence. I guess her career is transportable pretty much anywhere - she will just need to get into a practice, which she doesn't seem to think will be a problem
Old Sep 17th 2014, 8:29 pm

I must stress these people always appeared reasonable before this whole campaign started, but this is the sort of stuff they are posting. I edited it for language.
Attached Thumbnails the Scottish independence issue-image.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.