Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

San Diego question - apartment development

San Diego question - apartment development

Old Oct 28th 2019, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default San Diego question - apartment development

I was in San Diego (County) this weekend and was driving down some random road when I saw what I can only describe as a MASSIVE apartment complex being developed. I'm talking, multiple structures, each with a large number of floors and very wide. I can only guess that this represents thousands of new units. Can anyone who lives in San Diego tell me the name of this development? I'd like to read more about it. Right after I saw this, I pulled over for gas and saw 'the Hazard Center' - a fairly large shopping area. I believe I was in an area named "Mission Valley" I think. Looking at Google Maps / Streetview, it would appear to have been 'Friars Road'.

I'm curious how such a large contiguous area of land could be acquired for this purpose in what appears to be an already well-developed area. I'm also curious to read more about the financial side of this - this looks to be a massive investment.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Diego question - apartment development

I think it's this

https://www.civitalife.com/

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...417-story.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civita,_San_Diego

Rock quarry previously.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! Wow - 230 acres, 4,780 housing units! That's pretty big. $2 Billion project. I'll read more about it.

In your experience, have you seen other projects of this scale? You are near Vancouver, are you not ... I seem to recall seeing a long, long row of identical mid-tower blocks that have the appearance of a 'planned community'.

Last edited by Steerpike; Oct 28th 2019 at 8:16 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

4,780 Housing Units..... the area is already choked at rush hour and I don't see any plans to improve either the I-15 or I-8 freeways which flow around this area.

It will be another area to avoid when travelling around S.D.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Thanks! Wow - 230 acres, 4,780 housing units! That's pretty big. $2 Billion project. I'll read more about it.

In your experience, have you seen other projects of this scale? You are near Vancouver, are you not ... I seem to recall seeing a long, long row of identical mid-tower blocks that have the appearance of a 'planned community'.
River District in Vancouver is called a master planned community, I don't get to that far end of the city much so can't really say for sure.

There is a ton of development in Vancouver, mostly condos though, we are the opposite of Seattle where there rents have stabilized and even gone down due to the rental housing building boom they have had over the last few years, where in Vancouver its all about condo's with limited rental stock being added. So we have high rents, low vacancy with no end in sight.

Biggest issue with the one in San Diego is that area is already congested, and adding that many people to an already congested area will likely make it worse, people in San Diego even if the live close to the trolley will prefer to take their cars. If only San Diego would invest into transit like metro Vancouver has, our sky train can run as frequently as like every 2 minutes, and buses on the major routes are so frequent you don't need to know the schedule, just go to the stop.

City of Vancouver is more dense vs City of San Diego, which certainly helps with transit efficiency.

Old Oct 29th 2019, 2:27 am
Account Closed

I wanted to add they tend to build up here now, the suburbs in the future will end up with higher buildings than downtown Vancouver will. The suburbs seem to be the future.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/9898...le-development

Originally Posted by Steerpike