the Scottish independence issue

Old Sep 15th 2014, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Well not all....
Old Sep 15th 2014, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think the Scots have this circular thing going on where they think the English hate them, which of course they don't at all, but they keep whingeing on until you do feel you'd rather see the back of them.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Welsh? (usually just after the six nations)
Old Sep 15th 2014, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Welsh? (usually just after the six nations)
not totally.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:51 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Scots have this circular thing going on where they think the English hate them, which of course they don't at all, but they keep whingeing on until you do feel you'd rather see the back of them.
My thoughts exactly. That and the ABE-syndrome around sports used to become quite wearing.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Sally I lived in England for 11yrs.I wouldnt say hate but I was certainly talked down to many a time as though I was some second class citizen, mainly in the south .
Old Sep 16th 2014, 4:08 am
ivo
Just Joined

ivo is an unknown quantity at this point

What an ignorant statement. We want to leave the union and enter an uncertain political and economic situation because we're not sure if you really like us? GTF!

When I think about an independent Scotland I don't think about English people at all. I'm excited to have self-determination; not for the chance to stick it up our neighbours.

It's a heady mix of arrogance and ignorance that breeds such a point of view.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 4:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Sep 16th 2014, 4:33 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Sally I lived in England for 11yrs.I wouldnt say hate but I was certainly talked down to many a time as though I was some second class citizen, mainly in the south .
When I first started work, the deputy CEO took me under his wing. I was broad Yorkshire, first time working in London. He was Glaswegian. One of his favorite sayings to me was "folk can only talk down to you if you let them".
Old Sep 16th 2014, 4:39 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivo
What an ignorant statement. We want to leave the union and enter an uncertain political and economic situation because we're not sure if you really like us? GTF!
Err, I think you missed the cause/effect there.....she was saying (some) English want the Scots to leave because of the incessant whingeing, not that the Scots want to leave because they think the English hate them.....

It's a heady mix of arrogance and ignorance that assumes that all English people want the Scots to remain part of the Union.....
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:00 am
ivo
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Err, I think you missed the cause/effect there.....she was saying (some) English want the Scots to leave because of the incessant whingeing, not that the Scots want to leave because they think the English hate them.....

It's a heady mix of arrogance and ignorance that assumes that all English people want the Scots to remain part of the Union.....
No I got the entirety of the comment but, err, thank you for explaining. It carried more than one message for me.

I didn't make any assumptions about English people in my post so why are you projecting? You'll have to wait until I actually say some ignorant/arrogant pish before you call me out on it.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Making my point for me I think.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by ivo
We want to leave the union and enter an uncertain political and economic situation because we're not sure if you really like us? GTF!
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:41 am
ivo
Just Joined

Making my point for me I think.
Ha ha! I have to admit, that's a brilliant response. <snip>.

Enjoy your point of view.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 16th 2014 at 11:53 am. Reason: Rule 1. Argue your point, but do it without stooping to personal insults, thanks.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:59 am

A question, probably for dunroving who appears to be, in this thread at least, one of the most actually informed in a situation where many claim to be informed...

In the event of a yes vote, there is then an 18 month period in which " the details" are negotiated. That's likely to be a pretty acrimonious negotiation, particularly with things such as shouldering the burden of the national debt, so what process, if any, is in place to deal with the situation in which an agreement can't be reached?
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
A question, probably for dunroving who appears to be, in this thread at least, one of the most actually informed in a situation where many claim to be informed...

In the event of a yes vote, there is then an 18 month period in which " the details" are negotiated. That's likely to be a pretty acrimonious negotiation, particularly with things such as shouldering the burden of the national debt, so what process, if any, is in place to deal with the situation in which an agreement can't be reached?
In the dozens (actually, more like 100's) of hours of coverage and debates and interviews I have watched, I haven't seen any definitive discussion of the process that would follow a Yes majority vote. The SNP has started to put together a list of names of people who have agreed in principle to serve on the negotiating committee on behalf of Scotland. Some of these are actually in the No camp and I am pretty disgusted by the fact that the slippery little git has been using this information to insidiously set a tone that Independence is a foregone conclusion, and that people in the No campaign recognise that.

Almost every discussion of a post-Yes adjustment period has quite emphatically concluded that 18 months is nowhere near a realistic timeline.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.