British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Road paint and cat's eyes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/road-paint-cats-eyes-909511/)

Octang Frye Feb 20th 2018 9:50 pm

Road paint and cat's eyes

Rant: Sunday, driving down from Breckenridge to Denver, light snow turning into freezing fog. Visibility goes down to literally 20 yards, perhaps 15. People whizzing by at 60mph. Insanity.

Anyway, the roads here in Colorado are a complete joke. Moreover the paint - non-reflective - and complete lack of cats eyes. It's 2018. Just pisses me off that they paint the roads with crappy paint that just rubs off and is impossible to see if there's the slightest bit of moisture. Disgraceful.

GeoffM Feb 20th 2018 10:44 pm

Re: Road paint and cat's eyes

Some freeways here are the beige coloured concrete with white lines - no contrast at all, and the lines disappear in the rain, and few cats eyes. It's even worse when the lane markings veer away from the concrete segment edges. When it rains you can pass an accident every 10-20 miles easily.

There are some, presumably newer, freeways which do have the contrasting black and white lines, double-double yellow lines between HOV and normal lanes, and cats eyes though. But then they do roadworks and it's like my first paragraph.

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 20th 2018 11:32 pm

Driving back to Denver on I 70 on a Sunday was your first mistake.

Bob Feb 21st 2018 12:42 am

They put in cateyes a few years ago around here. First winter snow and the plough trucks dug them all out.

A town over has tried putting them in again, but countersunk this time, a little deeper. Only on some of the bigger roads though.

rpjs Feb 21st 2018 12:50 am

For a while a year or so ago there were stretches of I-95 around New Haven that were being resurfaced and had no lane markings at all for a while, just a few catseyes. Quite terrifying even in daylight and good weather.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 21st 2018 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 12446934)
Rant: Sunday, driving down from Breckenridge to Denver, light snow turning into freezing fog. Visibility goes down to literally 20 yards, perhaps 15. People whizzing by at 60mph. Insanity.

Anyway, the roads here in Colorado are a complete joke. Moreover the paint - non-reflective - and complete lack of cats eyes. It's 2018. Just pisses me off that they paint the roads with crappy paint that just rubs off and is impossible to see if there's the slightest bit of moisture. Disgraceful.

Up in British Columbia here when it rains and is dark, it's pretty much a free for all. No reflective paint, no cat eyes, and white painted lines that are impossible to see.

Once across into WA state however, reflective yellow and white paint as well as cat eyes, and on our most recent trip from Canadian border to San Diego, pretty much all the freeways we were on had reflective paint and cat eyes.

The excuse in BC is cat eyes cannot be used due to snow clearing, but in WA & OR they have cat eyes and it snows in parts as well....

plasticbag_uk Feb 21st 2018 3:36 am

"Lack of cats eyes" ?
I have lived here for almost 18 years as a truck driver, I have driven in all 48 lower states, the only state where I have seen cats eyes on a highway is MA.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 21st 2018 4:48 am

Originally Posted by plasticbag_uk (Post 12447143)
"Lack of cats eyes" ?
I have lived here for almost 18 years as a truck driver, I have driven in all 48 lower states, the only state where I have seen cats eyes on a highway is MA.

They are all over the I-5 as of 3 weeks ago as did the I-10 through Palm Springs area.

I-5 in So. California, can see the reflectors in the photo.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3940/1...3c7def04_b.jpg

BenK91 Feb 21st 2018 1:26 pm

I-25 near the Denver Tech Centre is getting worse every week. Just as I need to start merging for my exit there's a collection of potholes that can only be described as the Grand Canyon. Trying to avoid those, and general twats that can't drive trying to merge against the direction I'm going is also a delight.

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 21st 2018 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by BenK91 (Post 12447508)
I-25 near the Denver Tech Centre is getting worse every week. Just as I need to start merging for my exit there's a collection of potholes that can only be described as the Grand Canyon. Trying to avoid those, and general twats that can't drive trying to merge against the direction I'm going is also a delight.

I went through there the other week, going from IKEA to Boulder, should have used 470

BenK91 Feb 21st 2018 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12447575)
I went through there the other week, going from IKEA to Boulder, should have used 470

I'm in Westminster, so the nearest 470 entrance for me is only a few miles away so I always use it when going to and from the airport. It's got to be one of the most boring drives though. Gives me vibes of driving to Northern California from Denver with my wife when driving across Wyoming :unsure:

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 21st 2018 3:18 pm

I am a cheap bastard so will not pay the toll.

When I drive up the TurnPike often wonder how much they get from the toll lane, does not see heavily used but might at busier times.

BenK91 Feb 21st 2018 3:19 pm

Photo from my office taken a few moments ago. I-25 northbound in its early morning prime, pretty much standstill:

http://i63.tinypic.com/df8707.jpg

GeoffM Feb 21st 2018 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by plasticbag_uk (Post 12447143)
"Lack of cats eyes" ?

When they resurfaced a local road near here, they put in those temporary plastic reflective flap things. A week later they painted the lines back in... in a different place to the flaps. Very disconcerting to drive when one pair of markers tracks left while the other set of markers veer right! Another week after that they put the cats eyes back in, this time on the lines!

Cats eyes are fairly common on highways here. Just not consistently so.

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 21st 2018 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by BenK91 (Post 12447613)
Photo from my office taken a few moments ago. I-25 northbound in its early morning prime, pretty much standstill:

http://i63.tinypic.com/df8707.jpg

I can do the blue skies and the snow but not the buildings or the traffic.

Got a bit chilly last night, -10 when I got up but no wind and blue skies makes a big difference.