Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The Royal Famil re-invent themselves yet again - bastards !

The Royal Famil re-invent themselves yet again - bastards !

Old May 1st 2011, 9:22 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Royal Famil re-invent themselves yet again - bastards !

Originally Posted by Englishman43
I love the royal family. They ROCK !!!
And I think they're a bit shit. I say this not to be argumentative, only to maintain a sense of balance. Maybe shit's a bit harsh - maybe just dull and irrelevant.
Old May 1st 2011, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tonrob
And I think they're a bit shit. I say this not to be argumentative, only to maintain a sense of balance. Maybe shit's a bit harsh - maybe just dull and irrelevant.
That's the beauty of the forum isn't it - getting a wide range of opinions.

Last edited by Englishman43; May 1st 2011 at 9:55 pm.
Old May 1st 2011, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
As you have now chosen to live in a completely foreign country with absolutely no Constitutional links to the United Kingdom and the British Commonwealth of Nations whatsoever the British Monarchy may well be regarded as "irrelevant" as far as you are concerned, and that applies to others besides yourself who have followed the same route. You could well be regarded as "foreigners" now yourselves as far as we are concerned over here. You are now "pseudo" Americans unless of course you have taken up full US citizenship in which case the British Royal Family is even more "irrelevant".

By the same token your opinion of the British Monarch and the British Royal Family and the British Monarchy as stated by yourself is something you are perfectly entitled to hold - a fair number of British people themselves over here express the same views, people who still live in this Kingdom and they are free to do so also. But their opinions have more validity than do yours simply because they live here. You no longer do.
Old May 1st 2011, 10:17 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
As you have now chosen to live in a completely foreign country with absolutely no Constitutional links to the United Kingdom and the British Commonwealth of Nations whatsoever the British Monarchy may well be regarded as "irrelevant" as far as you are concerned, and that applies to others besides yourself who have followed the same route. You could well be regarded as "foreigners" now yourselves as far as we are concerned over here. You are now "pseudo" Americans unless of course you have taken up full US citizenship in which case the British Royal Family is even more "irrelevant".

By the same token your opinion of the British Monarch and the British Royal Family and the British Monarchy as stated by yourself is something you are perfectly entitled to hold - a fair number of British people themselves over here express the same views, people who still live in this Kingdom and they are free to do so also. But their opinions have more validity than do yours simply because they live here. You no longer do.
Dear Lothianlad,

Although the Sprouterator is more than capable of speaking up, and also I do not have a dog in this fight as an American, there is one little quid pro quo that is missing- if you are saying Brits who live abroad do not have valid opinions, then those who do so and support the concept of maintaining a royal family in the UK would therefore have no validity in their response either......

PS You do not lose your UK citizenship just because you live abroad.........
Old May 2nd 2011, 2:14 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

While the royal family might be dull and irrelevant, they could never hold a candle to the pointlessness of your own contributions to this forum.

Last edited by tonrob; May 2nd 2011 at 2:16 am.
Old May 2nd 2011, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help myself. You do not live in the USA. You don't seem to want to live in the USA. Why then do you post in the USA Expat forum?
I am a Scot who now lives in the US and myself, along with every other British Expat who posts on this forum, have EVERY right to make comments about the UK. You in turn can comment about whatever you like also. What I don't understand is WHY you chose to post here.
Old May 2nd 2011, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I can deny it........ People still go to Versailles even without the French royalty......
Agreed but how many more people would go if they still had the royalty? Would people still come to London without the royalty? Of course they would. Do more people come because of the royal family? I honestly think so.

Originally Posted by Manc
Why should your family in Durham, and my family in Altrincham pay taxes towards the upkeep of Londons tourist trade? What's in it for them?
Surely our families benefit from the money that goes into the 'general pot' from the tourism.
Old May 3rd 2011, 8:15 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

As you have now chosen to live in a completely foreign country with absolutely no Constitutional links to.........You could well be regarded as "foreigners" now yourselves as far as we are concerned over here. You are now "pseudo" Americans unless of course you have taken up full US citizenship in which case the British Royal Family is even more "irrelevant".By the same token............But their opinions have more validity than do yours simply because they live here. You no longer do.
Although its strangely comforting for this expat to observe that lovely British tendency to load up an argument with snobbery, the fact remains that you are still a Scot.

Oh, and....

Emulating the English won't actually make you lot civilised, but it'd be nice if you keep trying as it is amusing to watch.
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:14 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Surely our families benefit from the money that goes into the 'general pot' from the tourism.
maybe in a roundabout way that a tourist spending a quid on the tube tyo pay a train driver to pay his taxes to pay for a dinner lady at a school in Doncaster......

but tourists come anyways.

People still go to Versailles.........

and as Sally said, I don't want some long gone bastion of yesteryear in pomp and ceremony just to look good to John Doe from Tokyo.
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Although its strangely comforting for this expat to observe that lovely British tendency to load up an argument with snobbery, the fact remains that you are still a Scot.
Emulating the English won't actually make you lot civilised, but it'd be nice if you keep trying as it is amusing to watch.
The last thing I would ever do and even then I wouldn't is to emulate the English much as I love all my English friends from uni. Snobbery has never been on my agenda and it's certainly not on the agenda of those English mates.

Snobbery in England (and it was always England) is part of the past anyway - English snobs are an extinct breed in the UK now - even the Royal Family (except, perhaps, that stroppy bovine Princess Anne if that lip reading episode in the Abbey was really proven) has now accepted into its ranks a lassie from the lower end of the social order with relatives with dodgy histories and with tattoos and beer guts to go with it, not that any Royals themselves have not acquired dodgy credentials themselves in the past.

No way can anyone be described as "snobbish" just because they support the continuance of the Monarchy here in the UK and of the present Constitution and all it entails.

Who in their right mind would wish to live the sort of lives the Royals live anyway, with all its restrictions and constraints in spite of their assumed wealth and opulent lifestyles - some are actually more strapped for the readies than you could imagine - and I am certain that William (who is only 75 days younger than I am) and Kate are now set to bring about a whole lot of welcome changes in the whole Royal Household and the way it is run and eventually perceived.

Even the Queen goes about switching off unnecessary lights and hates to see any food going to waste - no bad thing when you consider the fact that the average British household was recently reported as wasting an average of £775 worth of perfectly edible food over the course of a year. Who the hell wastes time producing all these pointless statistics anyway?
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

The last thing I would ever do and even then I wouldn't is to emulate the English much as I love all my English friends from uni. Snobbery has never been on my agenda and it's certainly not on the agenda of those English mates.

Snobbery in England (and it was always England) is part of the past anyway - English snobs are an extinct breed in the UK now - even the Royal Family (except, perhaps, that stroppy bovine Princess Anne if that lip reading episode in the Abbey was really proven) has now accepted into its ranks a lassie from the lower end of the social order with relatives with dodgy histories and with tattoos and beer guts to go with it, not that any Royals themselves have not acquired dodgy credentials themselves in the past.

No way can anyone be described as "snobbish" just because they support the continuance of the Monarchy here in the UK and of the present Constitution and all it entails.

Who in their right mind would wish to live the sort of lives the Royals live anyway, with all its restrictions and constraints in spite of their assumed wealth and opulent lifestyles - some are actually more strapped for the readies than you could imagine - and I am certain that William (who is only 75 days younger than I am) and Kate are now set to bring about a whole lot of welcome changes in the whole Royal Household and the way it is run and eventually perceived.

Even the Queen goes about switching off unnecessary lights and hates to see any food going to waste - no bad thing when you consider the fact that the average British household was recently reported as wasting an average of £775 worth of perfectly edible food over the course of a year. Who the hell wastes time producing all these pointless statistics anyway?
What'd she say ??
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SarahG
I can't help myself. You do not live in the USA. You don't seem to want to live in the USA. Why then do you post in the USA Expat forum?
I am a Scot who now lives in the US and myself, along with every other British Expat who posts on this forum, have EVERY right to make comments about the UK. You in turn can comment about whatever you like also. What I don't understand is WHY you chose to post here.
I thought I'd explained why in another post. In a nutshell - I had planned to attempt living a life in another country on a (longish) temporary basis - with a clear decision to return to the UK at some time in the future - that would be an absolute guarantee I would make to myself. I honestly think I would run the risk of dying from inoperable homesickness if I knew that I could never return "home" to Scotland or the UK - not too bothered which.

It would have to be outside of Europe (too familiar and too similar in many ways) and English speaking and not too far away making short term holidays breaks back to the UK more difficult and expensive - ruling out Oz and NZ.

That just left North America - Canada or the USA - far enough away without being too far, and visiting this forum on a regular basis got me thinking that of the two the USA seemed a better bet as so many people in the Canada forum appear to find it boring or too cold and with little in the way of excitement, or whatever.

Then my personal circumstances here changed - a great job which I love, a new contract, and, very significantly, a new relationship with someone in the same position but who who resolutely did not want to live outside the UK, and especially away from Edinburgh or Scotland itself.

So that's it. Maybe I no longer have any need to log into this Forum or this section of it any more as there is no point in it unless, perhaps, I can offer some hopefully useful information about current life and conditions in the UK (the good and the not so good, there's plenty of both on offer right now) to any Expats requiring it for purposes connected with their planned return "home".
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishman43
What'd she say ??
As Kate was being escorted down the aisle by her father on the way to William waiting for her at the altar the camera briefly focussed on a close-up of Princess Anne as she directed a comment to her husband Tim alongside. Lip reading experts all agreed that her exact words were "Rags to riches".
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough

Only Britain, and I mean only Britain of all countries in the entire world, can put on such a display of dignified pomp and pageantry such as today's event in London, and in such style, with perfect timing down to the split second, as usual. Everything, but everything, went exactly to plan, as expected.

William and Catherine, our new young Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and our future King William V and his truly lovely Queen Catherine, will be a complete breath of fresh air running right through the entire House of Windsor, and will boost yet further the firm belief that the British Monarchy will survive against any odds, no matter what.

Never before has any future British monarch, second in line to the British throne, accompanied by his brand new wife of a few hours, drive himself out through the gates of Buckingham Palace in his open top car, festooned by balloons and a huge "Just Married" sign attached to the back, and at the sanme time smiling at the cheering crowds on the Mall on the short journey to Clarence House.

These two yung members of the Royal Family will dispense with boring stuffiness and snobbishness yet still remain dignified. Will really is one of the lads, and Kate is well loved and well regarded by all the people who know her in her home village of Bucklebury, near Newbury in Berkshire....and practically everybody there speaks very highly of her.

They are precisely what the Royal Establishment needs, badly. This will not be another Charles and Diana situation at all - thankfully - there are absolutely no similarities there at all.

Once the honeymoon is over the two of them just want to live quietly at their residence in Anglesey where Will is based at RAF Valley, but will undertake royal engagements as and when required.

It's inconceivable that this country, the UK, can possibly be anything but a Monarchy. The words The Republic of Britain not only look and sound alien but the mere concept itself is totally alien, too. It just isn't going to happen, now or in the forseeable future. The new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are now our hope for the future in this Kingdom, where the Monarch is very much a stabilising fasctor in a country of political and civil stablility. Our Head of State is incorruptible and is above politics and political skulduggery.

As for Republicanism - the British version is very different kettle of fish than the American - over there it is very much right wing politically. Here in the UK, republicans (small R) are very much to the left, politically. In another thared I called them "lunatics". In effect, that is just what our republicans are, all said and done. I make no apology for that.

Long live the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge - long live the future King William V and the future Queen Catherine, and their future heirs. Long like the United Kingdom

My sentiments exactly!!! Very well put xxxx
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

As Kate was being escorted down the aisle by her father on the way to William waiting for her at the altar the camera briefly focussed on a close-up of Princess Anne as she directed a comment to her husband Tim alongside. Lip reading experts all agreed that her exact words were "Rags to riches".
Bang out of order that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.