Schools in the USA

Old Jun 7th 2014, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Mandad3s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools in the USA

Hello!
We are thinking of moving to the US from the UK. My husband has a US passport. I have a view (probably totally wrong and a bit racist) that American schools are horribly competitive, (as opposed to being gently encouraging) with clothes and looks being ultra important - and that if you are at all "different" you will be mercilessly bullied. I've probably just seen to much tv....

Please let me know how you think schools "over there" compare to UK ones.
Thanks
Old Jun 7th 2014, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in the USA

It's a big country...anywhere specific in mind?

(I don't see your connection between racism and competitiveness though. How odd.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Jun 7th 2014 at 5:54 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi Hotscot, I had meant that I was a bit racist for making assumptions of an entire nation.

We are thinking perhaps Florida, Seattle or California. But I was assuming the culture was similar all over...
Old Jun 7th 2014, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

No problem
However school districts are different all over. So if you had any specific towns or areas in mind...

Have a look here

http://www.city-data.com/

There's a menu at the top for schools.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 6:16 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The general diversity of some schools means that being a bit different is quite normal. USA is a huge country so there will be hundreds of answers, but I have found lots of my preconceptions to have been destroyed.

There are long lines of never ending lockers though, that is true.

In my experience it is all about gentle encouragement, coaxing reluctant students to stay (or become) involved, and giving students respect.

I know Seattle and neighbouring Highline school districts.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both for your answers, I was hoping that I was massively generalising and it seems as if I was! I will research further...
Old Jun 7th 2014, 6:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any children? Your post implies you do, but that is not clear, and if you don't what is your interest?

FWIW The generally reported "problem" you will face if you have teenage boys with a British accent is that they will likely be too popular, at least with half their classmates
Old Jun 7th 2014, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"at least with half their classmates "

At least...
Old Jun 7th 2014, 7:44 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Our dude has been in school now 4th through 9th grade and I can't say competitiveness has been an issue. His teachers have always been encouraging and helpful. A bit too molly-coddled in the beginning for his liking, walking the kids to recess, seeing them out to mums car etc.

We have had a vague dress code until 9th grade - jeans/khakis with self coloured polo. This year is the first year they have been allowed to express themselves and I swear you are just as likely to see a kid coming out of high school in business casual as full blown duck dynasty camo. The girls are just as diverse, jeans and t or skirst and top. According the my dude, who seems to dress like a bampot, in jeans, t, oversized basketball shoes, beanie and beats winter and summer long no-one cares.

He has never had a problem with bullying, the occasional silly question when he was younger, but not so much as a nickname and he's a ginger Scot! Of course he is now 6'3" and built like the proverbial brick s***house so they'd have to be daft.

I would imagine private schools may be a bit more elitist but then they all wear uniforms don't they?
Old Jun 7th 2014, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Ours is very competitive on looks/clothing. The schools do seem to have the strong cliques a bit like 'Napoleon Dynamite' eg popular, jocks, nerds.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi Pulaski, yes we have two children, girl 9 and boy 12 years. We have just been discussing (over a barbecue) how it was much more fashionable when we were kids (we are all in our 40s) to tease - bully - kids than it is today. Perhaps the world is generally a kinder place now. I hope so...
Old Jun 7th 2014, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sally and ChololateBabz for your replies too. My son is big for his age 5ft 7 and a size 9 shoe! He has always been larger than his classmates but it didn't stop him getting bullied. He is very kind and soft natured but has learnt how to hide this side now... Don't perceive any issues with my daughter though - as she is as much of a "fishwife" as her mum! (I'm the mum by the way..)
Old Jun 7th 2014, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Ours is very competitive on looks/clothing. The schools do seem to have the strong cliques a bit like 'Napoleon Dynamite' eg popular, jocks, nerds.
Sweeet...
Old Jun 7th 2014, 8:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandad3s
.... we have .... [a] boy 12 years. .....
The fun starts here.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandad3s

We are thinking perhaps Florida, Seattle or California. But I was assuming the culture was similar all over...
Schools aside a few observations. Florida, Seattle and California are three very different cultures. Florida and California are States the later being very big and will vary considerably. Can you be more specific?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.