Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Jul 27th 2014, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

smithy76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

My point is that some English people believe that England rules the UK. There, i said it in black and white. Fire at will. But it is true of a rather vocal some, even if it is unpleasant to hear.

A state in the usa is not synonymous with the use of the word as in meaning country or nation. Like i said, oranges and tangelos...interesting to ponder over the similarities perhaps but in the end, can't be called the same so no real conclusion from one can apply to the other.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

smithy76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234

Scotland and England were two independent states with histories going back a thousand or more years. Their parliaments freely decided in the early eighteenth century to unite and form the United Kingdom. These are facts, I don't think it's that difficult to grasp.
This made the uk but did not unmake either as adifferent country. Texas is a different story. It is not a county within a country.

I think Spain struggles with this as well, although not as peacefully internally.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Texans I know think otherwise.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 6:40 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by robin1234
First, the word "state" and the word "country" are at least partly synonymous. Second, I doubt if any English people believe Scotland, NI etc. are states within England. They are states (or countries, jurisdictions, principalities, provinces -what you will...) within the United Kingdom.

Scotland and England were two independent states with histories going back a thousand or more years. Their parliaments freely decided in the early eighteenth century to unite and form the United Kingdom. These are facts, I don't think it's that difficult to grasp.
I think you might find more than a few who consider the union a forced marriage after the failure of the Darien Scheme
Old Jul 27th 2014, 7:11 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AZ_Alba
I think you might find more than a few who consider the union a forced marriage after the failure of the Darien Scheme
Yup, there were all kinds of reasons the two countries successfully decided on a union. Darien was no doubt a contributing factor, but it alone hardly made Scotland unviable as a country. Long view, ever since the two countries were united under one monarch, many people (constitutional lawyers, MPs, landowners and peers..) had been working toward a union.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smithy76
My point is that some English people believe that England rules the UK. There, i said it in black and white. Fire at will. But it is true of a rather vocal some, even if it is unpleasant to hear.
In all my years I've never experienced, or been aware of, that sentiment.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
In all my years I've never experienced, or been aware of, that sentiment.
I've never been aware of that either. Or of the belief that Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland are all "ststes within England" (sic) as was mentioned earlier.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 10:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
I've never been aware of that either. Or of the belief that Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland are all "ststes within England" (sic) as was mentioned earlier.
I always thought that England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland were simply suburbs of Greater London. The poor kind.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smithy76

A state in the usa is not synonymous with the use of the word as in meaning country or nation. Like i said, oranges and tangelos...interesting to ponder over the similarities perhaps but in the end, can't be called the same so no real conclusion from one can apply to the other.
Most English people couldn't give a monkey's.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 12:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
If anything they complain about Scottish MPs and government ministers being the tail that wags the dog because of the disproportionate effect that the politicians from north of the border have on the British government.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 12:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:09 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Originally Posted by Pulaski
If anything they complain about Scottish MPs and government ministers being the tail that wags the dog because of the disproportionate effect that the politicians from north of the border have on the British government.
Agreed.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no great faith in opinion polls. The truth is that the only poll that matters is the one on 18 September
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:55 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I have no great faith in opinion polls. The truth is that the only poll that matters is the one on 18 September
Unless it results in a No vote.

Then the only poll that matters will be the next referendum on Scottish independence, ad nauseum until a Yes vote results.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 12:23 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Unless it results in a No vote.

Then the only poll that matters will be the next referendum on Scottish independence, ad nauseum until a Yes vote results.
That's what happened in Quebec. After a few tries though, Quebeckers seem to have accepted that they can have their cake and eat it, remaining part of Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.