Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:24 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Any thought on Domain Suffix? Presumably .co.uk isn't going to fly.

What top level domain would Scotland use?

ISO guidelines (ISO 3166) all country codes must have two letters but the obvious choices ".sc", ".so", "st", "sl" and "sd" seem taken, ".scot" exists but isn't a country code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...-level_domains

Wonder how much <insert unknown currency symbol here> that will cost for everyone to switch (and who will pay).
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

AB short for Alba
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:40 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
AB short for Alba
Gonna be a lot of rebranding / reprinting going on. Might be a good time to open a shop.

How about .ex.uk?
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
A question, probably for dunroving who appears to be, in this thread at least, one of the most actually informed in a situation where many claim to be informed...

In the event of a yes vote, there is then an 18 month period in which " the details" are negotiated.
That's likely to be a pretty acrimonious negotiation, particularly with things such as shouldering the burden of the national debt, so what process, if any, is in place to deal with the situation in which an agreement can't be reached?
As I understand it, that date in 2016 that is specified in the Scottish white paper is just one of thousands of bland assertions in that document that are actually yet to be decided, in the event of a yes vote. So, if there is a yes vote, as I understand it, various civil servants and politicians will actually have to roll their sleeves up and come up with a realistic date for independence that allows for all the essential factors to be in place. Probably two or three or more years in the future, not eighteen months.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:50 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
How about .ex.uk?

That's quite a good one, actually.

You bring up a good point there though, it's the seemingly silly little details like that that, when brought up, highlight the cart-before-the-horse approach the yes campaign seems to have adopted since the start.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Gonna be a lot of rebranding / reprinting going on. Might be a good time to open a shop.

How about .ex.uk?
This raises a big question ... maybe already been mentioned earlier in the thread. If the vote is yes, would that then be a tremendous employment boost for both Scotland and the UK, as contractors and consultants and menial workers are taken on to create new agencies, new infrastructure and computer systems and ad infinitum? I saw a report on an interview with someone from HP, the computer folks, that suggested they were salivating over the prospect...
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:53 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

.as?

He's gonna want his head on the currency ( while all the while demurely denying it), so why not his initials on the web domain..?
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:58 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
In the dozens (actually, more like 100's) of hours of coverage and debates and interviews I have watched, I haven't seen any definitive discussion of the process that would follow a Yes majority vote. The SNP has started to put together a list of names of people who have agreed in principle to serve on the negotiating committee on behalf of Scotland. Some of these are actually in the No camp and I am pretty disgusted by the fact that the slippery little git has been using this information to insidiously set a tone that Independence is a foregone conclusion, and that people in the No campaign recognise that.

Almost every discussion of a post-Yes adjustment period has quite emphatically concluded that 18 months is nowhere near a realistic timeline.
I feared as much.
I foresee many "yet again Westminster denying us our democratically proven right to independence by imposing unreasonable terms" type speeches in the coming months/years....glad I'm over here and it will all (hopefully) disappear from the media shortly....
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:59 pm
ivo
Just Joined

ivo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ivo
Ha ha! I have to admit, that's a brilliant response. <snip>.

Enjoy your point of view.
You've edited out a throwaway, intentionally rediculous, personal insult but you also censor the bit about arguing with bigots being futile.

Making sweeping negative generalisations about an entire country of people is bigotry. If you substitute "Scottish people" for another minority in the original statement maybe you'll see my point. The OP has no facts to back up the comment.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
As I understand it, that date in 2016 that is specified in the Scottish white paper is just one of thousands of bland assertions in that document that are actually yet to be decided, in the event of a yes vote. So, if there is a yes vote, as I understand it, various civil servants and politicians will actually have to roll their sleeves up and come up with a realistic date for independence that allows for all the essential factors to be in place. Probably two or three or more years in the future, not eighteen months.
Setting a firm date, but no other details does seem to be a strategy fraught with difficulties...and it goes without saying that it will be west minsters fault for delaying it...
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

.as?

He's gonna want his head on the currency ( while all the while demurely denying it), so why not his initials on the web domain..?
Throw in an 'r' and an 'e' and that's perfect ...
Old Sep 16th 2014, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

When I first started work, the deputy CEO took me under his wing. I was broad Yorkshire, first time working in London. He was Glaswegian. One of his favorite sayings to me was "folk can only talk down to you if you let them".
It was just random people I didnt know ,I just thought that they have the problem.I much preferred working in the north of England ,the people there are more down to earth.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

In the past new countries that don't have a top level domain of their own have used .su on a temporary basis.
(Used to be Soviet Union which, of course, no longer exists).
Old Sep 17th 2014, 7:05 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

How about .ex.uk?
Pay a royalty (snicker)to Disney and call it the 'Magic Kingdom'.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 11:10 am

What about TV? Will the BBC lower some sort of lead shield? Will People in Scotland need a license? (Do they now?). How will that be enforced?

Will Monarch of the Glenn (or whatever passes for local TV) be available down south?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.