Roadkill Guilt

Old Apr 15th 2019, 2:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roadkill Guilt

Originally Posted by macliam
If he'd hit a possum or raccoon in the UK, it would have been a miracle!!
Badger and fox can be switched in as needed

Maybe - the cat seemed pretty confident.
Cats gonna cat.

Scorpions seem to be really good at hitting you if they're hiding in your shoe or you (stupidly) poke about under rocks with your bare hands.... other than that they're about as much of a threat as a French A-bomb. Just don't tell them i said that.......
I've yet to run into a scorpion in person. I'm kind of OK with that.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 4:25 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I've yet to run into a scorpion in person. I'm kind of OK with that.

Sorry about the quality - taken through glass.
Not chicken, just careful........
Old Apr 15th 2019, 4:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about the quality - taken through glass.
Not chicken, just careful........
Big nope from me.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Roadkill guilt doesn't tend to last long after the buggers have cost you a few bob fixing up the damage, although my mother still frets about the day she ran over a lamb...

I used to worry about deer when out on the bike at nights but the only one I ever hit was in a car. The bas#$rd jumped over a bank, into the road and took out my headlamps on one side and dinked the bonnet, then bounded off over the same bank.
I hit a pheasant whilst driving a 13 tonne box waggon, assume it died as I couldn't find it, the truck's windscreen looked like an elephant had parked it's arse on the passenger side and I was only doing 30, God only knows the mess it would make at 70.

The missus was a little unhappy when I ran over a tree rat a few months back.

However, my most 'interesting' roadkill was a rabbit, I have no idea how it didn't kill me. I was descending one of the interesting hills going into Totnes and doing about 40 at the moment of impact. There was blood and guts everywhere, it made a right mess, I even got it in my mouth.

Did I not mention that I was on my bicycle at the time...
​​​​​
Old Apr 17th 2019, 11:55 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
However, my most 'interesting' roadkill was a rabbit, I have no idea how it didn't kill me. I was descending one of the interesting hills going into Totnes and doing about 40 at the moment of impact. There was blood and guts everywhere, it made a right mess, I even got it in my mouth.​​​​​
Nice story, and just in time for Easter.

I'm going up north to give a friend a ride today, about 700 miles round trip, and I'll have to watch for animals. I heard there was a moose running around in the city last week though, (it's becoming more common in recent years) and people have hit them in town, so it can happen anywhere.

Old Apr 17th 2019, 3:43 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

If you hit a deer going at a fair speed chances are it will end up going through the windshield

Last edited by dc koop; Apr 17th 2019 at 3:47 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 5:32 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the day, my cousin in Ireland was sued for "hitting a cow"!
I'm not sure if you have the same thing in the north, Sultan - but the country roads in the south-west are often considerably lower than the level of the fields on each side and this cow broke through a hedge and dropped onto the bonnet of his car!!!
The cow sustained a broken leg and the car was pretty much banjaxed, as you'll imagine, but the law (at that time, don't know about now...) said that any collision between a vehicle and a cow was the driver's fault - so you can imagine how my cousin felt, car buggered and no insurance to claim against but his own - and then a bill for the cost of the cow!!
He didn't even get a steak out of it!!
Old Apr 20th 2019, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, I feel terrible, and the feelings come back whenever I am reminded of the incident, even years later! I have hit a few, thankfully very few animals, but I always feel bad about it.
I still remember (when reminded by a thread like this ) an incident back in the early 80s when I saw a cat in the road in London. It had already been hit by another car and was doing all kinds of contortions. Very unpleasant memory.

But on the flip side, I'm reminded of this timeless site. The first time I saw this, I literally cried with laughter and could not read through the tears.
"Missing Missy"

I used to know a graphic designer at one company who was exactly like this guy!
Old Apr 20th 2019, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
When confronted by a deer on the road, hit your brakes and your horn. Don't mess around, don't swerve, hit your brakes for all you're worth and then your horn. If you do hit it, at least you won't be going as fast. If there are more than 1 deer the horn may keep the others from entering the equation. People are frequently killed because they don't think fast enough. I was going about 55mph when I totalled a car on a deer. If it had been jumping it would have come right through the windshield. The last close call I had was in Montana and I left a twin trail of smoke from my tires for 50 yds behind the car. I stopped just inches from the deer.
There's some debate about whether it's appropriate to hit the brakes, though you are going to do that regardless due to instinct. The first speeding ticket I ever got in California resulted in a sobering lecture from the CHP guy; he asked, rhetorically, if I knew what happened if I'm doing 80mph and a deer runs out in front of me; he said first thing you do is hit the brakes, which causes your car to nose-dive and take the deer's legs out, which then flies in through your windshield. The theory is, you'd be better off not hitting the brakes and hitting the animal square on at the mid-section, and less likely to end up through the windshield. But as I said, there's no way you are going to 'not brake' anyway!

PS not a bad reason to have an SUV - rides higher and less likely to have animals entering through the windshield!
Old Apr 20th 2019, 6:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

No debate among anyone who's ever commuted through countryside heavily populated by deer. Hit the brakes as hard as you can and you might not hit the deer. Read the link I posted earlier from National Post; they discuss the difference between moose and deer and why it might help to release your brakes at the last second if you hit a moose. I hit a Whitetail square in the grill of my VW Rabbit, and if it had been at the top of it's arc as it jumped it would have come through the windshield. I missed the first one by inches, but the second one wasn't as lucky. I didn't have time to touch the brakes. After you hit one, you see them everywhere for quite awhile.
Edit: You could always try speeding up in the hopes that you'll be out of the way before the deer gets in front of you but I suggest making me your beneficiary before trying it out.

Last edited by caretaker; Apr 20th 2019 at 6:34 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Then there are the massive lines of geese who decide to wander out into the middle of the road on a whim, slowing us all down for no good reason other than to piss us off, because that's how geese are, shifty little beady-eyed bastards.
Literally minutes after reading your post above, I left the house and saw this ... had to wait for the guys to decide which way they wanted to go!

Cute little things!
Old Apr 20th 2019, 11:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Cute little things!
Awwww.

Old Apr 22nd 2019, 2:40 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Literally minutes after reading your post above, I left the house and saw this ... had to wait for the guys to decide which way they wanted to go!

Cute little things!
See what I mean, they just wander right out and expect you to rearrange your entire day on their whims.

And don't be fooled by those goslings, they'll grow up to be arseholes just like their parents. I'm forming an alliance with the crows, just in case things get serious.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 2:43 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

they'll grow up to be arseholes just like their parents.
The one on the right already appears to be goose-stepping. Actually they all seem to have it.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 2:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

… And don't be fooled by those goslings, they'll grow up to be arseholes ….
And those arseholes will $4!t all over everything, everywhere they go!

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 22nd 2019 at 2:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.