Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Sadness when coming backfrom UK to USA

Sadness when coming backfrom UK to USA

Old Jun 15th 2014, 11:56 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sadness when coming backfrom UK to USA

Originally Posted by Jensmate
I expect I should have prefaced my post by saying that I've lived in the USA for 37 years. In the early years we were all so young and had much to look forward to. Trips home brought new marriages, new babies etc. Now we are all older, becoming infirm and so many family members are passing away it is such a wrench to say goodbye with the strong realization that it might be the last time we ever see each other. The sadness comes from a stark realization that we will never all be as we once were. Anyone out there who has spent this much time as an expat?
Just over 30 years here myself with a short stint in Canada prior. If that is the part that gets to you I do understand it. Both my parents, my in-laws (MIL this year in fact) and many aunts, uncles , a few cousins and friends has passed on from either ill health, age related, or unexpected events. If anything, you appreciate life is fragile and finite and our time shared together is limited. Sometimes a scary mix and that may also have a dose of reflecting on your own mortality. Once we felt we had eternity and suddenly as age creeps up, we don't. Perhaps you have some unfinished business you need to address. Write a journal of your thoughts but do not read it for a good couple of weeks until you feel better, and then go through it. You may be surprised to see a certain issue/concern that keeps popping up that you have not fully acknowledged yet.

If all else fails, have a gin and tonic. I am right now. Bottoms up!
Old Jun 16th 2014, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

To echo a couple of other posters. There is nothing wrong in going to a therapist. Sometimes just having an uninvolved third party to listen to what you have to say can be a useful unburdening process (strangers on the Internet are not a safe venue Imho).
Old Jun 16th 2014, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back to CA last night after a 5 day business/personal trip to London and Aberdeen respectively. Very happy to be home (to the US), nice to see people in the UK but zero "home"sickness.

On the contrary I always have these thoughts of a "Revolution" style disaster that would prevent me leaving.....
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

AnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond repute

Once again, on coming back from a 17 day visit to family and friends in England I'm struck with a sadness that incapacitates me for days. Have been tearful, wanting to sleep all the time and have had to call off work for 2 days in a row. All I can think about is how much I miss it all.
Does anyone else suffer so badly when they've visited home? How do you cope?
I can definitely relate. I haven't been home yet, and I still call England my home, since we moved here but I am dying to go back and see my family and friends. My sister came and visited me in march and after she left I was a wreck. I could not stop crying and I felt really depressed. It took me maybe a month to be back to normal somewhat. I find it very hard being away from my family and to think that I am always going to feel that is very difficult. I really feel your pain. I cope by face timing and I use what's app a lot so I can message my sister often, it also helped that I went back to work straight away and that kept me busy. I think that once I get to go home I will feel the same way you do when I have to leave. I am not sure some days if I can cope with the constant sadness I feel but my husband is so much happier here and I feel torn. I don't want to take that away from him.

I hope you start to feel more normal soon. Make sure you keep busy that will help.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnnieBelle
I can definitely relate. I haven't been home yet, and I still call England my home, since we moved here but I am dying to go back and see my family and friends. My sister came and visited me in march and after she left I was a wreck. I could not stop crying and I felt really depressed. It took me maybe a month to be back to normal somewhat. I find it very hard being away from my family and to think that I am always going to feel that is very difficult. I really feel your pain. I cope by face timing and I use what's app a lot so I can message my sister often, it also helped that I went back to work straight away and that kept me busy. I think that once I get to go home I will feel the same way you do when I have to leave. I am not sure some days if I can cope with the constant sadness I feel but my husband is so much happier here and I feel torn. I don't want to take that away from him.
I hope you start to feel more normal soon. Make sure you keep busy that will help.
I really believe that men seem to settle better in the US than women do. My ex-husband (husband when we moved here 24 years ago) loves it here. Me - I can take it or leave it - only really stayed here because I have adult children and grand-children here. Most men are more career-minded while most women are family oriented. I know many people will probably say it's a sexist comment - but it isn't meant to be. I miss my family although both my parents are gone now, but I have siblings back in the UK. The US will never be my home.

To the original poster - I think you could well be suffering from depression and it might be a good idea to see a medical professional. That said - it is normal to feel sad with the aging process and look back on how things were in the past, etc. I find myself doing that a lot (I'm 61) but I have to pull myself out of it and make the best of things here and try to look forward. It isn't always easy though.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I really believe that men seem to settle better in the US than women do. My ex-husband (husband when we moved here 24 years ago) loves it here. Me - I can take it or leave it - only really stayed here because I have adult children and grand-children here. Most men are more career-minded while most women are family oriented. I know many people will probably say it's a sexist comment - but it isn't meant to be. I miss my family although both my parents are gone now, but I have siblings back in the UK. The US will never be my home.
Yes, I was going to say something similar.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions. x
Old Jun 16th 2014, 3:03 am
Just Joined

Moonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond reputeMoonbeamzz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mamasue, my wife and I are Australians and we are looking to do the same thing (winter in S E Asia, Malaysia to be precise). We are heading off next week to spend a month just bumming around in Kuching and Melaka which are both Malaysian cities. Which part do you go to and how do you go about getting short term accommodation, most agents in Malaysia want longer than a few weeks for apartment stays.
Cheers
Moonbeamzz
Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moonbeamzz
Hi Mamasue, my wife and I are Australians and we are looking to do the same thing (winter in S E Asia, Malaysia to be precise). We are heading off next week to spend a month just bumming around in Kuching and Melaka which are both Malaysian cities. Which part do you go to and how do you go about getting short term accommodation, most agents in Malaysia want longer than a few weeks for apartment stays.
Cheers
Moonbeamzz
We usually fly to Bangkok ..stay a couple of weeks, then go off to either Malaysia, Vietnam, Laos, tried Hong Kong last time and hated it....stay for a week or 2 in each place.....always in hotels....We do a week in cities and a week on a beach if we can....
We always end with 4-5 weeks in Cambodia, back to Bangkok for a few days shopping before we fly back.
We do at least 3-4 countries for each trip. We're currently planning this year... and want to go to Bali too, and maybe hop over to Australia for a week or so.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 4:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I'm about to head over to the UK next week. This time I am more worried that I won't miss the UK when I get back here.

I know that's really supposed to be a good thing but I can't help feeling like I will feel bad about it, if it happens.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling so much better about being here now. I do believe that as I age, I have more trouble getting over the trips. Perhaps it is a side effect of jet lag? I slept on and off for 2 days, feel VERY rested and raring to go again. Depression/jet lag - whatever it was it has vanished.
Thank God!
Old Jun 16th 2014, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'm about to head over to the UK next week. This time I am more worried that I won't miss the UK when I get back here.

I know that's really supposed to be a good thing but I can't help feeling like I will feel bad about it, if it happens.
Surely that's better? As long as you don't turn into one of those who has to trash your home country at every opportunity.
Feeling so much better about being here now. I do believe that as I age, I have more trouble getting over the trips. Perhaps it is a side effect of jet lag? I slept on and off for 2 days, feel VERY rested and raring to go again. Depression/jet lag - whatever it was it has vanished.
Thank God!
Great!
Old Jun 16th 2014, 5:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Surely that's better? As long as you don't turn into one of those who has to trash your home country at every opportunity.
It is better but I'll still feel bad about it
Old Jun 16th 2014, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Thank God!
That's good to hear - and hope it's really the case.
You can see - people here were quite concerned.

I'd imagine getting back into your customary, structured USA routine (including returning to work etc.) was key in overcoming your depression.

What happened to you might serve as a reminder next time you go back - as to what to possibly anticipate when you return here. And knowing a couple of nights of sleep will set you straight - should be a reassurance.

Glad you're back to your normal "normal"
Old Jun 16th 2014, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Live for the moment wherever you may be........and enjoy. I haven't moved all that far from home - from Scotland to England .....and never realised my earlier "dreams" of moving across the Atlantic, but no matter now.....I'm more than happy where I am and who I'm with and doing exactly what we (my civil partner and I) are doing with our productive lives in a lovely part of England.

Life itself is temporary so why waste time being sad or miserable as we don't know his long or how short that "temporary" will be. Easy to say but make the most of it wherever you are.

I love going back home up to Edinburgh (have you ever met anyone who doesn't like Edinburgh for whatever reason? No, neither have I......but I have no intention of moving back there or to Scotland itself...and it the worst comes to the worse next September I may well apply for English nationality.

England itself is changing in many ways - but I don't think I could ever fancy any of the foodstuffs in the many Polish Food Stores here in England, and I did resent being stopped in the street in St John's Wood, London, and asked whether or not I spoke English.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.