Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Sep 21st 2014, 3:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by dunroving
Originally Posted by Steerpike
both = 2
count (studies, works, lives) = 3
2<>3

Keep up!
FIFY.
So you've restated the problem.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 21st 2014 at 3:15 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
So you don't think someone who both studies, works and lives in Scotland deserves a vote?
Not in her case, no I don't! She had no more interest in Scottish domestic affairs or the status of Scotland within the United Kingdom or its future well being in any way whatsoever and would not be living in Scotland so at to experience the outcome of the referendum, whichever way it went...she was here only for the duration, then she was off for good.

That Scottish bloke living in Berwick, England, denied a vote, was far more entitled to the vote than was that Lithuanian woman who had no genuine concern for Scotland or its people.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Not in her case, no I don't! She had no more interest in Scottish domestic affairs or the status of Scotland within the United Kingdom or its future well being in any way whatsoever and would not be living in Scotland so at to experience the outcome of the referendum, whichever way it went...she was here only for the duration, then she was off for good.

That Scottish bloke living in Berwick, England, denied a vote, was far more entitled to the vote than was that Lithuanian woman who had no genuine concern for Scotland or its people.
Why should someone not currently living in a particular country (and in my view this applies equally to expats like Hotscot just as much as it does to the Scotsman in Berwick scenario) be entitled in any way to a say in the future governance of that country?
Old Sep 21st 2014, 4:47 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad

Oh I see. So you want to base entitlement to vote on interest in domestic affairs. In that case surely you'd need to ban all others that statement would cover. People who were eligible to vote in previous elections but didn't. Well, they didn't have an interest did they? How about former prisoners? Tax dodgers? Well if you are paying your taxes are you interested in domestic affairs? Perhaps there needs to be some sort of minimum intelligence test, I mean, if your iq isn't high enough how can you show enough interest?

It gets into murky waters very quickly trying to deny people the right to vote.

As to the future. I'd mark both parties the same. The woman living in Scotland can have no certainty over her future and if she will remain or not. Maybe her degree will lead to a fabulous job in Edinburgh. Maybe she'll get married in her final year. Maybe she'll be hit by a bus tomorrow. The man in Betwick can have no certainty if he will return to Scotland to live in the near future.

The certains are one party resides, works and studies in Scotland. One does not.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Voting privileges could have been widened via a formula that included place of birth and/or length of residency in country.

There is no doubt that I am Scottish.

On such a momentous occasion I feel I, and other expats, should have a vote.
However that is currently an academic point.

Last edited by Hotscot; Sep 21st 2014 at 4:55 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Voting privileges could have been widened via a formula that included place of birth and/or length of residency in country.

There is no doubt that I am Scottish.

On such a momentous occasion I feel I, and other expats, should have a vote.
However that is currently an academic point.
Why do you feel that though?

Personally I've never agreed with expats having any voting privileges in the countries they've emigrated from.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Why do you feel that though?

Personally I've never agreed with expats having any voting privileges in the countries they've emigrated from.
Ok let's not argue though. It's the way I feel regardless of opinion and my opinion won't be changed.

I feel that because I was born in Scotland, my birth is registered in Scotland and I've spent most of my life in Scotland.
I've contributed a lot to Scotland and I intend doing so in the future.
I care passionately about Scotland and I am proud of my history and heritage.

This does not change because I'm currently working in the US.
American citizens overseas can vote on federal matters since they are still US citizens regardless of being currently present on US soil.

I feel a formula could have been found that could incorporate people like me and there are many.

I also happen to think the whole of the UK should have had a vote since it affected the whole of the UK but at least there's now more of a dialogue on future government structure, which I think is healthy.

That's all...
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You made me think about my friend with the Scottish husband. He has a very strong accent (I'm usually pretty good but I find him extremely hard to follow), but he's actually lived in England since he was a teenager; we all met at the age of 16. So I suppose his investment in Scotland is not great really. Difficult issue to decide on the rules for.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by neilcumming
SNP on track for third term.
SNP on track for third term | Scottish National Party
8000 new SNP memberships since day after the vote!
Well lads an lassies looks like we will be back here in 5 or 6yrs lol.
What, just keep screwing up our nation until the disruption is complete?

We still never got any real answers on how Independence would bring "prosperity" other than for Wee Eck.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Im a canadian resident .I cant vote on federal issues only in local elections,sounds about right to me.
Im here in Winnipeg staying at a mates place sleeping on the sofa until my flight tomorrow ,yep back to Mexico.My mate is moving out at end of month ,hes on the dole ,cable tv is cut off,no home telephone so no wifi ,the fridge is empty only a few no name brand items,its great I feel as thought Im back in Scotland
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by neilcumming
hes on the dole ,cable tv is cut off,no home telephone so no wifi ,the fridge is empty only a few no name brand items,its great I feel as thought Im back in Scotland
Doesn't sound like any Scotland I know..what you on about?
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

What, just keep screwing up our nation until the disruption is complete?

We still never got any real answers on how Independence would bring "prosperity" other than for Wee Eck.
Its the SNP's mandate.If they are in power they will keep trying for it.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

From the Telegraph today.

"Alex Salmond has raised the prospect of Scotland unilaterally declaring independence without another referendum as he abandoned his promise to accept the result and claimed that No voters were “tricked”."

Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

From the Telegraph today.

"Alex Salmond has raised the prospect of Scotland unilaterally declaring independence without another referendum as he abandoned his promise to accept the result and claimed that No voters were “tricked”."

http://www.geekdebate.net/wp-content...d-facepalm.jpg
Predictable.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Predictable.
So, ignore the Democratic decision of the majority?

I wonder if he'll have the SNP kitted out in uniforms.

What a prick...

(And if he keeps banging this drum just watch inward investment, including my own, dry up fast.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Sep 21st 2014 at 5:49 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.