British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Roadkill Guilt (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/roadkill-guilt-924059/)

Steerpike Apr 24th 2019 7:28 pm

Re: Roadkill Guilt

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12675353)
If the shrimp wasn't run over by a car, it is of no interest in this thread.

I think this proves my point about Boiler; he hasn't posted anything in this thread yet, but my mention of his name almost immediately triggered a post from him ... some Bot was looking for threads with his name in them and that triggered a response ... the plot thickens ....

SultanOfSwing Apr 24th 2019 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12675372)
I think this proves my point about Boiler; he hasn't posted anything in this thread yet, but my mention of his name almost immediately triggered a post from him ... some Bot was looking for threads with his name in them and that triggered a response ... the plot thickens ....

That's a ridiculously good point now you come to mention it.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 24th 2019 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12669070)
My Neighbour hit an Elk, car was written off and when she came back the Elk had gone...

A lot of trucks around here.

See above

macliam Apr 25th 2019 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12675347)
On food well do not watch if you like Shrimp:
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJVrCnjL4a8

I have no problem with that video - apart from the fact that it fails to mention that seafood from any source is a major cause of food poisoning. As with pork, the reason for dietary laws banning seafood is because, in a hot climate, the chance of dying from food poisoning was just too high..... better to make them treif or haram.

It underlines my comments on other food too..... if it's cheap, it's cheap for a reason - and any use of antibiotics or other drugs and hormones should be declared by law.

At Ardnacrusha, on the Shannon, the dam blocks the migration route for Salmon. So there are "steps" to allow them past, but there were also tanks to allow Salmon to be bred from the roe and milt of those who didn't make it. When I visited as a kid, one tank held cross-bred Salmon/Trout which I was told would never be released. At feeding time a bucket of chopped liver was scooped out and cast on the surface..... and the result was akin to those Piranha shockers - the water boiled!! I "know" that Salmon Trout is just a misnomer, but whenever I see it on sale in the supermarket, I think back to Ardnacrusha.........:eek:

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 25th 2019 2:32 am

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12675477)
I have no problem with that video - apart from the fact that it fails to mention that seafood from any source is a major cause of food poisoning. As with pork, the reason for dietary laws banning seafood is because, in a hot climate, the chance of dying from food poisoning was just too high..... better to make them treif or haram.

It underlines my comments on other food too..... if it's cheap, it's cheap for a reason - and any use of antibiotics or other drugs and hormones should be declared by law.

At Ardnacrusha, on the Shannon, the dam blocks the migration route for Salmon. So there are "steps" to allow them past, but there were also tanks to allow Salmon to be bred from the roe and milt of those who didn't make it. When I visited as a kid, one tank held cross-bred Salmon/Trout which I was told would never be released. At feeding time a bucket of chopped liver was scooped out and cast on the surface..... and the result was akin to those Piranha shockers - the water boiled!! I "know" that Salmon Trout is just a misnomer, but whenever I see it on sale in the supermarket, I think back to Ardnacrusha.........:eek:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-H7Dmu8fuMnhv8

And Atlantic salmon smolts exposed to benzodiazepines—medications, such as Valium and Xanax, that are frequently used to treat anxiety—migrate nearly twice as quickly as their unmedicated counterparts. Recklessly so, for the juvenile fish are likely to arrive at the sea in an underdeveloped state and before seasonal conditions are favorable. The smolts do not usually exhibit such gusto: In fact, they are frequently observed traveling tail-first, as if reluctant. It would seem, then, that they have a cognitive and perhaps emotional switch that, when flipped, prompts them to strike out for sea. This complicates the common understanding of migration, which holds that animals are puppetted by seasonal cues and physical readiness (here, the adaptation of scales and gills to briny water). Pharmaceutical pollution reveals that a psychobiological release may also be required—to set off, the smolts must first surmount their own feelings of stress.

Pulaski Apr 25th 2019 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12675345)
…. I'd be quite fascinated to learn what goes on inside Boiler's head …..

I am fairly sure that's a really bad idea! :scaredhair:

civilservant Apr 25th 2019 11:07 am

Well this has meandered far away from the original point of the thread...

As to Boiler (or should we just starting calling him HAL 9000 at this point?).... he's just as bad over on VisaJourney too :rofl:

SultanOfSwing Apr 25th 2019 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12675586)
Well this has meandered far away from the original point of the thread...

As to Boiler (or should we just starting calling him HAL 9000 at this point?).... he's just as bad over on VisaJourney too :rofl:

I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave.

Anyway, I wish I could find the mouse that's been shitting on my desk and turn it into roadkill. I'm starting to think it was the ungrateful bastard that I set free the other week.

AlienUk Sep 6th 2019 1:44 pm

Life is fragile.
This morning, when Jeremy woke up, he had no clue that a few hours later, he would be lying dead on the roadside. It was a cloudy morning today, but nothing unusual. Jeremy lived on a busy road, right near a popular high school, he was used to the traffic that went up and down the road. He crossed it many times, just one of those things. But this morning, everything changed. It was 8.36am, harried parents were flagrantly disobeying the speed limit in order to ensure their kids got to school on time. Jeremy, like a million other times, crossed the road. But this time, he never made it to the other side. He saw a car coming, began to cross, then realized a vehicle was coming on the other side too. That indecision ultimately cost him his life. He turned back, and in a flash, was crushed by the unforgiving wheels of the first car.

RIP Jeremy, the squirrel I killed this morning. Forgive me.

lizzyq Sep 6th 2019 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by AlienUk (Post 12732486)
Life is fragile.
This morning, when Jeremy woke up, he had no clue that a few hours later, he would be lying dead on the roadside. It was a cloudy morning today, but nothing unusual. Jeremy lived on a busy road, right near a popular high school, he was used to the traffic that went up and down the road. He crossed it many times, just one of those things. But this morning, everything changed. It was 8.36am, harried parents were flagrantly disobeying the speed limit in order to ensure their kids got to school on time. Jeremy, like a million other times, crossed the road. But this time, he never made it to the other side. He saw a car coming, began to cross, then realized a vehicle was coming on the other side too. That indecision ultimately cost him his life. He turned back, and in a flash, was crushed by the unforgiving wheels of the first car.

Poor little Jeremy the Squishel :(

Steerpike Sep 6th 2019 3:26 pm

Life is fragile.

A fitting sendoff to a worthy creature. If it were a cat, on the other hand, a party would be called for ...

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 6th 2019 11:49 pm

Life is fragile.

It could have been suicide. He was probably bullied because of his name. If only his parents had named him Tufty just like all his other siblings.

sid nv Sep 7th 2019 3:44 am

The creature that strikes me as most intelligent when crossing the road is the Quail. Quails roam about in families and prefer to walk across the road, although they can fly in a push. They can always figure out which way to run whan a car approaches, the shortest path to safety. Chicks can be tiny, but parents scoot them out the way in good time. The only time they get caught out is when they are in the middle of the road and cars are coming both ways, so they are caught out in a pincer attack. In this situation I hit the brakes, and if I get rear-ended that is the other driver's problem.

As to cats, every cat has a unique personality. Some plod knowledgeably about the street and live to a venerable age, others like to play chicken and run across the street at the last moment under the wheels of a car.

Rabbits, well.

Steerpike Sep 7th 2019 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12732670)
It could have been suicide. He was probably bullied because of his name. If only his parents had named him Tufty just like all his other siblings.

Funnily enough, my g/f and I have always called every squirrel we see (and we see lots!) 'Jerry'. I have no idea where this came from but it's stuck with us to this day.

zzrmark Sep 7th 2019 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12732703)
Funnily enough, my g/f and I have always called every squirrel we see (and we see lots!) 'Jerry'. I have no idea where this came from but it's stuck with us to this day.

A likeness towards Jeremy Beadle perhaps? A small rat like creature that some people think is cute?