British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Roadkill Guilt (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/roadkill-guilt-924059/)

macliam Apr 11th 2019 9:48 pm

Re: Roadkill Guilt

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12669348)
A former colleague hit a deer on the autobahn, IIRC said he was doing about 80. …. Spun out, with substantial damage to the front. He said it made a mighty bang, made me think that whenever you hear anyone who says that "they didn't realize that they had hit a person" is talking utter bo11öcks.

My old man "met" a cock pheasant back in the day. He was doing 60, he estimated the pheasant was doing 40, work it out - pheasants don't have crash helmets.

BUT, the radiator bars on the old man's car were bent to buggery and the radiator was in less than good shape.... he was not amused. The pheasant made no comment......

macliam Apr 11th 2019 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12669380)
I think you're going to see a lot more shit like raccoon or possum than venison in reality, that relative of yours got very lucky.

If he'd hit a possum or raccoon in the UK, it would have been a miracle!! :lol:

Nutmegger Apr 11th 2019 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12669396)
I watched the neighbour's cat playing with a scorpion, bat, bat , bat - the scorpion, tail up tried to face in the direction it thought the next paw was coming from. I deduce scorpions don't score well on IQ tests.

One of my favorite food chain episodes was when I found one of the dogs whirling a snake around its head -- with a frog halfway down the snake's gullet. The frog eventually came flying out and made its escape, and she got bored with the snake and let that go a little later. All lived to tell the tale. One of my really keen hunting dogs brought home, on various occasions, a skunk, a raccoon, and an opossum -- the latter right onto her bed in the living room. She also caught and devoured a small turtle once, crunching away below the deck while making maniacal little happy dog noises. Unhappily, when it came back she was in the house . . .

I ran over a rabbit in the early hours once in the UK, and hit what I'm pretty sure was a dog in pitch black in the US. I felt horrible about that and went back with a torch to try to find it, but wasn't successful. I'd like to think it got up and walked away, but have a nasty feeling I just couldn't find it, or it crawled away to shuffle off this mortal coil in the woods.

A deer's leg turned up in our driveway during the winter. Thought it might have been dropped by a bird of prey who found it after a car accident. We tossed it into the woods, and a day later it was back in the middle of the driveway, a little more chewed up, so someone was enjoying a meal they didn't have to work for.

macliam Apr 11th 2019 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12669398)
I would imagine that eventually the scorpion would have guessed correctly and landed a critical hit, so you probably did the cat a favor in the end there.

Maybe - the cat seemed pretty confident.

Scorpions seem to be really good at hitting you if they're hiding in your shoe or you (stupidly) poke about under rocks with your bare hands.... other than that they're about as much of a threat as a French A-bomb. Just don't tell them i said that.......:unsure:

Pulaski Apr 11th 2019 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12669396)
…. The cat was less than impressed.

That statement pretty much defines cats! :nod:

caretaker Apr 11th 2019 10:00 pm

Late at night on the way to Loon Lake I was driving 55mph in my friend's 70 something Cortina (North American) and a skunk got in the way. I thought, "If I swerve to the right, I'll hit it with the left tire, and if I swerve to the left, I'll hit it with the right tire... maybe it'll pass under the car.. " The car had about 3" clearance and I probably killed it with the license plate before it tumbled under the length of the car. We had it sitting in the bush for days with the doors open and it still stunk; my friend was furious.
When I was 16 I was hitch-hiking from Oliver to Osoyoos to see a girl and I got a ride with a lady on her way to work in the packing-house (orchard country). She hit a skunk, it flipped up behind the rad, got mangled by the fan, and landed on the manifold where it stuck. The smell was pretty bad. I told her to pull over, raised the hood, and scraped the skunk off with a stick I found in the ditch. She said "Ok, get in and let's go." and I opted to hitch another ride rather than continue in that car. Got a dirty look.

lizzyq Apr 12th 2019 12:55 am

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 12669355)
Do BE women never experience "Roadkill Guilt"?
Interesting that only guys have replied so far.
Could it be women are responsible for roadkill but don't feel guilt?
Or maybe women are just more nimble drivers :scarper: :lol:

speaking of roadkill.....This post is gonna land me in a heap of $h!t

Yes we do, but have no wish to relive the memories and the guilt by posting about it.

scrubbedexpat097 Apr 12th 2019 1:28 am

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 12669467)
Yes we do, but have no wish to relive the memories and the guilt by posting about it.

Yes:nod:

civilservant Apr 12th 2019 11:46 am

I just noticed this morning that said Possum did in fact break the grill at the bottom of the front end of my car, and that driving up my steep gravely driveway apparently knocked it loose.

I pushed it back into place for now, but will have to see if I can source a replacement.

macliam Apr 12th 2019 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12669628)
I just noticed this morning that said Possum did in fact break the grill at the bottom of the front end of my car, and that driving up my steep gravely driveway apparently knocked it loose.

I pushed it back into place for now, but will have to see if I can source a replacement.

Have you considered litigation? :huh:

civilservant Apr 12th 2019 12:04 pm

Don't get me started on that. I'm still being sued by the chicken truck driver that I hit when I wrote off my F-150.

caretaker Apr 12th 2019 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12669628)

Where do you have to go to get another possum in Georgia?

civilservant Apr 12th 2019 12:46 pm

Walk outside my front door and set a trap. Benefits of living in the middle of nowhere :rofl:

......the downside is the roadkill.

caretaker Apr 15th 2019 1:08 pm

A word about deer whistles (they stick on your bumper or roof and emit a high-pitched whistle that is supposed to alert or scare the deer); I've used them and only had 1 close call.... most of the time they won't work at all because they are clogged with dead insects, so they need attention with a little piece of wire from time to time. Most of the time when I was using them and saw deer, the deer were looking right at me, so they do hear it. The National Post is pretty much fish-wrap, but there are a few good points in here:
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...save-your-life

Rete Apr 15th 2019 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12669661)
Walk outside my front door and set a trap. Benefits of living in the middle of nowhere :rofl:

......the downside is the roadkill.

We're not in the boonies here but there is a possum in our large backyard now for about a year. Often seen raccoons and armadillos as road kill on the road around the corner from us.

Both hubby and I have run over feral kittens in our driveway. For me the stupid kitty was sitting on the top of my tire and when I rolled down the driveway, I ran it over. Was very upset. Hubby did the same thing the week before me.

Daughter had a six point buck run into her car and got his hoof caught in the rear tire. A patrol man and two drivers passing by, did rock and scissors to see who would kill it and take it home.