Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

rock and a hard place- green card renewal on thursday. passport will expire in 4

Wikiposts

rock and a hard place- green card renewal on thursday. passport will expire in 4

Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:36 am
Just Joined

campas12 is just really nicecampas12 is just really nicecampas12 is just really nicecampas12 is just really nicecampas12 is just really nicecampas12 is just really nicecampas12 is just really nicecampas12 is just really nice
Default rock and a hard place- green card renewal on thursday. passport will expire in 4

months!

so. i've applied to renew my GC- biometrics appt this thursday. from what i've read, i can also have a stamp in my passport as a temporary 'proof of greencard' after i hand in my about to expire one.

i've heard this is valid for one year.

here's the problem. my british passport is set to expire in june- the gc probably won't get back to me for another 6-12months.

so...what can i do? does the british passport service return my old psasport after giving me the new one? is there a way for the us to give me other proof of residency!?
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rock and a hard place- green card renewal on thursday. passport will expire in 4

Why is it in the renewal process? Did you have to file I-751 because you had conditional status or are you an LPR renewing a 10 year card? If your an LPR renewing the 10 year card, the bio appointments means for you that the card will be manufactered quickly and you should get it within one to 2 months after the appointment. It is very rare for the I-551 stamp to be given out these days. I also don't believe it is given out at the ASC office.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:23 am
Just Joined

campas12 is just really nicecampas12 is just really nicecampas12 is just really nicecampas12 is just really nicecampas12 is just really nicecampas12 is just really nicecampas12 is just really nicecampas12 is just really nice
Default Re: rock and a hard place- green card renewal on thursday. passport will expire in 4

Originally Posted by Rete
Why is it in the renewal process? Did you have to file I-751 because you had conditional status or are you an LPR renewing a 10 year card? If your an LPR renewing the 10 year card, the bio appointments means for you that the card will be manufactered quickly and you should get it within one to 2 months after the appointment. It is very rare for the I-551 stamp to be given out these days. I also don't believe it is given out at the ASC office.

renewal of my 10 yr card- i was told on the phone that i would get something to show my status while i'm waiting for my real card to be processed.

i'm travelling in 2 weeks so i'd def. need temporary proof!!!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

When you apply for a new British passport they send the old one back with the new one. The old one has the bottom right hand corner chopped off to indicate it is no longer valid.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
When you apply for a new British passport they send the old one back with the new one. The old one has the bottom right hand corner chopped off to indicate it is no longer valid.

sweet. i assume i can use the old one with the stamp to prove my 'legality' here? or will they say i need to get a NEW stamp?
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:52 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campas12
renewal of my 10 yr card- i was told on the phone that i would get something to show my status while i'm waiting for my real card to be processed.

i'm travelling in 2 weeks so i'd def. need temporary proof!!!
For the upcoming travel, you will def. want an I-551 stamp in your passport. You may want to take proof of your GC renewal filing and proof of your upcoming travel to ensure you get it.
You may need to make an InfoPass appointment at your District Office to get this stamp; biometrics are not always done at a DO.

Bonus Extra:
There is an article about US Naturalization in the Wiki (blue links at the top of the page).
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not have a stamp in my passport, my office does not stamp.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I do not have a stamp in my passport, my office does not stamp.
Are you missing your Green Card and about to travel in two weeks?
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about stamps, we have a sticker for our L visas. My husband's passport expires before his visa does, we were told by immigration that we can just carry the old passport with the sticker in as proof of status.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Are you missing your Green Card and about to travel in two weeks?
I used my receipt, good for 12 months.

Certainly got the receipt well before the biometrics.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
I used my receipt, good for 12 months.

Certainly got the receipt well before the biometrics.
Isn't your receipt for an entirely different process?
Old Feb 15th 2008, 2:38 am
Just Joined

ok. so here's what happens:

took about 1.5hrs of sitting there (not bad considering DMV visits are worse!!)- they took my fingerprints/picture, then put a stick on the back of my current green card.

my GC expires march 28th, they put a sticker on the back saying the GC is good til may 2008. i assume the new one will arrive way before then!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 2:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campas12
... they took my fingerprints/picture, then put a stick on the back of my current green card.
I've never heard of them using a sticker, but it sounds as though you're all set.

i assume the new one will arrive way before then!
It might... but I wouldn't bet on it.

Ian
Old Feb 15th 2008, 2:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I've never heard of them using a sticker, but it sounds as though you're all set.

It might... but I wouldn't bet on it.

Ian

well, i'm sure the process changes as time goes on- figured i'd post the latest and greatest=-)

the sticker goes on teh back- it covers the majority of the holographic type thing they have on the back and is simply a stick with the month/date punched out.

but yes. set until june when i have to renew my english passport!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Me either.. Isn't it weird that we never heard of them before? But you know what? I saw one like that about a month ago! A friend of a friend has renewed his GC and because Spanish is his first language, he was worried he'd missed something in the letter etc.

He had his I-90, his biometrics letter (which had been marked for his attendance) and this sticker on the back of the GC. It clearly shows a new expiration date. It actually looks like what we get for our driver's licenses here.
It was the sticker language he was worried about.

Something new every day, eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.