British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Roger Moore has passed , aged 89 . (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/roger-moore-has-passed-aged-89-a-897143/)

Boomhauer May 23rd 2017 11:04 pm

Roger Moore has passed , aged 89 .

He was/is my favourite Bond, but I like Dalton also . Dalton though only starred in 2 Bond movies so Moore just had a lot more movies to ingratiate himself with fans.

Asg123 May 24th 2017 1:12 am

Re: Roger Moore has passed , aged 89 .

He was very good as the Saint, but he was a bit too soft for Bond I thought, my favorite was Sean Connery.

scrubbedexpat099 May 24th 2017 12:45 pm

Another vote for Sean, I also liked the Saint, had the Corgi Car.

ian-mstm May 24th 2017 2:17 pm

For me, Moore's best film of the series was The Spy Who Loved Me! I didn't like Dalton at all although his films were okay.

Ian

moneypenny20 May 24th 2017 2:34 pm

I thought Moore was awful as Bond. Not as awful as Lazemby obviously but not far off. He was great in The Saint and with Tony Curtis in The Persuaders. Loved that series. Craig, Connery and Brosnan are my favourite Bonds. And I should know ;)

dc koop May 24th 2017 3:28 pm

Moore was kind of soft as Bond. The character created by Fleming was a man who lived hard, had no qualms about carrying out executions of dangerous enemies and others who were threats to Britain and was sanctioned by the government to do so.

Moore just didn't fit that image IMO

Rete May 24th 2017 3:37 pm

My vote goes for Sean Connery as well. Didn't really care for Roger Moore's interpretation of James Bond.

becks_r May 24th 2017 4:24 pm

I liked Sean Connery a lot, but I have also enjoyed the upgrade with Daniel Craig. But as I hadn't read the books when Roger Moore was Bond, I didn't really know what the Bond character was supposed to be like.

What I did like about the Roger Moore Bond, now I have seen them as an adult, he was obviously having loads of fun doing those films. Always nice to someone enjoying their work.

I even enjoyed David Niven doing Bond, but then I can watch any David Niven film!

Boomhauer May 24th 2017 7:35 pm

The Spy who love me , was the 1st Bond I saw. Moore's Bond movies were the ones I first saw ; whether that is the reason I like him most I don't know. I did prefer his jovial Bond over Connery's more hardnosed Bond.

scrubbedexpat099 May 24th 2017 11:39 pm

I think Goldfinger was my first one, perhaps the impact has been lost with time but it was so different to the normal fare made such an impression at the time.

Anian May 25th 2017 6:17 pm

Man dies. Everyone talks about how another actor played one of his roles better. :)

scrubbedexpat099 May 25th 2017 7:57 pm

Not better, different.

Saint was mentioned.

markonline1 May 26th 2017 1:26 am

All those that say Roger Moore wasn't a good Bond, are of course WRONG!

scrubbedexpat097 May 26th 2017 1:38 am

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12260691)
All those that say Roger Moore wasn't a good Bond, are of course WRONG!

I think he knew he couldn't follow the same Bond personna as Sean Connery so he came up with a different potrayal. Connery was a hard act to follow, so he did it his way.

Other than George Lazenby, all the Bond actors have been good in their own different ways.
But there is no real argument about who really is Bond.

Sean Connery was king and when he abdicated the title of Bond moved on down to the heir...Daniel Craig:flirtyeyes:

And I am an expert. I am married to M;)

Nutmegger May 26th 2017 2:29 am

Indeed, only Connery and Craig portray the character created by Ian Fleming. The others may have given enjoyable performances, but they were not Fleming's Bond.