Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Sep 8th 2014, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I have spoken to alot of people in USA and Canada who want to visit Scotland but it is expensive,not just to fly there but hotels etc.If they do cut the taxes it will increase tourism no doubt.
Surely the reason they think it's expensive is because of the exchange rate.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I have spoken to alot of people in USA and Canada who want to visit Scotland but it is expensive,not just to fly there but hotels etc.If they do cut the taxes it will increase tourism no doubt.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
If there is "no doubt" about this logic, why isn't every country and state cutting airport and hotel taxes?
And why does the UK currently do so well in tourism if this is such a deterrent? Not that I agree with the current levels of APD, but really they represent a small proportion of what a typical visitor is likely to spend in the UK.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Sep 8th 2014 at 8:05 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I thought most Americans just think Edin-burrow is a just outside London, so go to see the Tower of London and fit in a day trip to Stonehenge and any other places nearby.
Alot of americans go there to trace their roots and play golf but they are middle class americans,they got the dosh.Also alot of japonese visit Scotland ,mainly for the golf.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I thought most Americans just think Edin-burrow is a just outside London, so go to see the Tower of London and fit in a day trip to Stonehenge and any other places nearby.
the ones I know do seem to do a lightning trip of the whole of the British Isles. I doubt they would just go to Scotland.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Why hasnt the UK done this?
That's exactly what I am asking you!
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
the ones I know do seem to do a lightning trip of the whole of the British Isles. I doubt they would just go to Scotland.
In that case if it were cheaper to fly into Scotland than London where do you think they are going to go first?
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Didn't Ireland try this brilliant wheeze of cutting taxes?
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
That's exactly what I am asking you!
They are not going to reduce the tax ,thats too radical and they need to pay for little things like Trident
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

And what about my British Citizenship!

And then there's the Schengen question...if Scotland wants to join the EU they'll have to agree to open borders.

Gonna be real rosy in Eck's Brigadoon.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In that case if it were cheaper to fly into Scotland than London where do you think they are going to go first?
Honestly, London. As Eccles said, they think everywhere else is just outside it.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

They are not going to reduce the tax ,thats too radical and they need to pay for little things like Trident
SNP want to get rid of nuclear.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Even if Scotland charged zero APD, it would be cheaper for me to fly to London.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hotscot
And what about my British Citizenship!

And then there's the Schengen question...if Scotland wants to join the EU they'll have to agree to open borders.

Gonna be real rosy in Eck's Brigadoon.
Yes what happens with citizenship? Sorry if it's been covered, I haven't been taking it seriously I admit.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hotscot
SNP want to get rid of nuclear.
I was talking about the UKgov

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.