Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Hopefully it will be no by a landslide , most Scots think the Brits hate them, but that shouldn't matter the Brits hate everyone but themselves .

Plus my UK pensions already started shrinking with the rate of exchange ..the shrinking pound will only get worse with if the yes voters win.

Last edited by Ruth16; Sep 17th 2014 at 9:33 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:45 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruth16
the Brits hate everyone but themselves .

You really do talk a load of old bollox sometimes....
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully it will be no by a landslide , most Scots think the Brits hate them, but that shouldn't matter the Brits hate everyone but themselves .
To be fair, Scots are Brits. I assume even the Yes Campaign folks would agree to that geographic fact of life.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
To be fair, Scots are Brits. I assume even the Yes Campaign folks would agree to that geographic fact of life.
I mean the English
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
You really do talk a load of old bollox sometimes....
Spoken like a wet Yorkie pud..
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
I actually wonder if I won't be as close as the polls are showing. I imagine some of the no voters are saying they are yes voters to avoid confrontation.
The opposite could also happen. Two years ago, the proponents for independence were considered the fringe but are now considered more mainstream and acceptable. Someone that is dissatisfied with the current status quo but on the fence could swing either way.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:43 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I mean the English
And that right there is one of things that tends to get right up the noses of just about every Scot I know.....
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:43 pm

Spoken like a wet Yorkie pud..
Old Sep 18th 2014, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Let me check...yes, I do believe I am a British as well as Scottish.

Who'd get that confused?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 12:43 am

I assume even the Yes Campaign folks would agree to that geographic fact of life.
Given that, geographically speaking, the Scots will still be living on an island called "Great Britain", does that mean they will still be "Brits" regardless of the outcome of the referendum...
Old Sep 18th 2014, 2:00 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Given that, geographically speaking, the Scots will still be living on an island called "Great Britain", does that mean they will still be "Brits" regardless of the outcome of the referendum...
Could rename the whole island?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 2:12 am

Could rename the whole island?
Nah, we could have far more fun winding them up for decades to come about how they are still Brits!

I was listening to a vexillologist on the radio this morning arguing that the Union Flag won't have to change because the flag was formed at the joining of the crowns, not the political union which came some time later. Hence, given that the Scots are not separating from the crown, there is no need to change the flag. Also, if anyone else had been wondering why the Saltire always looks a bit washed out when flown next to the Union Flag, apparently the official color of the Saltire was changed to a shade lighter than that of the Union Flag in 2003.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see that is a problem. There is North, South, and Central America but usually only the US is referred to as America. Also aren't people from Northern Ireland referred to as British even though they don't live in Great Britain?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 2:29 am

I may be wrong, but I suspect/assume that an independent Scot would prefer to be referred to as a Scot, rather than a Brit....
Old Sep 18th 2014, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Scot and a Brit.
I don't want these eejits to take that away from me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.