Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Sep 14th 2014, 5:16 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Practically all of the public opinion polls being disclosed on what seems to be an hourly basis (making many of my English friends and colleagues down here in (very warm and sunny on a daily basis for quite some time now! ) what must be about the most English part of England - the Cotswolds - causing them now to feel peed off and even not being all that bothered one way or the other with an almost "let the b******s go if they want to go and good riddance to the f******s whiners" attitude borne out of constant repetition and permanent coverage, irrespective of the very drastic consequences their departure would bring about in this country.

One thing is for sure, though - every poll published shows a margin in favour of a No to independence vote even though they are all quite narrow...none larger than about 5% at the very most...some as low as 1%.

But the only poll that matters will be the one officially published some time next Friday.

What will happen to my UK passport should Scotland actually become independent is quite unclear as I never intend to live in the country of my birth and heritage again.....England is well good enough for me, especially this part of it.
There was one poll (Yougov I think) that showed a lead of 1% for Yes. That was the day the pound dropped.

Re passports and citizenship that was s covered in the white paper as per my earlier post.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 5:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently in Austin for a couple of days and have been surprised how often I have been asked questions about the referendum. Americans don't tend to be clued up on world politics but most people I spoke with (albeit a pretty educated group) were very well informed on the issues.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm currently in Austin for a couple of days and have been surprised how often I have been asked questions about the referendum. Americans don't tend to be clued up on world politics but most people I spoke with (albeit a pretty educated group) were very well informed on the issues.
Watched one newscast today where they were discussing the number of delegations that had been sent to Scotland from other countries to observe the referendum. There are separatists movements in each. Spain, Italy, etc......and one delegation from Texas.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
Watched one newscast today where they were discussing the number of delegations that had been sent to Scotland from other countries to observe the referendum. There are separatists movements in each. Spain, Italy, etc......and one delegation from Texas.
I would be completely unsurprised if Texas does not very seriously explore secession if Obama carries out his threat/promise to do an end run around Congress and illegally provide amnesty to up to 11 million illegals - coupled with his government's failure and refusal to secure the southern border, which directly impacts Texas in a very negative and expensive way.

It might have ended badly in 1865, but this is a different era. Now the main focus would be on negotiating how and whether Texas would have to pay its "share" of the national debt. No Union armies are going to be marching into Texas and whichever other states join it in breaking away. What's in it for the Democrats is that without Texas' electoral votes, they would probably win the Presidency for the rest of time.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
I would be completely unsurprised if Texas does not very seriously explore secession if Obama carries out his threat/promise to do an end run around Congress and illegally provide amnesty to up to 11 million illegals - coupled with his government's failure and refusal to secure the southern border, which directly impacts Texas in a very negative and expensive way.

It might have ended badly in 1865, but this is a different era. Now the main focus would be on negotiating how and whether Texas would have to pay its "share" of the national debt. No Union armies are going to be marching into Texas and whichever other states join it in breaking away. What's in it for the Democrats is that without Texas' electoral votes, they would probably win the Presidency for the rest of time.
Those Texas autocrats couldn't resist that cheap Mexican labor. And as a result, if Texas would be able to secede they would be absorbed by Mexico.

As for Scotland how could they vote "No" now with all the acrimony and water under the bridge so to speak. Is there anything for them to go back to? It appears to me their relationship to England is shot.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
Those Texas autocrats couldn't resist that cheap Mexican labor. And as a result, if Texas would be able to secede they would be absorbed by Mexico.

As for Scotland how could they vote "No" now with all the acrimony and water under the bridge so to speak. Is there anything for them to go back to? It appears to me their relationship to England is shot.
Agreed on both.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Neil cumming writes"I would be pissed off too if I knew I would be facing a lifetime of being governed by the tories and or UKIP"

maybe he should have added-

"And no oil revenue to hide my bankruptcy !"
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Neil cumming writes"I would be pissed off too if I knew I would be facing a lifetime of being governed by the tories and or UKIP"

maybe he should have added-

"And no oil revenue to hide my bankruptcy !"
Tories, maybe, but nobody in the history of ever, is ever going to be governed by UKIP

How disappointed I was, incidentally, to find out when I was back in Blighty, that UKIP is actually pronounced as a word and not as the initials 'U-K-I-P' as I thought. Fits their manifesto, I suppose, as a bunch of lowest common denominator, populist arseholes who ripped off the Poundland sign ...
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Tories, maybe, but nobody in the history of ever, is ever going to be governed by UKIP

How disappointed I was, incidentally, to find out when I was back in Blighty, that UKIP is actually pronounced as a word and not as the initials 'U-K-I-P' as I thought. Fits their manifesto, I suppose, as a bunch of lowest common denominator, populist arseholes who ripped off the Poundland sign ...
Yes, no chance.

Haven't heard a single mention of them since I got back
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes, no chance.

Haven't heard a single mention of them since I got back
Was just a snippet in the news, because while I was over, a tory defected. I heard them pronounce it as the word 'Ukip' and almost vomited.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Was just a snippet in the news, because while I was over, a tory defected. I heard them pronounce it as the word 'Ukip' and almost vomited.
Not a good combo with all that greasy food.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:57 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Not a good combo with all that greasy food.
No. Plus, I was in my sister's car at the time, so that would have resulted in a long walk home, too ...
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:59 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

vomited.
One way to keep the weight off.

Plus, you could become a model.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 4:01 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutek
One way to keep the weight off.

Plus, you could become a model.
Yes, I could model darts shirts, or snooker cues, I suppose
Old Sep 15th 2014, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think the Scots have this circular thing going on where they think the English hate them, which of course they don't at all, but they keep whingeing on until you do feel you'd rather see the back of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.