Roadkill Guilt

Old Apr 11th 2019, 8:40 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roadkill Guilt

Originally Posted by caretaker
When confronted by a deer on the road, hit your brakes and your horn. Don't mess around, don't swerve, hit your brakes for all you're worth and then your horn. If you do hit it, at least you won't be going as fast. If there are more than 1 deer the horn may keep the others from entering the equation. People are frequently killed because they don't think fast enough. I was going about 55mph when I totalled a car on a deer. If it had been jumping it would have come right through the windshield. The last close call I had was in Montana and I left a twin trail of smoke from my tires for 50 yds behind the car. I stopped just inches from the deer.
I've had a few run out in front of me, but in all cases they have been far enough away for me to see them in advance, or I've been going slow enough for it not to be an issue. But yeah, if one ever appear out of nowhere, I'm stamping on that mother****er with both feet and hoping for the best.

Then there are the massive lines of geese who decide to wander out into the middle of the road on a whim, slowing us all down for no good reason other than to piss us off, because that's how geese are, shifty little beady-eyed bastards.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Do BE women never experience "Roadkill Guilt"?
Interesting that only guys have replied so far.
Could it be women are responsible for roadkill but don't feel guilt?
Or maybe women are just more nimble drivers

speaking of roadkill.....This post is gonna land me in a heap of $h!t
Old Apr 11th 2019, 8:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Do BE women never experience "Roadkill Guilt"?
Interesting that only guys have replied so far.
Could it be women are responsible for roadkill but don't feel guilt?
Or maybe women are just more nimble drivers ….
Or they are entirely oblivious to what they have run over.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 8:54 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Or they are entirely oblivious to what they have run over.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadkill_cuisine

I wouldn't, I couldn't...... would you?
Old Apr 11th 2019, 9:09 pm
I have a comma problem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadkill_cuisine

No. Unless I was about to die or something then needs must, but otherwise no.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 9:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Generally "no", I might make an exception for fresh venison.

I relative driving a commercial vehicle in the UK during WWII hit and killed a deer. That was a time of rationing of foods, especially expensive foods like meat, and a windfall of fresh venison made a very welcome supplement to the family diet.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 9:13 pm
I have a comma problem

Generally "no", I might make an exception for fresh venison.

I relative driving a commercial vehicle in the UK during WWII hit and killed a deer. That was a time of rationing of foods, especially expensive foods like meat, and a windfall of fresh venison made a very welcome supplement to the family diet.
I think you're going to see a lot more shit like raccoon or possum than venison in reality, that relative of yours got very lucky.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I think you're going to see a lot more shit like raccoon or possum than venison in reality, that relative of yours got very lucky.
In the US even venison is highly variable, I am reliably informed by a colleague who hunts. In the Midwest the deer often get fat pilfering corn, and taste pretty dämn good, whereas in the Carolinas most deer live in woodland and dense thickets eating whatever they can find - at best acorns and pignuts, some wild strawberries and other wild fruits, and apparently taste a lot more "gamey".

Did you ever see Bear Grylls trying to demonstrate eating roasted skunk? Apparently they taste like they smell, all the way through to the bone!
Old Apr 11th 2019, 9:28 pm
I have a comma problem

In the US even venison is highly variable, I am reliably informed by a colleague who hunts. In the Midwest the deer often get fat pilfering corn, and taste pretty dämn good, whereas in the Carolinas most deer live in woodland and dense thickets eating whatever they can find - at best acorns and pignuts, some wild strawberries and other wild fruits, and apparently taste a lot more "gamey".
Yeah, I guess that makes sense that corn fed deer would taste better.

I've only had venison jerky though, and good (and made from Midwestern deer) as it was, it's really not the same thing.

Did you ever see Bear Grylls trying to demonstrate eating roasted skunk? Apparently they taste like they smell, all the way through to the bone!
So they taste like burnt coffee smeared in armpit sweat then. Good to know.

He probably washed it down with a freshly poured cup of his own piss didn't he, dirty beggar.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 9:37 pm

…. So they taste like burnt coffee smeared in armpit sweat then. Good to know.

He probably washed it down with a freshly poured cup of his own piss didn't he, dirty beggar.
He didn't make much progress with it at all, it tasted that bad. Given the wide variety of crap he was willing to eat. I think it speaks volumes that even he couldn't choke down skunk.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 9:39 pm
I have a comma problem

He didn't make much progress with it at all, it tasted that bad. Given the wide variety of crap he was willing to eat. I think it speaks volumes that even he couldn't choke down skunk.
The skunk, dead as it was, certainly had the last laugh there.

But yeah, he's usually game to eat just about anything.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 9:43 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I have a stink bug living in my office now, but I've never had one in the house. My other cat once wolfed down an earwig right in front of me though, which was nice.
I watched the neighbour's cat playing with a scorpion, bat, bat , bat - the scorpion, tail up tried to face in the direction it thought the next paw was coming from. I deduce scorpions don't score well on IQ tests.

The cat got bored, the scorpion made its escape .... into the jamjar I supplied.

I took it a few hundred metres away and made a gift of it to my other neighbour (well, his land, he lives 80Km away...)

The cat was less than impressed.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 9:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I've eaten 3 or 4 roadkilled deer, back when you could get a permit to salvage them for dogfood (and times were hard). Hit the front end of a jackrabbit once and ate the back half (more work than it was worth, tbh), and picked a partridge out of the grill once and ate it (that was good). The criteria is: Is it fresh? (is it still hot or at least warm?) How badly damaged is it? (if the insides are smashed there will be a lot of tainted meat and if it's severely bruised it won't be good) Have any scavengers been at it? (that's what they live on, birds, mice, coyotes, foxes.. all may carry diseases). I found a deer once while I was bowhunting that got his antlers caught in a double tree and bolted, breaking his neck. There were birds in the tree above him, but nothing had been at him yet (eyes intact), however it was from the day or night before and he was cold. I saved the antlers and rolled him down the hill for the coyotes. The one I hit with my car was sloshing as I dragged it off the road and I wasn't going to open that up. It was gone the next day so I think a local farmer may have taken it for his dogs.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 9:44 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by macliam
I watched the neighbour's cat playing with a scorpion, bat, bat , bat - the scorpion, tail up tried to face in the direction it thought the next paw was coming from. I deduce scorpions don't score well on IQ tests.

The cat got bored, the scorpion made its escape .... into the jamjar I supplied.

I took it a few hundred metres away and made a gift of it to my other neighbour (well, his land, he lives 80Km away...)

The cat was less than impressed.
I would imagine that eventually the scorpion would have guessed correctly and landed a critical hit, so you probably did the cat a favor in the end there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.