Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Aug 13th 2014, 4:55 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

They chose an odd selection of quotes/soundbites from Carney if they wanted to show that he was confirming there would be currency union post independence.....
Old Aug 13th 2014, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There does seem a total disconnect.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 5:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There does seem a total disconnect.
Some people don't seem to understand that "a total disconnect" is what they're going to get if they vote "yes".
Old Aug 13th 2014, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I support the Yes vote, go for it.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 5:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The irony is delicious, that Salmond's cause would get a greater percentage of votes if it was open to the whole of the UK electorate than it is getting confined to only registered voters in Scotland.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Dream on........it just won't be happening. Salmond's vision will be nothing more than a heap of smouldering ashes come the morning of Friday 19/09/14.

Harsh reality will have won the day. The bloke has done nothing but spin yarns throughout this campaign back home north of the border.

There is little chance of the £ Sterling being retained in an independent Scotland in spite of all of the Salmond gobbledegook bletherings, or automatic protection by the Bank of England, or the continuance of Scottish membership of the EU, and many non Scottish business concerns currently operating in Scotland will up root and up sticks and head south over the border into England.

Last edited by Lothianlad; Aug 13th 2014 at 9:20 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 9:18 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The irony is delicious, that Salmond's cause would get a greater percentage of votes if it was open to the whole of the UK electorate than it is getting confined to only registered voters in Scotland.
LOL - I think I said something similar about 30 or 40 pages back...

Gotta love the supreme arrogance of the Yes side that seem to assume that the rest of the UK wants the No vote to win.....in reality, I think a lot of the rest of the UK either a) would be quite happy to see Scotland disappear, or b) doesn't give a toss either way.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
LOL - I think I said something similar about 30 or 40 pages back...

Gotta love the supreme arrogance of the Yes side that seem to aume that the rest of the UK wants the No vote to win.....in reality, I think a lot of the rest of the UK either a) would be quite happy to see Scotland disappear, or b) doesn't give a toss either way.

I now live in a very, very English part of Southern England, far removed by UK standards of distance measurements from Scotland itself, and I have to say that there really is quite a significant number of people in this area who do rather hope that the Scots will vote YES in this Referendum.

Not so much because it might ultimately turn out to be to the Scots' ultimate advantage in whatever way - but more to just "get rid of the bug*ers once and for all" - for reasons best known to themselves. Terminology as used by a fair number of them down here in the gorgeous Cotswolds.

And as this is a very Conservative area politically, a Scottish departure from Westminster will greatly reduce the chances of a Labour government being elected down here in England - in what would remain of the "United" Kingdom - for which a new kind of title would seem to be necessary following a Scottish departure from the fold. Any ideas?
Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
remain of the "United" Kingdom - for which a new kind of title would seem to be necessary following a Scottish departure from the fold. Any ideas?
Poundland?
Or is that already taken....
Old Aug 14th 2014, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

I now live in a very, very English part of Southern England, far removed by UK standards of distance measurements from Scotland itself, and I have to say that there really is quite a significant number of people in this area who do rather hope that the Scots will vote YES in this Referendum.

Not so much because it might ultimately turn out to be to the Scots' ultimate advantage in whatever way - but more to just "get rid of the bug*ers once and for all" - for reasons best known to themselves. Terminology as used by a fair number of them down here in the gorgeous Cotswolds.

And as this is a very Conservative area politically, a Scottish departure from Westminster will greatly reduce the chances of a Labour government being elected down here in England - in what would remain of the "United" Kingdom - for which a new kind of title would seem to be necessary following a Scottish departure from the fold. Any ideas?
I lived in England for 11yrs and I know what alot people there think of the scots and its not what Cameron would have you believe that we are all one happy family ,far from it.
If it were the other way around and England was voting YES for independence ,I think we Scots and the rUK,Wales and NI would be more than happy to share our pound sterling and the Bank of England
Old Aug 14th 2014, 7:30 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Little Britain.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:08 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Little Britain.
Just for local people then.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 1:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Poundland?
Or is that already taken....
UKIP have that actually.

Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:01 pm

I was thinking more...this
Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:05 pm

I was thinking more...this
How were we supposed to link your reference to "Poundland" to a business called, er, "Poundland"? You are obviously operating on a different intellectual level to the rest of us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.